Who do you hate ?

Discuss Kiesel Guitars Endorsers and Professional Players

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

braekyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: Who do you hate ?

Postby braekyn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Jazpur wrote:
braekyn wrote:Count me in!

(Should I actually make a post in the clubs section for carvinites who aren't very good but love to play anyways?!)

:think: :roll: I'd join it in a second!! :ninja:

... It's been up for more than a second. I don't seeee you! :wink:

(Maybe that's just because you're a :ninja:!)

NickCormier
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Who do you hate ?

Postby NickCormier » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 am

Just to preface this comment I'm about to make.. I want to be clear that I am very into many genres of music, Smooth jazz is what I listen to most often (along with fusion/prog/etc) - I'm not just a metal guy.

I hate what I call "Blues Wankers".. People who play 10+ minute solos in one scale, often minor pentatonics with no alteration or modulations.. Basically repeating patterns over and over again. Its friggin annoying. I don't even like normal Blues players most often, I just find it boring as heck. Sure, I like Jimi Hendrix, as he actually adds some unique flavor to his licks instead of straight pentatonics, but ugh...

Here is just a few examples of players who I literally can't listen to without wanting to stab my ears with a fork..

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Joe Bonnamassa
Angus Young
BB King
Anyone from the Allman Brothers
Jeff Beck (HATE his "whammy" technique style.. so over the top)
Steve Lukathur

I even feel I have an issue with my guitar playing because I skipped that "period" of time when people start learning - You go thru the "easy" classic rock solos like Led Zeppelin, Metallica, AC/DC, Ozzy and etc.. I skipped most of that because I couldnt stand the repetitive minor pentatonic stuff, and went right into the more complex stuff like Marty Friedman and Steve Vai. Now, I don't have that "base" mode to fall back on when improvising, I often stay within the major modes rather than using any sort of pentatonic scales, which in the long run is probably better but it hurts when I don't get enough practice time in.. My fingers don't go into "auto-pilot" too often.

I also want to point out, I am not into the "Neoclassical shred 10000 notes per second" players either.. As they do the exact same thing, just substituting Harmonic Minor and speed. Its just uncreative and boring. Thats another thing that bothers me, the whole "I rather hear BB King play 2 notes "soulfully" than listen to Yngwie Malmsteen" - well I don't care how many "painful" faces Blues players make, Its all about vibrato and phrasing, and most of them have awful vibrato and phrasing in my opinion. Its all an act, either way..

dielikeagentlemen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dielikeagentlemen » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:20 pm

I was about to respond to NickCormier and at least ask why does SRV make you want to stab your ears but that would defeat the purpose of this thread.. :P

Since my divorce i've shared my house with my 13 year old and the three year old comes for visits. Chloe, my 13 year old, was super into Bieber and one direction. now it's Black Veil Brides and the like. I tried to explain Glam Metal and why it should have never existed in the first place, and that's why we have Black Veil Brides now and that it's basically a tragedy that any of those bands were allowed to traipse around in spandex showing off their packages (David Lee Roth, there's no excuse for you at all) that was equal to the level of tragedy as any natural disaster. Same with hot pants, and well, generally anything from the 80's. Mullets' T-Birds, Pastel jackets that the sleeves zip off of...

Funny thing is, just yesterday i get home from work and my kid meets me in the garage SUPER excited. She says "Dad, I discovered a new band and I think you're going to love them!!!" i asked "what are they called?" to which she exclaims "NIRVANA!"

I shook my head, put down my stuff, and promptly told her the story of nirvana. Adding in that it should be against he belief system to like them when they basically (with the help of other bands) slayed the dragon known as glam metal and the 80's in general...

We followed that up with hot chocolate and an introduction to Soundgarden :)

I strongly dislike the Beatles too. Don't give me that "no one would have done it without them" garbage either. That's nonsense. You honestly think zeppelin wouldn't have ripped off every blues artist in the world if the Beatles didn't write Sgt. Pepper? There was plenty of rock n roll and pop music before the beatles rolled into town. Buddy Holly anyone??

