Who do you hate ?

Discuss Kiesel Guitars Endorsers and Professional Players

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Who do you hate ?

Postby texastoast » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:59 pm

I hate a few professional players. Not because they are not good. But too good.
An example or two would include Dave Grohl and Chris Degarmo.

Dave Grohl gets to be a drummer in one of the most influential bands since the 70's(I never liked them but understand the impact). Then gets to play guitar and front a kick ass old school rock band. Writes good, sings good. I hate him.

My two dreams in life were to be a rock star or a pilot. Chris Degarmo now flies Lear jets since being a rock star was so "been there done that". And the say he is an extremely good pilot. I hate him for living both of my dreams.

While I am at it, that Mike Jones guy at Carvin is getting under my skin. He gets to live in Cali, hang with musicians all day. Can walk in the back any time and sniff the new case smell. And gets to make people happy by selling them cool stuff. What a dork.

CMGio
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: Who do you hate ?

Postby CMGio » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:49 pm

I have a somewhat lengthy list of players (and musicians as a whole) that I don't particularly care for. But that's more due to arrogance / ignorance / stupid opinions (pot calling the kettle black a little bit, I know), that sorta thing.

I've yet to experience the "I don't like them because they're too good" kind of thing, at least off the top of my head, though I do know what exactly you mean. I have that same emotion toward a lot of hockey players...
Arsenal:
2011 DC131C
2012 TL60C
1988 DC125R
2013 CS424
2014 DC600C

Note: Repeated head trauma has potentially damaged this user's credibility.

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:19 pm

I hate so-called guitar or tone experts that give guitarists too much hype and I despise young guitarists of today that think they know what's good gear when they really jumped on the bandwagon (metal guitarists that play with Fender strats in drop B on Marshalls...are they kidding me?)

In terms of hype, (I will get flamed for this but) why is Slash so much hype? He is a cool guitarist and all but most, if not, all of his solos are nothing but emotion. I looked up multiple live videos of him and...I wasn't impressed. Yet he's considered better than Dimebag (R.I.P.), Herman Li, Phil Sgrosso, Corey Beaulieu, and Francesco Artusato. I'm sorry but 'best guitarist' from writers for example like the Rolling Stone and best tone from guys like the so-called 'Tone King' is just bad.

Flame me away...

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 am

Roger Waters because he is basically a historical landmark of music, but kind of a "butt-head".

ElfDude

Re: re: Who do you hate ?

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:52 am

nascarbean_97 wrote:Roger Waters because he is basically a historical landmark of music, but kind of a "butt-head".

LOL!

Yeah... but he has done a lot of growing up since the 80's. :mrgreen:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Raymeous
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Raymeous » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Hate? Not many as they probably don't deserve my time. (Was that arrogant enough for you?)

Jealous? Yep sometimes. When Jason Becker showed up he was only a few years older than me, but miles ahead playing wise. Grrr that frustrated me. Live and learn.

The only musician types I don't like are the ever present musical "experts" that will tell you that this or that is the best, or generally just regurgitate the usual opinions without thinking for themselves.

Admittedly I'm guilty of playing the "expert" role all too often, but I usually try to at least justify my position on a given topic by telling you how I came to that conclusion. Simply saying something sucks carries no weight unless you can explain why, or how to fix it. My dos centavos.
"Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but sometimes we have to paint it on ourselves" - Me

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 pm

ElfDude wrote:
nascarbean_97 wrote:Roger Waters because he is basically a historical landmark of music, but kind of a "butt-head".

LOL!

Yeah... but he has done a lot of growing up since the 80's. :mrgreen:

It's true! I will give him that! And I have spent many hours listening to his voice. :wink:

jfine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby jfine » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Oooh--the hate thread! :evil: OK, here goes...
Any band with Cookie Monster vocals.
Any band that can't (or won't) play in tune. Come on, guys, we have electronic tuners now!
Rap.
Electronic/techno dance music without a musician in sight.
DJ's.
Blues players whose roots don't go back any further than Stevie Ray Vaughan (although I love Stevie Ray Vaughan.)
Young folks who dis the Beatles because they're not "heavy", whatever that means.

CMGio
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby CMGio » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:08 am

jfine wrote:Young folks who dis the Beatles because they're not "heavy", whatever that means.

My dislike for the Beatles has nothing to do with "heaviness."

Yeah, I'm one of those people.

No, my problem with the Beatles has always been that I just don't get what makes them so ridiculously good. It's probably because I'm young and wasn't around for music pre-Beatles, but all of their stuff has always sounded very average to me. Yeah, I know, the British Invasion and whatnot, but it's so overhyped as being the end-all be-all of "rock music," that I've just never understood all the praise.

