Who do you hate ?

Discuss Kiesel Guitars Endorsers and Professional Players

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Barnacle Bob
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Who do you hate ?

Postby Barnacle Bob » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm a longtime Deadhead, & know better than to listen to what a musician says or thinks, but how about Nugent anybody?? I honestly usually don't care about a musicians views, but I truly despise that dude because he insists on spouting exaggerated political absurdities, & the only reason anyone even hears him is because he's a popular musician. (& imho sadly a Carvin endorsee I may add... they'd prob get MORE business without him!) Shh

Kind of like hating the Dixie Chicks for their political views. Who's going to base their vote on their opinion? I saw a special on them, and they appear to be a bunch of skanks. Great tunes though.

Ted's an in-your-face guy who likes to say things for shock value. I don't want to kill a deer, even with a bow and arrow, and they eat my vegetables. I agree with him on quite a few subjects, but I don't turn to him for astute political analysis. I'll take my Bernese over a 9mm or even a pump shotgun for home protection any time. Works great on the deer too.

How may times have you heard him say that he has a hunters' training camp for kids and he sells venison jerky? He's frequently working when he talks.

Stormtrooper/Stranglehold is one of my faves. Great White Buffalo too. I remember when I was a teen growing up near Chicago, there was a radio ad for an indoor concert in Indiana where they were going to have a battle of the bands to decide if Nugent or Montrose played louder.

You gotta love anybody who can play a semi-hollow body that loud.

I don't hate anybody. Anger and fear are kissing cousins. Don't be afraid (who used to say that over and over?).

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: Who do you hate ?

Postby Casual Madman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:58 pm

CMGio wrote:No, my problem with the Beatles has always been that I just don't get what makes them so ridiculously good.
I get that The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones (and a couple more bands I've never liked) broke new ground -- they were doing something that largely had not been done before.
And if it weren't for them, most of my influences never would have given a rat's behind about music and I wouldn't be here.

Oh, look: you answered your own question!

Albums like The Beatles or Sergeant Pepper's, and pop songs like "Eleanor Rigby" or "Lucy in the Sky" weren't just great music (although they were that); they were examples of music that was mostly unconceived-of before the Beatles created them.

Listen to a modern band like Foo Fighters. Nothing you hear would have existed without the Beatles--and you can throw The Who into that equation, too.

I'm like you (mostly) about The Who, by the way--most of their music never resonated with me, outside of a small handful of songs (mostly from Quadrophenia). But they're another band that helped to completely remake the soundscape of popular music.

We all owe an unpayable debt to our predecessors.

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jazpur » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Barnacle Bob wrote:
I'm a longtime Deadhead, & know better than to listen to what a musician says or thinks, but how about Nugent anybody?? I honestly usually don't care about a musicians views, but I truly despise that dude because he insists on spouting exaggerated political absurdities, & the only reason anyone even hears him is because he's a popular musician. (& imho sadly a Carvin endorsee I may add... they'd prob get MORE business without him!) Shh

Kind of like hating the Dixie Chicks for their political views. Who's going to base their vote on their opinion? I saw a special on them, and they appear to be a bunch of skanks. Great tunes though.

Ted's an in-your-face guy who likes to say things for shock value. I don't want to kill a deer, even with a bow and arrow, and they eat my vegetables. I agree with him on quite a few subjects, but I don't turn to him for astute political analysis. I'll take my Bernese over a 9mm or even a pump shotgun for home protection any time. Works great on the deer too.

How may times have you heard him say that he has a hunters' training camp for kids and he sells venison jerky? He's frequently working when he talks.

Stormtrooper/Stranglehold is one of my faves. Great White Buffalo too. I remember when I was a teen growing up near Chicago, there was a radio ad for an indoor concert in Indiana where they were going to have a battle of the bands to decide if Nugent or Montrose played louder.

You gotta love anybody who can play a semi-hollow body that loud.