Also, I wouldn't label them a rock band, I'd label them the first boy band really. If backstreet boys picked up instruments and started playing rock it would be inexcusable today. Same way Vanilla Ice and his metal band were shunned by the populace.

Just my .02.. Not meant to offend :)

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:39 pm

If it's on a non-classical radio station, there's a good chance I won't like it.

11CaliSpecGT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Who do you hate ?

Postby 11CaliSpecGT » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:17 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:So, lemme see (pun in tended - get it?). Ok first off, I'm repelled by these sterile shredder guys. Satch plays with a sterility that is like styrofoam. I WANT to like his sound and can't. Similarly, Joe Bonamassa leaves me totally cold. His precision and chops are stupendous - but he does not come across at a feeling level to me at all. It's like a manikin playing a pre-recorded digital sample. Completely lifeless and dead.:

Wow, I know we all hear music differently, but having just sat 2nd row center at Joe Bonamassa last night, I couldn't disagree more! When playing to the song, the true emotion in his playing was unmistakeable. You could tell he was lost in the zone multiple times. This tour he is doing an acoustic set followed by his electric set and both were phenomenal. Now I will give you that when he stepped out of the song to showcase his chops, that's exactly what he did...but that is exactly part of what I paid to see. Make no mistake though, in his playing and his singing, he feels it! Being in a small town thousand person or so venue may have helped with that somewhat...in the three hours, I'd guesstimate less than 30 minutes of true shredding.
AC375, HH2, DC135, Ultra V, CS6M, V3MC/212S
XB75/PB4/VB4/MB1215

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Who do you hate ?

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:10 pm

11CaliSpecGT wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:So, lemme see (pun in tended - get it?). Ok first off, I'm repelled by these sterile shredder guys. Satch plays with a sterility that is like styrofoam. I WANT to like his sound and can't. Similarly, Joe Bonamassa leaves me totally cold. His precision and chops are stupendous - but he does not come across at a feeling level to me at all. It's like a manikin playing a pre-recorded digital sample. Completely lifeless and dead.:

Wow, I know we all hear music differently, but having just sat 2nd row center at Joe Bonamassa last night, I couldn't disagree more! When playing to the song, the true emotion in his playing was unmistakeable. You could tell he was lost in the zone multiple times. This tour he is doing an acoustic set followed by his electric set and both were phenomenal. Now I will give you that when he stepped out of the song to showcase his chops, that's exactly what he did...but that is exactly part of what I paid to see. Make no mistake though, in his playing and his singing, he feels it! Being in a small town thousand person or so venue may have helped with that somewhat...in the three hours, I'd guesstimate less than 30 minutes of true shredding.

Cool. I shall listen to him more and get more exposure. Thanks for posting.

:wink:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

11CaliSpecGT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby 11CaliSpecGT » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:14 pm

What got me into Bonamassa was the Live at the Royal Albert Hall...then I youtubed some of the songs from the album...then was hooked...
AC375, HH2, DC135, Ultra V, CS6M, V3MC/212S
XB75/PB4/VB4/MB1215

Avogadr0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Avogadr0 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:50 pm

I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I recently revisited some of my childhood hits and I came to the conclusion that I actually think Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit is a good guitarist. Their lyrics are stupid, sure, but some of those songs are so catchy...

It's really funny because people on this forum talk about 8 string guitars replacing the bass player, but when Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit played a 4 string baritone tuned to a low F# on the song Nookie, nobody said anything about replacing the bass player back then.
My Gear:
Carvin DC800
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3M/Behringer BG412H

jfine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby jfine » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:33 am

Half of my post got left off. So...
Some years ago, in the mid-'80's, I was hanging out at a music store in Napa, CA, playing a bit and shooting the breeze with the owner, (who I've known since about 1975), when in walked this young guy, who listened to me play for a bit and then said, "You need to work on your tremolo..." (and he pronounced it "treMELo"...), and left. A bit nonplussed, I asked the store owner, "What's his trip?", as I've been using finger vibrato since before the kid was born. Turned out, he'd had a lesson or two from Jason Becker, who'd told him that he needed to work on his vibrato, and I guess in his mind, he was just passing on wisdom from the master. Takes all kinds, I guess!
Those who can, do--those who can't, complain about those who can...

