Next Texas Bash?

Holding a Bash? Looking to set one up? Post here.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

ajeffcote
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next Texas Bash?

Postby ajeffcote » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 am

I've read about the former bashes in Texas, but what about the future? Last one was 2010?

PJCruz
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Next Texas Bash?

Postby PJCruz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:43 pm

I would be interested.. I'm down in H-town. FINALLY got me an amp... =) SO I can actually "play" now. LOL!!

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Big state Texas is. Hard to decide where, as in north, south or central. Also need a venue. My living room is always ready for some Jammin. Few at a time that is. Also cant get crazy loud. But the bbq is good.

Maybe a vote or input from all those interested. Their is several from DFW area here. So far I have only met one. I have extended an invite to get together to many. Maybe spamspam told them about my personality defects and scared them off. :roll:

So I am from north, and interested. PJCruz is south. What say the rest ??

ajeffcote
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ajeffcote » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm in Baytown, just east of Houston. We could play here but our house is small and the neighors are quiet, so they think I should be as well. But there's got to be a bunch of us around here. I think it would be fun to get a jam night going.

mge80
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby mge80 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:32 am

The problem with the Bashes always seems to be (1) getting someone to actually do the organizing and finding/acquiring the space and (2) getting everyone (or most everyone) to agree on a date/time when they are available.

Both issues seem to have gotten harder and harder to deal with over the past several years and, for all intents and purposes, there just aren't any anymore.

Texas used to have the biggest one, but hasn't had one in a few years.

We had one in the Pacific NW several years running, but that was 5 years ago (before I moved here to Wisconsin).

There was one organized in WI a couple of years ago (wrong part of the state for me to make), and 2 people showed up (the guy who put it together and 1 other person), so I doubt there will be another one here anytime soon.

Like I said, finding someone to take the bull by the horns to deal with the logistics and then finding a time when people can make it are usually more than is able to be successfully overcome.

YMMV

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 am

Yep, mge80 is correct. But I do not see why a few guys in the same area can not hook up now and then. That could start something bigger.

There are other opportunities to think about. For instance Dallas has a big guitar show every year. I know I go at least one day of it. Things like that can be mentioned or other public events and just get together to hook up and meet. No work required there.

That is why I said my living room is always open. I will extend an invite to anybody interested. I also own lots of stuff so anyone interested in try before you buy I just may have it. I can fire up the grill and have some beverages or what not. Or just swing by for a short time, try something and go. I bet no one will take me up on this. And It is easy.

I doubt anyone would go through the work of an actual bash in fear no one would show. I know I would not drive more than a couple of hours at best.
San Diego is lucky. The factory does the work.

T-Bone-BBQ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby T-Bone-BBQ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:23 am

I used to take care of the Texas Bashes, but it got to be too much of a hassle. Trying to figure out who can and can't make it, finding a building big enough, getting food set up to be catered...

Then when everyone got together we'd play a few songs, but a lot of the time everyone just kinda went and did their own thing and it would just become a noisefest which wasn't my intention. I was able to find a drummer and a bass player (if we didn't have one coming), but it seemed that for the last couple of years we played less and less music and made more noise.

It's hard to find music that everyone can agree to play or CAN play. You have some guys who love metal, but unless you have enough people who know how to play some of all the different kinds of music people like you end up with some people just sitting out and not playing anything.

The past couple of years I just haven't had the time to try to do another bash. I may never do another one. I had a great time at all of them, but it seemed that year after year we had less and less people show up...so between that and not having time to set it all up I just stopped doing them.
-------------------------
My Songs

"I can't win...'cause I don't have a thing to lose" - Buddy Guy

emux2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby emux2 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:01 pm

When we did the south east bashs it was more about checking out the Carvin gear that was there. People got to try out guitars and amps that they would normally have to either order or go to California to check out. We were able to jam on a few tunes as well.

ajeffcote
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ajeffcote » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 pm

The economy is dictating more and more what we can do, as most people are working more and more and have less and less free time. And the point about the different genres makes sense. Most of have comfort zones and a limited musical knowledge(that's me!). I would still like to see some local gatherings or jams happening.