I don't hate anybody. Anger and fear are kissing cousins. Don't be afraid (who used to say that over and over?).

lol! yea I'll take my Aussies too... I totally agree. Actually it aint so much gun stuff ... I'm all for hunting but not really into handguns. Grew up hunting in the south & man deer can be quite annoying, but reached the age of reason & got out of there to escape the old ideology I was around. And I guess to me dixie chicks are not spouting the same brand of rhetoric... "political" topics are not all the same & while it's ALL corny regardless who it is or point being made, that dude takes it to another level! :shock: All the anti guv'ment this n that is childish.

anyways, not real hatred per se. I mean sure I disagree with him but wish him no harm... maybe some insight & common sense, but nothin bad. :wink:
STRANGS:'16 A6, '14 CarvinSH65, '14 MM A. Lee SSS, '13 Bishline D. Barnes, '05 Huss & Dalton 000, '97 Martin D-1.

xjbebop
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby xjbebop » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 pm

I hate haters...............................................

:mrgreen:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Haters gonna hate.

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jazpur » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:08 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Haters gonna hate.

I hope you don't mean me... thats not even close to hate. I understand hate & what it does. And I wouldn't hope it on anyone, but maybe if you too had your sister blown up (okc) by someone who aligned himself with similar extreme anti-gov views he says you'd change your outlook or what you consider real hate too. What Ted spews IS actual hatred... some nice irony there, & trying to "out" me as a "hater" based on what I said in a pretty honest way without just name-calling but explaining why on a thread NAMED "Who do you hate?" is just silly.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:46 pm

No, I just thought it was an opportunity to use some internet "slang". :)

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jazpur » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:49 pm

spudmunkey wrote:No, I just thought it was an opportunity to use some internet "slang". :)

whew good!! ok my bad then... I'm glad it was just an odd coincidence of timing to my post, and that you did not need a change in perspective as to what hatred actually is and how repeated hateful rhetoric by a celebrity may reach the wrong kid and plant seeds in there that can lead to who knows what some day like my family experienced, versus an exaggerated evaluation of a valid criticism that will often get labeled as hate all too quickly on forums by the overly sensitive folks worried things will spiral into political crazy land. But sweet! Glad to hear it... you had me worried there that you may be one of em. :applause:

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Who do you hate ?

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:20 am

texastoast wrote:I hate a few professional players. Not because they are not good. But too good.
An example or two would include Dave Grohl and Chris Degarmo.

Dave Grohl gets to be a drummer in one of the most influential bands since the 70's(I never liked them but understand the impact). Then gets to play guitar and front a kick ass old school rock band. Writes good, sings good. I hate him.

My two dreams in life were to be a rock star or a pilot. Chris Degarmo now flies Lear jets since being a rock star was so "been there done that". And the say he is an extremely good pilot. I hate him for living both of my dreams.

While I am at it, that Mike Jones guy at Carvin is getting under my skin. He gets to live in Cali, hang with musicians all day. Can walk in the back any time and sniff the new case smell. And gets to make people happy by selling them cool stuff. What a dork.

Like others, "hate" is a bit harsh and hard to come up with.

Rock + pilot you say? Don't forget Bruce from Iron Maiden. Do you know his resume? Amazing guy.

So, lemme see (pun in tended - get it?). Ok first off, I'm repelled by these sterile shredder guys. Satch plays with a sterility that is like styrofoam. I WANT to like his sound and can't. Similarly, Joe Bonamassa leaves me totally cold. His precision and chops are stupendous - but he does not come across at a feeling level to me at all. It's like a manikin playing a pre-recorded digital sample. Completely lifeless and dead. If either of those guys, or any like them, were on TV, I would switch the channel. Let me be clear - it's not the music or the genre. It's the intellectual, cold detachment regardless of form.

As I believe Joe Walsh said - something like, "I'd rather hear BB King play 2 notes in 10 seconds of time than Eddie Van Halen play 100 in the same time." or something like that. It's an imperfect application as he seems to be indicating style as much as anything. I'm limiting my comment to mere detachment, not number of notes -- but I hope you see my point nonetheless.

Closer to "hate" would be all this stuff since the late 90's or early 2000's or whenever that is pre-canned, auto-tuned, beats, synth bass, club stuff. What crap.

:mrgreen:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:Rock + pilot you say? Don't forget Bruce from Iron Maiden. Do you know his resume? Amazing guy.