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:18 am

NickCormier wrote:I hate what I call "Blues Wankers".. People who play 10+ minute solos in one scale, often minor pentatonics with no alteration or modulations.. Basically repeating patterns over and over again. Its friggin annoying.

Guilty as charged. :(
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:38 am

I wanted to add a couple of players who have quirks that kind of annoy me, despite them being very good players:

1. Joe Satriani. I love this guy's playing, but in the last few years he has been doing something I consider a gigantic no-no: tuning down half a step for no obvious reason. I'm fine with it if it's because of the vocalist's range, but I really hate when people who play music with no vocals tune the guitar down half a step, especially when all their old music is in standard. Now the old stuff sounds weird live because it's tuned flat. I like to hear music in its original key.

2. Steve Vai. Awesome player, but it seems like he goes out of his way to see how weird he can act, even having people in his band who play instruments that just don't belong in the style of music he plays (how does an electric harp fit in?) I wish he would go back to just being a straight-up heavy rock guitar player like he was 25 years ago.

3. Michael Angelo Batio. Great guitar player, but you're almost 60 now. Lose the wig!
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

KH
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby KH » Sat May 10, 2014 5:53 am

2Plus2isChicken wrote:
2. Steve Vai. Awesome player, but it seems like he goes out of his way to see how weird he can act, even having people in his band who play instruments that just don't belong in the style of music he plays (how does an electric harp fit in?) I wish he would go back to just being a straight-up heavy rock guitar player like he was 25 years ago.

3. Michael Angelo Batio. Great guitar player, but you're almost 60 now. Lose the wig!

Yeah, I watched that Vai concert on AXS TV. That Harpist was way over the top. Makes you uncomfortable just watching it.

And yes, Batio needs to lose the wig, go bald and grow a goatee like everybody else. :D

For me, I usually don't hate the artist. But, rather hate the Media for over exaggerating them.
Like after Yngwie's F'n Fury incident, every guitar mag journalist was trying to egg him on or twist his words into saying something else to create controversy and sell more mags.
And decades later they still try to do it.
Kurt Kobain as one of the greatest guitarist of all time. NO! Influential song writer? Yes. Guitar was strictly a writing tool for him. But, when mags lump him in with the likes of Jason Becker, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Alan Holdsworth, it's just wrong.

kennym9898
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby kennym9898 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:51 am

It annoys me when people base their opinion and hate for equipment because they don't have one. Even though they want one!
Carvin SH550B, SCB6, AC375, DC700, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez, Fender Strat, Jackson Soloist, Washburn,
Carvin V3MC, Marshall DSL40c, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Line6

dach
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby dach » Sat May 10, 2014 6:51 pm

I agree with some of the one's on your 'hate' list because I think too many players over time just "phone it in" when it comes to leads. I usually like to judge leads or lead players with a simple 'does the lead fit the song'. How many players just want to go ballistic when it's not necessary. I think many great leads fit the chords, rhythm and vocal patterns like a glove. One comes to mind that you may agree with me on, Eddie Money's "Two Tickets to Paradise". The lead player (who I honestly don't even know) pulls off that lead with, not extra fluff to show off my stuff, but a real soulful mastering of his instrument and abilities. This could probably be a whole new thread titled "Best leads that fit the song" but for now I'll just relinquish the keyboard.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon May 12, 2014 12:18 am

I will be quite negative with this but I HATE Syu of Galneyrus. Galneryus is a Japanese rock band (I will never accept them as true metal) and the guitarist is Syu. He is robotic, can play a little fast but his solos are emotionless, he plays mechanically yet people consider him some sort of God of Japanese metal. I've seen him live, he is a PoS guitarist and doesn't know how to play real metal music. He just wants to pretend that he plays metal. On top of that, he took an AMAZING song by Stratovarius called "Against the Wind" and destroyed it entirely. If you listen to the original version played by Timo Tolkki, then listen to Syu's version, you will gag at how terrible he plays it.