Now, I usually get roasted at the spit for saying those kind of things, so let me follow up with this:

I respect the hell out of the Beatles. I get that The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones (and a couple more bands I've never liked) broke new ground -- they were doing something that largely had not been done before.
And if it weren't for them, most of my influences never would have given a rat's behind about music and I wouldn't be here.

But I've never liked their music.
Arsenal:

2011 DC131C

2012 TL60C

1988 DC125R

2013 CS424

2014 DC600C

CMGio
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby CMGio » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:31 am

I don't normally do this, but I felt my actual list and my semi-anti-Beatles rant ought to be in separate posts...

-Nickelback and the "Nickelback" effect among other bands.
i.e. The "Let's drop tune our guitars and write songs about drinking, partying and womanizing so we seem edgy, that way we can sell more records in [this demographic range]" train-of-thought. It all seems so forced to me.

-Anyone who swears that this company, or this band, or this genre is the best at what they do. It's not an opinion, it's a fact and if you disagree, you're an idiot.

-"Jinxx" and Jake Pitts from Black Veil Brides
I hate Black Veil Brides altogether, but their guitarists especially bother me. They're arrogant (read some of the interviews they've done with Guitar World, etc., for example) and condescending, despite the fact that they don't have a whole lot of talent to back it up. Also it really bothers me that Jinxx has the name of an afternoon stripper, and that's apparently cool.

-Ronnie Radke (Escape the Fate / Falling In Reverse)
He's not a guitarist, but he's an idiot. He's known for picking fights with other bands, abusing his fanbase and kicking people out of his shows for wearing t-shirts of the wrong bands.

-Rap "music"
It's unfair to throw all of it together, because there is some talent in that genre, despite the fact that I don't really consider it music -- that's an entirely different conversation, though.
My distaste is more for gangster rap and the popularized rap persona, though. It's less about the art form and more about showing off how much money you have, how many cars you have, how many women you've had intercourse with (and how much you did or didn't have to pay for it), how many times you've been shot and how many "haters" you've shot, etc. It's disgusting to me.

-DJs who tout themselves as musicians (Dubstep especially)
I have no problem with guys like Deadmau5, who describes himself as a "professional button pusher," because that is essentially what DJs do. They cut, paste, turn knobs and push buttons -- largely with somebody else's work. When they're honest about that, I don't really have a problem. A good amount of it has a nice beat you can tap your foot to and a lot of it is actually pretty fun if you put your musician snobbery aside (I speak from personal experience).
However, it's the people who do what I described above, with the arrogance and ignorance that I dislike so much, that really bug me. There's little to no musicianship involved and you are, a good amount of the time, by and large, taking credit for somebody else's work...and turning it into noise.

-I hate Skrillex's music so much he gets his own separate mention away from DJs and Dubstep.

-I can't stand most Djent bands and those in related categories.
I don't get it. A lot of what I've heard of it is just rhythm. There's little to no melody at all and it's been down-tuned so much that it is predominantly just chugging.
On a related note not prevalent enough for it's own individual mention: overly technical bands. I have no problem with technicality and complexity in music, except when it's what everything you do is based on. You spend so much time on your crazy progressive guitar progressions and riffs that the rest of the music involved is just slapped together as a tag along.
There are some bands that fall into the djent category that I don't mind at all, though: Scale the Summit, Animals As Leaders and a couple others are good examples of that.

-Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom.
He's an arrogant drunkard as far as I'm concerned.

I also have a list of several revered guitarists that I find overrated, but that's a crucifixion I'll save for another day...
Arsenal:

2011 DC131C

2012 TL60C

1988 DC125R

2013 CS424

2014 DC600C

Raymeous
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Raymeous » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:01 am

^ +1

Little more on the Djent thing. First off: What a friggin stupid name for a genre of music. I guess its named for what the guitars sound like:

Djent..... djent djent djent.... djent djent.....djent.....djentdjetndjetndjetn... djent. Or maybe its for the way the Martians talked in Mars Attacks.

I used to like Meshugaah when there was still a melodic component to it. Now the boyz, and their copy cats, just want to be drum machines more or less.

8-Strings? This feels hypocritical having bought my first 7 string when there were only two to choose from (the white one or the black one with green pickups), but if you're playing an 8 string you might as well admit that you want to play bass. I mean you're only two notes away, and you'll probably be drop tuning to that anyway.

