David Bowie - Blackstar

Discuss Kiesel Guitars Endorsers and Professional Players

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

David Bowie - Blackstar

Postby Koshchei » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:20 pm

This new album is utterly incredible, and totally unlike anything Bowie's ever done before.

Strongly recommended.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

re: David Bowie - Blackstar

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:05 pm

I couldn't agree more on all counts...I'd recommend it to most music fans I know except to those who were expecting "Suffragette City 2016" or something. It's unbelievable, as an album. I'm not sure there are many individual songs that I would put on, say, a "mix tape" playlist...but as an album to just put on and chill, it's quickly become a favorite.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:28 am

I've been a Bowie fanatic my whole life--in fact he was best man at my uncle's wedding way back in the 70's (my uncle was his personal bodyguard all through his legendary years of the 70's-80's.. not my blood uncle, but my father's brother's wife's--ie non blood aunt's- brother). My favorite phase was his Berlin phase, but only by a hair because everything else is so astonishing going way back to I Dig Everything.

When the video for Sue (In Season of Crime) first came out I was sending the link out to everyone, and left a post saying this was exactly where I thought he should be today. He was always a bit of the thin, slightly demented crooner.. a Johnny Mathis or a Crosby or even a SInatra.. always singing with a voice beyond his age like Scott Walker (who he idolizes).

Now that he actually is that age, I thought Sue epitomized exactly where he was heading with the Thin White Duke, half-stoned but sharp dressed, smoking crooner personality; demented, dissonant jazzy pieces showcasing his classic vocal delivery style warped by a touch of insanity and brilliance.

But he could eat a bunch of hot dogs and onions and record it, mix it with compression and a big band, and I'd probably like it. He still hasn't lost himself.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:28 am

Sounds like he knew it was coming, and gave us one more. :applause:

Return to Pro Players