A message from Frank Gambale

Discuss Kiesel Guitars Endorsers and Professional Players

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

SilkyHotLicks
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: A message from Frank Gambale

Postby SilkyHotLicks » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:59 am

Casual Madman wrote:What we need is a form of encryption that works like this: you make an illegitimate copy of a song, it comes out sounding like Justin Bieber. With adenoids.

As a software developer, song writer, musician and a member of both the FSF (Free Software Foundation) and ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers) I have mixed feeling on DRM (Digital Rights Management). Microsoft really screwed the pooch with their .WMA file format and DRM solution. It made transferring legally purchased content to other platforms nearly impossible. I've even had issues transferring legally purchased songs from my 2007 Windows Vista laptop that uses the Microsoft Zune music player to my 2013 Windows 8.1 workstation that uses the Microsoft Metro music player.

The MP3/4 file format(s) includes provisions for metadata and I believe that there needs to be a central database that identifies legally purchased content with the purchaser across every device that the purchaser owns. Your smartphone, tablet, laptop and workstation are already digitally linked to you. And this type of 'Big data' information collection and tracking is already occurring so why not just use it for our (musicians) advantage. :?:

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: A message from Frank Gambale

Postby Koshchei » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:50 am

I buy all my music, from the artist directly where possible.

I realize what a tight bind that professional musicians are in today as a result of piracy, but I fail to resolve the situation. As with all things, the issue is double-edged: That which robs you blind also gets your name out to those who WILL pay. This doesn't excuse blatant theft, but it does have the fringe benefit of acting as a form of direct marketing.

Garm from Ulver has a different philosophy: Sell direct, and provide exclusive benefits for those willing to buy direct ( http://www.jester-records.com/ulver/ulv ... T_OF_DYING ). He doesn't care if people casually listen in on Ulver's music, because ultimately (in their case at least), the brunt of the financial damage was being inflicted by various levels of management, the labels, and other bureaucracy. Ulver is also in the unique position of having absolutely no mainstream appeal -- those who know about them will buy their work regardless of, or perhaps despite label promotion.

So, for what little it's worth, Frank, I won't ever steal your music. But before I buy it, I will look for a sampler on your website, iTunes, or YouTube to see if I'll like it first.

---

Silky, the only problem that I can see with your idea is the requirement for an always-on connection to check the metadata against a central database. Troops deployed in the world's a$$-end, for example, would be screwed over by this.

carvinite33

Postby carvinite33 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 pm

I think part of the problem is to many people see the music business as some kind of monolithic simple dichotomy and have bought into the narrative that the big labels screwed every artist they ever signed without exception . They were gatekeepers that didn't give a fair shake to everyone !
The lack of inclusion that is used to demononize the old guard is used to create enticing promises of a totally level playing Field and a meritocracy in the digital world of the web . ( But what about the noise floor ?? what about the fact that your you tube vid is a needle in a stack of needles ??)

Honestly , until we bring a generation along with more basic business acumen and an understanding that changing analog dollars into digital pennies will , long term bankrupt a cultural legacy that will be lost . Look at how many kids listen to legacy stuff from the sixty's ; It would be like some one who's a teenager in the '70s listening to Frank SInatra or something...

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Really good point which raises a corollary: Once digital pennies have bankrupted all producers of culture, what will there be left that's worth fighting for? A franchise feeding trough that depends on the excessive and indiscriminate consumption of single-serving plastic $hit to keep the wheels of industry turning?

Everything that we are as a people is as a result of cultural output. Suffocate our ability to create (and by necessity, challenge the entrenched and the status quo), and we lose our humanity.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Relevant CYANIDE & HAPPINESS:

kennym9898
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby kennym9898 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Well, glad to see Frank Gambali finally moved on his work he had put together a while ago.

http://www.frankgambaleonlineguitarschool.com/
Carvin SH550B, SCB6, AC375, DC700, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez, Fender Strat, Jackson Soloist, Washburn,
Carvin V3MC, Marshall DSL40c, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Line6

Alienadin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Re: A message from Frank Gambale

Postby Alienadin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:24 am

I completely understand Mr. Gambale, and agree with him.
I buy all the music I like on CD or Blu-ray. I don't use MPEG3s as they are terribly inferior in quality, and if I did, I would rip my purchased CDs.

I am an independant artist, so when I wanted to produce my CD in 2012, I wanted to remain free.
Therefore, I paid for it myself, and actually made some profit.
Of course, this doesn't factor in the countless hours of practising, buying all those guitars, amps, software, hardware, lessons, studies, strings....just the costs of the CD.

I have since turned into a fan of surround sound music, and decided to remix my CD into a BD-Audio. It look me 1 year, and I went in thinking I was mainly doing it for myself.
I am happy with the results, and I knew that almost no one I know has a Blu-ray player and a high quality surround sound system.
After a few months I started advertising it on some surround enthusiast site, and low and behold, I have since made a small profit with that too, and I have been selling my discs to the USA, UK, Canada, Belgium, The Netherlands...

My point is: There is always an audience for you. You just need to look for them, or enable them to find you.

Btw., downloading music, photos, books illegaly from the internet is theft. There is no doubt about it. Just my 2 cents

Return to Pro Players