The sad thing to me is that most players with an extended range guitar like a 7 or an 8 (or even up to 9 strings and more) are primarily doing it for the chugging. Notey scale work doesn't count as being creative. Trust me, I've done it. Very few players actually use the instrument with the intent of expanding their playing. They just want heavy.

If people started using them more as an complete compositional tool I would be impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIIhCX_Nu4

Ok I'll step off my :soapbox: now.
"Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but sometimes we have to paint it on ourselves" - Me

CMGio
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby CMGio » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 am

Raymeous wrote:Little more on the Djent thing. First off: What a friggin stupid name for a genre of music. I guess its named for what the guitars sound like:

Djent..... djent djent djent.... djent djent.....djent.....djentdjetndjetndjetn... djent. Or maybe its for the way the Martians talked in Mars Attacks.

The martians in Mars Attacks actually made an ACK sound.

ACK ACK ACK ACK ACKACKACK ACK ACKACK ACK ACK.

I can do (what I believe is) a pretty darn close impression, which my nephew loves, for the record. 8)
Arsenal:

2011 DC131C

2012 TL60C

1988 DC125R

2013 CS424

2014 DC600C

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:28 am

I don't really "hate" anyone in the music industry, but there are certain things in it I don't like. I'm not a rap fan at all, for instance.

I also don't like how country music has basically turned into southern rock in the past 20 years. That doesn't mean there aren't bad songs in the genre since there have been quite a few catchy tunes, but it's just not the same as 30-40 years ago.

I'm not a fan of death metal or any sort of metal that doesn't sound like '80s Metallica/Racer X/etc. Placing too much emphasis on low tunings and chugging on the lowest note on an 8-string just don't appeal to me.

I also don't like it when someone in the music industry has a bad attitude and thinks they're above regular people. I like positive, friendly, humble and genuinely nice people in all walks of life, famous or not.

Now that all the semi-negative stuff is over, I'll point out a few people in the industry I am very impressed with:

1. Paul Gilbert. This man is amazing. He is an incredible guitar player, but every time I see an interview of him on YouTube he is positive, funny, and always seems to enjoy talking about what he does, and even though I'm nowhere near his level just hearing his playing makes it more fun for me to play.

2. Pete Thorn. He's a very underrated player, and his gear reviews are second to none due to how thorough they are and the quality of the audio. It's like everything he does he tries to do it the best he possibly can, even if it's a 3-minute YouTube video. Who else writes an original riff that's better than a lot of tracks I've heard on actual albums for every piece of equipment they review?

3. Eric Johnson. I'm not too familiar with him, but he seems like the nicest guy ever, and he sounds amazing, especially when playing clean.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

potatohead
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby potatohead » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:59 am

CMGio wrote:-Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom.
He's an arrogant drunkard as far as I'm concerned.

He's one of the best writers/players of our era. That band has been around forever and I believe he's only 33. I do agree with 95% of what you have said in this thread though.
V3M 212
2012 DC700 (gloss spalt)
2013 CS6 x 2 (satin purple flame, satin green flame)
2013 CS4 (satin black)
2015 CT4 (satin blue ash w/ AAT)

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:58 pm

ARodYankFan wrote:I hate so-called guitar or tone experts that give guitarists too much hype and I despise young guitarists of today that think they know what's good gear when they really jumped on the bandwagon (metal guitarists that play with Fender strats in drop B on Marshalls...are they kidding me?)

In terms of hype, (I will get flamed for this but) why is Slash so much hype? He is a cool guitarist and all but most, if not, all of his solos are nothing but emotion. I looked up multiple live videos of him and...I wasn't impressed. Yet he's considered better than Dimebag (R.I.P.), Herman Li, Phil Sgrosso, Corey Beaulieu, and Francesco Artusato. I'm sorry but 'best guitarist' from writers for example like the Rolling Stone and best tone from guys like the so-called 'Tone King' is just bad.

Flame me away...

I hate the fact that Herman Li doesn't get anywhere near the respect he deserves because the band he's in is a little bit cheesy. :wink:

ferret
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby ferret » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 pm

CMGio wrote:-DJs who tout themselves as musicians (Dubstep especially)
I have no problem with guys like Deadmau5, who describes himself as a "professional button pusher," because that is essentially what DJs do. They cut, paste, turn knobs and push buttons -- largely with somebody else's work. When they're honest about that, I don't really have a problem. A good amount of it has a nice beat you can tap your foot to and a lot of it is actually pretty fun if you put your musician snobbery aside (I speak from personal experience).
However, it's the people who do what I described above, with the arrogance and ignorance that I dislike so much, that really bug me. There's little to no musicianship involved and you are, a good amount of the time, by and large, taking credit for somebody else's work...and turning it into noise.

