Have you met any of your idols?

Discuss Kiesel Guitars Endorsers and Professional Players

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

robm66
Gold Member
Gold Member

Have you met any of your idols?

Postby robm66 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:23 pm

Just curious have any of you ever met any of your "idols" I have only met one Michael Schenker in Cleveland Ohio at the Agora Ballroom this past January...heck of nice guy!! I'm the one wearing the tobaggon and Iron Maiden shirt, 2 to the right of Michael Image

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

re: Have you met any of your idols?

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:23 am

I've spoken with John Lee Hooker, and hung out 10 ft away from Albert King for about 3 hours with only 1 other person in the room other than my friend who was with me.

That's as much as I can say, assuming you mean music-related people....
:laughhard:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:55 am

I went solo, last-minute decision, to a Bad Company concert in Fort Worth TX back in 79 or 80. Terrible seat, right behind the mixing console on the floor.

There were only a couple of guys in the booth at the time so I made some idle conversation--where'd they get their light/sound setup (Showco--now Genlyte, after Genesis liked the gear so much they bought the company), how long did it take to set up/tear down, etc., the kinds of things you'd discuss with a nice young English lad in the mixer.

About 20 minutes before the opening act (the Hughes-Thrall Project) was due, the guy I'd been speaking to said, "Well, getting late, got to run along--nice talking to you" and left the console.

When Bad Co took the stage, image my surprise--I spent 20 minutes chatting with Mick Ralphs and didn't even know it! (Or get an autograph.) :shock:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:10 am

Very briefly got to meet:

Allan Holdsworth
Geddy Lee
Alex Lifeson
Jon Anderson

I think that's it.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

voodoo jeff

Postby voodoo jeff » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:35 am

Met Joe Satriani many times. (above anyone, Joe is, and always has been my strongest influence)
Met Steve Vai many, many times. Shared the stage with him last year.
Brett Garsed (who I am grateful to call a friend)
Met Paul Gilbert a couple of times. Super friendly guy.
Steve Morse was far more quiet than I expected.
Mike Kenneally
Kenny Wayne Shephard
Billy Sheehan
John Petrucci
Mike Portnoy

I`ve got pictures spanning nearly 20 years, documenting most of the encounters I have been very fortunate to have had. Most of the famous musicians I have met have been really great to be around, others were total d*cks.

Musicians I`d like to meet:
Sully Erna
Buckethead
Devin Townsend
Mike Ness
Tom Morello
James hetfield
"Music can heal pains there is no other medicine for."

silvergoat2k6
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby silvergoat2k6 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:57 am

I've met Billy Gibbons a few years ago. Very nice guy, but his normal talking voice is nothing like his on-stage voice.

*Dean* "The Kiesel BBS Ultra V Dude"
6 (yes, 6) Ultra V's, Aries A6H, NZ624M Neil Zaza Signature, CS3, GH3
Proud Member of #teamzaza

gpbarnett
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby gpbarnett » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:13 am

Met Dweezil Zappa at a guitar clinic he gave before a Zappa Plays Zappa concert. Since I knew he owned at least one fretless guitar, I brought my fretless Warmoth instead of a Carvin (gasp!). He played my Warmoth for a bit, seemed to like it, but found the lack of fret lines made it harder to play (after getting a lined fretless V69K, I don't think I'll ever buy another unlined fretless).

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:02 am

Around 1986 I spent 2 hours drinking in a Hotel bar with the band members of The Starship, in Hannibal, MO. Everyone EXCEPT Grace Slick, who I was a huge fan of. Like Casual Madman, I didn't recognize them at first. No worries, they didn't recognize me either. :wink:

We had a heated discussion about record labels and corporate management. The conversation never went into gear or groupie stories, which I've always wish it had...

I also met Stanley Jordan at a frat party at Princeton University in 1979 or 80. I had never heard or seen someone play a guitar by tapping. He was just sitting on the floor with his back to the wall, jamming through a Pignose on batteries with about 4 other people sitting around him. I listened to him for about 1/2 an hour until my ride wanted to leave. Good times!
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:09 pm

I met Frank Gambale at a Music Expo in Sydney in the 90's, also John Scofield and Steve Vai,they were very friendly and also signed CDs for me. I've yet to meet Allan Holdsworth but but looking forward to it and missed John Coltrane by a couple of decades :(
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Mike Patton bought me a beer when I was 19, before getting pissed off that his openers were taking so long between their sets, and heading backstage to scream at 'em.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:17 pm

Not exactly "my idols," but I did get to party backstage with the guys in Head East once (1981 I think), at the Agora Ballroom in Dallas TX (RIP). A local band composed mostly of guys I went to high school with were the opening act. They were really nice guys who seemed genuinely "just happy to be here."

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: re: Have you met any of your idols?

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Casual Madman wrote:Not exactly "my idols," but I did get to party backstage with the guys in Head East once (1981 I think), at the Agora Ballroom in Dallas TX (RIP). A local band composed mostly of guys I went to high school with were the opening act. They were really nice guys who seemed genuinely "just happy to be here."

Ok, well based on that I'll say I met and talked with John Schlitt once.

