Have you met any of your idols?

Discuss Kiesel Guitars Endorsers and Professional Players

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

cbower

re: Have you met any of your idols?

Postby cbower » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Casual, I saw Head East in St. Louis in about 79. They were awesome!

cbower

Postby cbower » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:17 pm

I met Yngwie a couple times. He was polite and gracious both times :shock: The first time, I was 18 and I drove from Jersey to upper state New York to attend an guitar clinic but when we got there Yngwie had had to much to drink and decided he was gonna just keep drinking and sign autographs. I handed him a poster to sign for my best friend who was too embarrassed to face him and when Yngwie asked who he should make it out to I froze and told him my girlfriends name. That was almost 30 years ago and my friend still has the poster hanging on his wall with big letters "To Alyson, All my Best, Yngwie". I did remember to bring my camera and got a swell picture of Yngwie and me sharing an embrace, well I may have been trying to keep him on his feet- and unfortunately I set the camera down while he was signing my poster and I got lost in the moment and walked away without a thought. :wall: I met Tony MacAlpine at a master class and he was amazingly cool, down to earth and had great teaching skill. Similar to John Petrucci in the way he broke things down and communicated musical ideas. I learned so much just watching him up close. Met Gary Hoey, super nice guy. Met Zack Wylde backstage at Ozzfest in 2000 when my old friend Brian Tichy was drumming for Ozzy. Ozzy was down with a chest cold and bolted straight into his bus after the show so I didn't get to meet him.. :cry: But Zach hung out and talked to my son and I for an hour. I would really love to have a sit down with Alex Lifeson and a couple of guitars before I die...

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: Have you met any of your idols?

Postby Casual Madman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:43 am

cbower wrote:Casual, I saw Head East in St. Louis in about 79. They were awesome!

For a "one hit wonder," they put on a very entertaining set.

tipover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tipover » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:43 am

I was fueling a jet one morning here at my job and Ted Nugent walks out to the airplane. I said "Hey man I love your music" .
Ted says "yeah I love my music too". :?

AMANAMAN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby AMANAMAN » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:08 pm

I have met James Hetfield, Kirk Hamett, Jason Newstead, Dave Mustaine, Kerry King, Tom Araya, Jeff Hanneman, Dave Lombardo, Alice Cooper (coolest guy ever), Rudy Sarzo, John Connelly, Zachary Stevens, & Michael Angelo Batio to name a few.

I would like to meet Satriani, EVH, Petrucci, Marty Friedman, Guthrie Govan, Jeff Loomis, Yngwie, Steve Vai, Alex Skolnick, & Paul Gilbert.
Please like my band WREAK on Facebook! https://m.facebook.com/wreakmusic/?tsid ... =typeahead

Folkie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Folkie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:23 am

The idols I've met would probably not ring any bells with the readers here, but I shook Tom Rush's hand once, met Bruce "U Utah" Phillips a couple of times, played on the same stage with Joe Hickerson, and once talked to Michael Cooney while Pete Seeger was standing there wishing I'd go away...

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:31 am

My Navy career was in two halfs. The first half I was a Boiler Technician. I was waiting in line at the ships store. I heard that a USO show was coming on board. I had to work and was thinking Rocketts or Bob Hope or something. I did not care. All of the sudden some one was asking for me from the end of the line. I spoke up. Low and behold it is Tom Johnson and Steve Morse. They were looking for guitar strings. We talked and Jammed for hours. It was a blast.

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:11 pm

I met John Petrucci at a gas station here in town. I'm about three hours north of Hollywood and while the surrounding areas do have a lot of celebrity houses, it was still a shock. Got his autograph on a bank envelope (this was before most cellphones had cameras worth using)
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:17 am

Yes, I did, this past Monday. I have an acquaintance who knew where Judas Priest was staying here in Nagoya... Needless to say I met all of them and got pics with all of them. As a born and bred metalhead, to meet the metal gods themselves was surreal. Just incredible. I'm still on a high from it. To even shake Rob Halford's hand and talk to him for a short bit... then to talk to Ritchie about his guitars... Sensory overload. The greatest event in my life to this point imo...
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Andy Buschmann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Andy Buschmann » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:19 pm

"Idol" is too strong a word, but I met and talked quite a bit to my favorite song writer/singer and band leader, Chris Goss of Masters of Reality. I drove to New Orleans to see them.