This paragraph kinda morphs from "DJs who call themselves musicians" to "Anyone involved in electronic music, especially dubstep" .... The vast majority of these electronic genres are not remixes, or taking credit for anyone else's work. Certainly, remixes (Of pop songs already with some fame) tend to get more mainstream attention than the bulk of the genre, which could lend that feeling. But that's far from the entire genre, and there's a lot of very talented people at work here who often get sh*t on due to the whole "doesn't even play guitar" type sentiment.

A pure DJ, I can possibly agree with you and understand how that could be annoying. The entire genre, not so much.

If I've misunderstood, my apologies. :) I debate posting, but felt the need to defend the genre some. There's a lot of good stuff here, and certainly bad as well, like any genre.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:05 pm

This hate is not dislike. It is jealous or envious hate is what I was talking about. But that being said I like the actual hate rants more. So who do I really hate in the hate kind of hate.

Stars that are too big for the fans. Stars they feel need to inject the political views upon the rest. Dixie chicks any body ? Helping causes and raising money is noble. Madonna and alike should continue to adopt poor kids and feed the hungry. Just do it on your time. When you are on stage it is my time and I am there to hear music. Not politics. Unless of course it is an actual benefit / fundraiser or political event. If so have at it.

Fans that ruin access to stars by being jerks and forcing stars to keep a distance. Dime and John Lennon are the extreme examples. I once saw a vid of a fan really showing emotion to that Marlyn Manson guy. He was cool and told security to let him in so he could sign something for him. The dill weed then proceed to remove Mr. Mansons wig and ran off. People like that ruin it for the rest. Fans that wont allow people to eat their dinner.

Musicians that steal gear from other musician is the worst act of an apostate their can be.

On that note when I was 15 I stole a chorus pedal from the Sheraton Inn in Concord Ca. It was over 30 years ago and it still bothers me. If I ever could find the guy I would replace the boss pedal I stole and beg for forgiveness.

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:03 pm

CMGio wrote:
-I can't stand most Djent bands and those in related categories.
I don't get it. A lot of what I've heard of it is just rhythm. There's little to no melody at all and it's been down-tuned so much that it is predominantly just chugging.
On a related note not prevalent enough for it's own individual mention: overly technical bands. I have no problem with technicality and complexity in music, except when it's what everything you do is based on. You spend so much time on your crazy progressive guitar progressions and riffs that the rest of the music involved is just slapped together as a tag along.
There are some bands that fall into the djent category that I don't mind at all, though: Scale the Summit, Animals As Leaders and a couple others are good examples of that.

So that's what djent is. I hear that EVERYWHERE without knowing what in the world that is. I don't mind 8-strings. I just don't like when those bands think the Crunch Lab or P.A.F. 7 in the bridge has ANY potential of having a good metal. HEnce why Ibanez also fails in the metal (Iron Core) department; look at their 7-string S under that label...

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jazpur » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:57 am

texastoast wrote:
Stars that are too big for the fans. Stars they feel need to inject the political views upon the rest. Dixie chicks any body ? Helping causes and raising money is noble. Madonna and alike should continue to adopt poor kids and feed the hungry. Just do it on your time. When you are on stage it is my time and I am there to hear music. Not politics. Unless of course it is an actual benefit / fundraiser or political event. If so have at it.

I'm a longtime Deadhead, & know better than to listen to what a musician says or thinks, but how about Nugent anybody?? I honestly usually don't care about a musicians views, but I truly despise that dude because he insists on spouting exaggerated political absurdities, & the only reason anyone even hears him is because he's a popular musician. (& imho sadly a Carvin endorsee I may add... they'd prob get MORE business without him!) :shh:

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Raymeous wrote:
8-Strings? This feels hypocritical having bought my first 7 string when there were only two to choose from (the white one or the black one with green pickups), but if you're playing an 8 string you might as well admit that you want to play bass. I mean you're only two notes away, and you'll probably be drop tuning to that anyway.

The sad thing to me is that most players with an extended range guitar like a 7 or an 8 (or even up to 9 strings and more) are primarily doing it for the chugging. Notey scale work doesn't count as being creative. Trust me, I've done it. Very few players actually use the instrument with the intent of expanding their playing. They just want heavy.

If people started using them more as an complete compositional tool I would be impressed.

Ok I'll step off my :soapbox: now.

Here's a guy with an 8 string who's doing very little chugging - enjoy!
Charlie Hunter

Return to Pro Players