Another Japanese rock person I want to find in a ditch on the side of a road is Hyde of L'Arc en Ciel. He created a separate band called Vamps over here to make himself look like he's some sort of goth wannabe. He then proceeded to do covers of Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil and Live Wire. (As a note, I grew up on Motley Crue and Live Wire is one of my favorite Crue songs). He took songs that were great for that VERY early 80s sound, aggressive, hard hitting metal, turned them into piles of excrement by making them punk sounding (with NONE of the punk attitude, just disturbing).

So yeah this is VERY negative and my feelings for both of these wannabes is nothing but anger and disrespect in every regard.

Just so I don't look like I have a Fatwah against every Japanese musician, I LOVE Kelly Simonz. Nicest guy in the world and knows what real guitar playing is about. He can play covers but when he does it, he plays it just like the original artist would (Listen to him play Yngwie's Far beyond the Sun, he can play it better than Yngwie sometimes :lol: )

MetalMania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MetalMania » Tue May 13, 2014 9:10 am

Huh, kind of an odd thread. This is probably the only site I know of that could have this topic in a message board and not devolve into the verbal equivalent of a bar fight. Opinions are like... you know... um, diverse.

I agree with a lot of what's been said. And I disagree with some too. Like Satriani being sterile, to me he's one of the most expressive and song oriented "shredders" of all time. I've never liked Steve Vai much however, he's technically amazing but for the most part HE strikes me as sterile and his overt "eclectic-ness" just doesn't do anything for me. To each his/her own I guess, that's why music is such a broad and varied thing.

But if you want hate, I'll throw some out there. I hate Justin Bieber, I couldn't tell you what a single one of his songs sounds like but just a picture of him and hearing him talk makes me angry. He strikes me as a complete punk spoiled P.O.S. I can't stand rap, but he wouldn't last 15 seconds "in the hood", but he acts like he's a total bad***. Yeah, right.

I hate the rap "persona" that's been projected and glorified by the genre AND THE MEDIA for far too long now. The whole guns and money = respectability garbage. You've got to do jail time to be credible, etc. Obviously it's not everybody, but Rap and it's image is so infused into the media now it's like it's become the unofficial soundtrack of America and is supposed to be representative of the entire country and American culture. One of my family members visited a school in China last year, and the kids wanted to know two things: Who's your favorite rapper, and who's your favorite basketball player? My young kids often speak and act with various "rap-ism's" because they see it everywhere, and it drives me crazy. They only do it because they see other people do it - on TV, at school, and don't even know what they're doing half the time, but think it's what you're supposed to do to be cool.

I can't stand the "boy bands" that have come and gone over the years. Mostly just corporate marketing projects packaged to appeal to 13 year old girls, with their bubble gum recycled pop tunes and choreographed dance routines. The lineup is always the same, one is always cast as the "bad boy", one is always "the sweet one", etc. It's like a TV show that gets remade every few years with new actors in the same roles.

"Fastest Guitarist In The World" videos on youtube. Congratulations! You can play so fast you sound like a zipper or one of those high speed encrypted data burst transmissions! That's not music!

I understand people who feel like you shouldn't rely only on pentantonics, and it's good to broaden your sonic palette, it makes you a better overall player, etc. But I really hate when guitar players say others "suck" if they are primarily pentatonic players, like they are some kind of higher authority possessing the right to judge and dismiss everyone else. If you're happy with pentatonics, there's nothing wrong with that. It's a cornerstone of traditional guitar playing, and you know what? It just works a lot of the time. If I can't stretch my fingers 9 frets because my hands physically aren't big enough, or I don't care for using the Locrian mode, does that mean I'll forever be a lousy guitarist and I should just quit? The audience doesn't care if you're switching between harmonic minor and Mixolydian mode over a dominant 7th chord to an augmented 11th (yes, I know that's gibberish and not necessarily "proper" theory talk).