Les Knopflerongo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Les Knopflerongo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:59 am

Likewise, I wouldn't use the term "idol", but I went with some friends to have dinner and see Phil Keaggy perform
at the Cove here in Asheville a while back, and as I was returning to the dining room from a trip to the restroom,
I literally walked right past Mr. Keaggy in the crowd! It happened so fast that I only realized who it was after I walked
past him. :mrgreen:
My Band: http://www.facebook.com/therainydaysduo - Acoustic Pop, Folk, and Jazz Covers

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:29 pm

I would by no means consider them idols, but my band opened for Anvil not too long ago and I had a really cool conversation with the singer/guitarist during sound-check about gear.

This guy had awesome live tone and was playing heavy metal on a semi-hollow through Fender twins. Definitely a learning experience for me.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:05 am

My main influences for bass, are two Japanese women who live in Japan. So, I've been happy to get twitter responses >_>

JEdward

Postby JEdward » Mon May 04, 2015 8:57 pm

I wouldn't say I have "idols", but I have my list of favorite players.
I've only met one in person.
Allan Holdsworth at one of his guitar clinics at the Carvin store in Santa Ana (which is now obviously closed - sadly).
That was in early 2012.

OfficeShredder

Postby OfficeShredder » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Met Paul Gilbert at the NAMM show once. He gave me a Racer X guitar pick.

I also got to meet Steve Vai when I was a kid at TBred in Tampa.

Both Paul and Steve were the nicest guys. 8)
Last edited by OfficeShredder on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gjacob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gjacob » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:55 pm

Met Sully Erna at a meet & greet, he was a complete jerk to everyone in the room.

I met Shinedown after a Vegas gig, they were very humble and grateful that people wanted to see them. They would talk to each person as long as they could. Great guys.

My favorite was hanging out with Dave Pirner in a Minneapolis bar. Cool guy, but very shy without a guitar in his hand. Talked about music, influences, life, etc.
Gear:
'16 Kiesel CS6, '15 Kiesel DC600, '09 Carvin CT4, '78 Ibanez Musician, '95 Fender Am Strat, '98 Gibson Les Paul DC, '05 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, '07 LTD EC-1000FM, '15 Gretsch G5422, Custom Strat, Custom Iceman, Custom Tele

gjacob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gjacob » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:I would by no means consider them idols, but my band opened for Anvil not too long ago and I had a really cool conversation with the singer/guitarist during sound-check about gear.

I hope Steve didn't whip out his guitar playing prop. :lol:
Gear:

'16 Kiesel CS6, '15 Kiesel DC600, '09 Carvin CT4, '78 Ibanez Musician, '95 Fender Am Strat, '98 Gibson Les Paul DC, '05 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, '07 LTD EC-1000FM, '15 Gretsch G5422, Custom Strat, Custom Iceman, Custom Tele

BigBaldIan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby BigBaldIan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:08 pm

Not necessarily idols but I have some good memories:

1) Tomas Lindberg propping me in the corner and rounding up the rest of At the Gates to sign my CD, also gave me a beer from their rider. I have a new found respect for anyone who can drink Carlsberg Special Brew to that extent and still be that tight live.

2) Devin Townsend at a local club, I was at the back beer in hand only half-listening to the support act. I glance left and he's standing right next to me, anyhow as well as the usual SYL stuff I actually had managed to get hold of a Japanese import of Ocean Machine. Cue an in depth conversation on the stairs with him asking me what I thought about said album. I replied that in truth I preferred it to SYL and I really loved the density and nuances of it. Looking back on it now I can understand why, SYL was this almost comical knee-jerk reaction to his experiences, yet he somehow got trapped and stifled by that very same joke. At least, that's how I see it.

Suddenly remembered, that gig was touch and go because Gene Hoglan had gastroenteritis. So the missus hastily made him a get well card on folded paper featuring an ill looking SYL mascot (Chutney Ferret) with a thermometer and an ice-pack.

Folkie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Folkie » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:22 pm

Less a "met your idol" and more a "before they were famous" memory ... Greg Kihn once knocked over and broke a Yamaha acoustic that I owned, while he was about a 19-year-old folk singer in Baltimore in 1968. His manager (he actually had a manager) gave me $25 which I put towards my first (used) Martin in the little club we were both playing in, "The Crack of Doom". A decade or so later when he started having hit singles it was definitely double-take time.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:37 pm

gjacob wrote:
Doctor Doug wrote:I would by no means consider them idols, but my band opened for Anvil not too long ago and I had a really cool conversation with the singer/guitarist during sound-check about gear.

I hope Steve didn't whip out his guitar playing prop. :lol:

Hahaha, nope. He saved it for the show.

Return to Pro Players