Steve Morse at one point quit the music business completely to be a pilot for Atlantic Southeast Airlines (the Delta commuter-flight partner). Flying was a lifelong dream of his. I've never read why he gave it up to go back to the guitar, but I'm glad he did.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:05 am

Casual Madman wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:Rock + pilot you say? Don't forget Bruce from Iron Maiden. Do you know his resume? Amazing guy.

Steve Morse at one point quit the music business completely to be a pilot for Atlantic Southeast Airlines (the Delta commuter-flight partner). Flying was a lifelong dream of his. I've never read why he gave it up to go back to the guitar, but I'm glad he did.

Yeah, I much rather hear Bruce belt than see him in a hangar for sure.

:wink:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

FlyingV
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby FlyingV » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:12 am

I hate [not really] there was no internet when I was young [free music lessons from around the world 24/7, are you kidding me!

I hate [not really] the few musicians who didn't say to me - "have you heard of scales and chords and how they are related" when I was starting out. Letting someone intentionally remain ignorant to make yourself feel better/superior to someone else, especially a young person passionate and wanting to learn, is pretty mean. Short sighted too, I would have been thankful for a lifetime.

I hate [not hate, but darn] myself because I grew up in North Hollywood around a lot of music industry people/legends. I had opportunities that people would kill for in hindsight. I lacked guidance, a mentor. I lacked what it took to figure it out myself mostly, a lot due to being on the street at age 16 and needing to get a job and support myself rather than being in school gaining a formal education and forming life long friendships. Pretty sad, I try not to think about it past the lessons learned and how to do better every day and try and pass it on to someone who seems to be in a situation I once was.
Last edited by FlyingV on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
[2] DC7X 27", Loomis 26.5", S7G 27.5", Walden CE550, Ibanez 7 nylon string.
My Kiesel wish list - All 7 strings. All 27" scale option.
New symmetrical V7X, X227X, TL7X, C77X Bolt [smooth heel]
Semi-Hollow CT7. Head or Headless [CODA's photoshop]

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:24 am

I remember at age 16 going to see a midnight screening of the film Yessongs (which was already several years old). I was SO excited that I was going to see what this band that had made me so happy and excited about music for the past year actually looked like when they were playing.

And I was completely blown away!

And saddened. Steve Howe was just so good, y'know? Why was I even bothering with the guitar when there were people like him out there?

But I never hated him. Or any of the monster players.
Once that initial bit of discouragement passed all those great guitarists out there just inspired me.

I never did become a particularly good guitar player. But I still love playing! :mrgreen:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

iamsuperdan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iamsuperdan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 am

Not a hater of any musicians. Jealous of many though. Annoyed by a few.

I do know one type of person I dislike immensely. the know it all music nerd.

When my band was playing throughout the 90s, there was this one guy that we saw at most of the shows. Everytime he talked to me after a show, it was to say something ridiculous.

"You played well, but the intonation on your B string is out, ruined it for me."

WTF?! How do you pick that out during a loud rock show?

For the record, I went home that night and it was bugging me, so I sat down with the guitar for an hour and checked it out. Intonation was perfect.

I did kind of hate that guy. lolz

peb

Postby peb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:09 pm

It occurred to me that if I hated everyone that played better than me, I'd hate.......well...........everyone :mrgreen:

I suck :wall:

peb

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jazpur » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 pm

peb wrote:
It occurred to me that if I hated everyone that played better than me, I'd hate.......well...........everyone :mrgreen:

I suck :wall:

peb

lol... ditto :oops:
STRANGS:'16 A6, '14 CarvinSH65, '14 MM A. Lee SSS, '13 Bishline D. Barnes, '05 Huss & Dalton 000, '97 Martin D-1.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:24 pm

Mind if I hang out with you guys? :lol:

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jazpur » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:04 pm

:lol:
sure! we need to start a sucky club.

braekyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby braekyn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 pm

Jazpur wrote::lol:
sure! we need to start a sucky club.

Count me in!

(Should I actually make a post in the clubs section for carvinites who aren't very good but love to play anyways?!)

Edit: too late, I already did! :twisted:

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jazpur » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:15 pm

braekyn wrote:Count me in!

(Should I actually make a post in the clubs section for carvinites who aren't very good but love to play anyways?!)

:think: :roll: I'd join it in a second!! :ninja:

Return to Pro Players