Whew, now I'm all fired up. Peace. I'm gonna see if I can find a bug to squash or something.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Wed May 14, 2014 1:42 pm

It also annoys me that bands that have such incredible musicians write songs that are full of vulgar subject matter and language. I grew up listening to a lot of bands like that, including Metallica, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, Guns n' Roses, etc. and they all have awesome musicians, but their lyrics made me stop listening to them for the most part, and I find that sad.

My playing is still heavily influenced by listening to them for all those years, but I just can't listen to a band that I wouldn't want one of my kids (if I had any) listening to due to the influence.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

MetalMania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MetalMania » Thu May 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Hey 2Plus2,

I understand what you mean about the lyrical content. Though sometimes things aren't always what they seem. I was never really into Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, or even G n' R that much, but I was and still am a pretty big Metallica fan. Although a lot (most, actually) of songs by those bands are lyrically "dark", I give them credit for not just being about "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll". Well, maybe GNR usually was. Anyway, take "Master of Puppets" for example - if you really read the lyrics, it's an anti-drug song. "Blackened" is about the effects of pollution, deforestation, (possibly?) war ending the world. "And Justice For All" is about corruption in the judicial system. All bleak, yes, but about real issues. I'm sure PJ and Rage also had a lot of "in the news" kinds of topics. Anyway, I'm not saying they're necessarily "kid safe", particularly for little ones, but lyrically I'd probably rather have them listen to Metallica than Motley Crue or Ratt.

I don't get the need today for so much lyrical proliferation of "F-bombs". I'm OK with it sparingly for effect I guess, though it's still not necessary. Last year I was at an NFL pre-season game, and I don't know what song was on the PA system but it was some rap song, and there were so many profanities "blanked out" it sounded like the sound system was broken. But it wasn't - it was just how much they had to censor the song. If it's that bad that it's almost unplayable in public, what's the point? And why on Earth would that be a "single"?

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Thu May 15, 2014 4:39 pm

MetalMania wrote:Hey 2Plus2,

I understand what you mean about the lyrical content. Though sometimes things aren't always what they seem. I was never really into Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, or even G n' R that much, but I was and still am a pretty big Metallica fan. Although a lot (most, actually) of songs by those bands are lyrically "dark", I give them credit for not just being about "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll". Well, maybe GNR usually was. Anyway, take "Master of Puppets" for example - if you really read the lyrics, it's an anti-drug song. "Blackened" is about the effects of pollution, deforestation, (possibly?) war ending the world. "And Justice For All" is about corruption in the judicial system. All bleak, yes, but about real issues. I'm sure PJ and Rage also had a lot of "in the news" kinds of topics. Anyway, I'm not saying they're necessarily "kid safe", particularly for little ones, but lyrically I'd probably rather have them listen to Metallica than Motley Crue or Ratt.

I don't get the need today for so much lyrical proliferation of "F-bombs". I'm OK with it sparingly for effect I guess, though it's still not necessary. Last year I was at an NFL pre-season game, and I don't know what song was on the PA system but it was some rap song, and there were so many profanities "blanked out" it sounded like the sound system was broken. But it wasn't - it was just how much they had to censor the song. If it's that bad that it's almost unplayable in public, what's the point? And why on Earth would that be a "single"?

You didn't know? To be popular, you need to swear and go to jail.

I love dark lyrics, but I hate extreme metal. Black, death, etc. That stuff isnt music imo.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu May 22, 2014 8:02 pm

I don't like people who judge how good music by how hard it is to play. I can't stand when I hear a really cool riff and someone says something like "Aw he's just doing this, it sucks." I KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING AND I KNOW IT"S EASY TO PLAY!! IT"S JUST COOL, OKAY?!?!?!?!

Return to Pro Players