:wink:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Shakes

Postby Shakes » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Being a hardcore DEICIDE fan...I finally got meet Glen Benton and it turned out, he'd rather talk to my wife..lol...now there just isnt anymore excitement at shows... :cry:

Jbird
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jbird » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:54 pm

I can't say that I have met any famous musicians at all, other than meeting the guys from Symphony X at a meet-n-greet. The guitarist for Symphony X, Michael Romeo, is a monster player.

Standing in line at concerts, I've shaken hands with Mike Portnoy, who was going down the line thanking people for coming out to see Dream Theater.

And also Sharon den Adel & Robert Westerholt from Within Temptation. The walked down the the line thanking the fans for coming out, the first time I saw Within Temptation in concert.

Shakes

Postby Shakes » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Being a hardcore DEICIDE fan...I finally got meet Glen Benton and it turned out, he'd rather talk to my wife..lol...now there just isnt anymore excitement at shows... :cry:

jfine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby jfine » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:24 am

I've been fortunate enough to meet a few of my idols. At a NAMM show in the mid-'90's, I was checking out a Fender Vibro-King amp, dialed in that 3-knob reverb, and proceeded to hack my way through "Misirlou", and in walked d*ck Dale! I told him I'd been trying to approximate his tremolo-picking style since about 1962, and I've never been able to nail it--and he said, "That's OK--nobody else does either!" A cool guy. A year or so later, I met James Burton, got to talk with him for a few minutes--he's a very friendly guy. The next year at NAMM, I bumped into him again, and he turned to the guy he was with and said, "Hey--this is that guy I was telling you about who plays steel licks on guitar!" I was blown away--I don't know where James heard me play, but the thought that I played something that James Burton remembered blows my mind. That's like God tapping you on the shoulder and saying, "Son, you're doing all right!" If I'd known he was listening, I probably wouldn't have been able to play a note. And I met B. B. King once in the mid-'80's and didn't recognize him--I think he was tickled that I didn't recognize him, and we talked about guitars and gigs for about fifteen minutes or so. I introduced myself, he introduced himself, and walked away leaving me standing there with my jaw on the floor. See, there were three guitar players whose pictures I had on my dormitory room wall back in my college days in the late-'60's--Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix--and B. B. King! The idols of mine that I've met have all turned out to be really nice guys--great role models not just as players, but as human beings too.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:05 am

I actually was able to choke out a couple of syllables to my bass idol Jaco Pastorius when I saw him and the band hanging out behind the venue when he was on his "Word of Mouth" tour in '84.

I've also met Matt "Guitar" Murphy when the band I was in opened for him in the late '80's. At the time I hadn't seen "The Blues Brothers" yet, so I had no idea. Imagine my surprise when I finally rent that VHS tape a couple of years later!

I've also had the pleasure to meet Joe "Guitar" Hughes, Steve Bailey (6-string fretless player), Tim Bogert, Scott Henderson, and had the pleasure to share an elevator with Rik Emmit in Canada a couple of years ago.

FlyingV
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby FlyingV » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:43 am

I grew up with the son of someone so famous that when I think I was in this person home everyday for years it makes me laugh now. I was just a little kid and "he" and his "crew" and the steady stream of legends were all just big huge adult people to me at the time lol.

They moved and we lost contact for many many years. Not too long ago we got in touch again. Far too late for me to make any music dreams happen for I am an old man now.

I remember his wonderful wife who always kept us kids in line when we were in the house or his garage studio when he wasn't in Hollywood studios. I also remember his walls were literally covered with gold and platinum records. He is on hundreds of gold and platinum recordings and "discovered" other artists who themselves went on to be legends.

I have had an interesting life, yet the timing always seems to be a bit outta wack hahaha

I will not "name drop" the above person, sorry.

I will say that I hung with Jeff Baxter at Guitar Center for a few minutes when he was a Doobie. Got offered a roadie job, said no [what a dumb azz I am at times eh!]

Sold an old Gibby SG to Buck Darma, got invited to his place. He was being very kind as I know he could tell selling the guitar was breaking my heart. Also said no [dumb azz full verification ha]

I grew up in N. Hollywood so really it was not unusual to meet and chat with folks, ya know? Most of them are regular people who got the break we all hoped for at one time I suppose. Some worked very hard to get it, some just were lucky. But all mostly appreciated the situation and were honestly very decent people.
Last edited by FlyingV on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
[2] DC7X 27", Loomis 26.5", S7G 27.5", Walden CE550, Ibanez 7 nylon string.
My Kiesel wish list - All 7 strings. All 27" scale option.
New symmetrical V7X, X227X, TL7X, C77X Bolt [smooth heel]
Semi-Hollow CT7. Head or Headless [CODA's photoshop]

MetalMania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MetalMania » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:35 am

My only "idol" that I've ever met was Joe Satriani at a paid meet & greet. He seemed pretty nice and genuinely attentive to everyone. Chatted with Dave LaRue who was on bass that tour for a while too.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:22 pm

A former girlfriend of mine and one of her friends got invited to the band's hotel suite for the concert after-party with the Grateful Dead back around 1980.

THAT story is much too long (and slightly debauched) to recount here, and besides, it isn't mine. But it was a humdinger.

Return to Pro Players