Delta362
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Delta362 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:46 pm

I had a great time at the first couple TX Bashes while I lived in Houston. We played several types of music, but also got to check out other gear. The drive was pretty easy, the company and food were great!

Since moving back north, I've been enjoying several BAM (Bash of the Atlantic & Midwest), but we cancelled this year due to scheduling conflicts with the usual attendees. At those, we haven't checked out much in the way of gear, but use it more as a get together to jam, have some food and drink, and a good time.
YITB

PJCruz
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: Next Texas Bash?

Postby PJCruz » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:24 pm

LOL!!! How cool man!!! I worked in Baytown for a while... my brother in law runs a donut shop on Garth/Baker. I'm sure you've tasted that goodness. =-)

I'm down in Clear Lake.

ajeffcote wrote:I'm in Baytown, just east of Houston. We could play here but our house is small and the neighors are quiet, so they think I should be as well. But there's got to be a bunch of us around here. I think it would be fun to get a jam night going.

PJCruz
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby PJCruz » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Hell, it's been YEARS since I've "Jammed" and honestly I don't know a lot of cover songs.. and what few I did know.. was 20+ years ago and probably since forgotten.

But what's wrong with a good ole "12 bar?" I'm sure we can jam the HELL out of a 12 bar..

ajeffcote wrote:The economy is dictating more and more what we can do, as most people are working more and more and have less and less free time. And the point about the different genres makes sense. Most of have comfort zones and a limited musical knowledge(that's me!). I would still like to see some local gatherings or jams happening.

ajeffcote
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ajeffcote » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:06 pm

12 bar? When I was younger, maybe. Now, after 2 or 3 I'm slowing down, considerably! :lol:
Seriously, most every thing is at least based on a 12 bar, and I love the blues. I'm on my way out the door to a friends house. I think we may have a drummer show up tonight. Noe of us are accomplished musicians, although we try to accomplish something similar to music!
About the donut shop. Shipley's, ighht? Baytown's movin on up.

PJCruz
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby PJCruz » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Yeah, no doubt... There's a Jonnie Carino's, Outback, etc all near I-10 off Garth. My brother in law runs the Shipleys.... best donuts in town... at least until you get to LaPorte. =)

ajeffcote wrote:12 bar? When I was younger, maybe. Now, after 2 or 3 I'm slowing down, considerably! :lol:
Seriously, most every thing is at least based on a 12 bar, and I love the blues. I'm on my way out the door to a friends house. I think we may have a drummer show up tonight. Noe of us are accomplished musicians, although we try to accomplish something similar to music!
About the donut shop. Shipley's, ighht? Baytown's movin on up.

cgreer

Postby cgreer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:17 am

Well, I'm on the east side of Houston as well. I was born in Baytown and my grandkids live there so I'm over that way all the time. I bet we can get an informal meet-up together pretty easily. It would be harder to try to do a formal jam thing, but for me it would be nice to meet up and get a chance to do a bit of hands on experience with different Carvin gear.

ajeffcote
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ajeffcote » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:29 am

cgreer wrote:Well, I'm on the east side of Houston as well. I was born in Baytown and my grandkids live there so I'm over that way all the time. I bet we can get an informal meet-up together pretty easily. It would be harder to try to do a formal jam thing, but for me it would be nice to meet up and get a chance to do a bit of hands on experience with different Carvin gear.

Yes. I don't see why we couldn't.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm interested. I live in the North part of Houston, and I play bass.

ajeffcote
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ajeffcote » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:28 pm

Alright! 4 strong now. I know there's more.

PJCruz
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby PJCruz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:29 pm

We should all meet at a local Guitar Center.. and plug in and jam with our Carvin axes.. I brought mine in locally to install two pickups.. and nearly every employee in the store was OOOGLING my axe.. LOL!!!

One was like "That a REAL Carvin?? I didn't know they existed."

I was like.. Wha???? Seriously?

cgreer

Postby cgreer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Well, my Carvin came in so I'm ready to go. Mine's a bass as well.

Return to Carvinite Gatherings