Carvinites in or around Portland, OR? NW Carvinites?

Holding a Bash? Looking to set one up? Post here.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Carvinites in or around Portland, OR? NW Carvinites?

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:42 pm

I live in Portland, OR and looking to see if there are other Carvin players in the NW? I know of at least one other so far. Might be fun to organize a friendly get together or even a jam session. What thinks ye? :) :stir:

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: Carvinites in or around Portland, OR? NW Carvinites?

Postby nascarbean_97 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Aye-o! As long as it's at an all ages place, I'm there.

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Right on! Well there's at least 2 that I know of. Maybe we can track down a couple more and have a Carvin jam sometime! :D

mge80
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby mge80 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:36 pm

This really has nothing to do with this particular request at this particular time...

But, for several years running, we had some very nice Carvin Bashes in the PNW (Seattle area). They were well run, well attended and everyone seemed to have a great time.

There were also some well attended regular bashes in other parts of the country (Texas, for example).

But, as time went on, putting them together seemed to get harder and harder to accomplish. Obstacles included finding someone willing to take the bull by the horns to organize it and find/secure a place to have it. Finding a time and meshing schedules so that those who were interested in attending could attend. And finally, finding people who would actually show up after saying they were going to.

Eventually, it seemed to become more trouble than it was worth and they sort of died out.

Here's wishing you good luck in getting yours up and running. And here are a couple of photos of PNW bashes from days gone by:

boogie5strg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: Carvinites in or around Portland, OR? NW Carvinites

Postby boogie5strg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:26 pm

mge80 wrote:This really has nothing to do with this particular request at this particular time...

But, for several years running, we had some very nice Carvin Bashes in the PNW (Seattle area). They were well run, well attended and everyone seemed to have a great time.

There were also some well attended regular bashes in other parts of the country (Texas, for example).

But, as time went on, putting them together seemed to get harder and harder to accomplish. Obstacles included finding someone willing to take the bull by the horns to organize it and find/secure a place to have it. Finding a time and meshing schedules so that those who were interested in attending could attend. And finally, finding people who would actually show up after saying they were going to.

Eventually, it seemed to become more trouble than it was worth and they sort of died out.

Here's wishing you good luck in getting yours up and running. And here are a couple of photos of PNW bashes from days gone by:

LOL, that is me in the orange shirt and the location was also mine. We held a total of 3 bashes. "04, "05 and "06. The first was the most successful, the 2nd was also pretty good. the 3rd however was a huge waste of time as no one that said they would attend showed.

mge80
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby mge80 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Ha. I had a feeling you might pop in.

Those bashes were as successful as they were due almost entirely to your efforts (and the awesome location).

But yeah, one of the reasons that keep popping up that people have issues with these days is that you'll get a bunch of people saying they're coming...and then no one does.

That was an issue a few years ago here in Wisconsin.

(Oh, and I hope you don't mind me putting up those photos...again.)
8)

And for those who care...the photos above are from the 2nd one. I have photos of the first one, as well (I actually played a bit that day)...but they aren't as easy to find/use, so I just used the ones from the 2nd.

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Wow, cool photos!! Thanks for sharing! Maybe someday we can put another one together :D

Metaguitarist
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Metaguitarist » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:45 am

Yeah I've always thought this would be cool. Here's hoping it works out.

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Definitely! Well at least there's a couple of us! :D

FlyingV
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby FlyingV » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Is that a sweet man cave or what :think: Nice place boogie5strg :applause:
[2] DC7X 27", Loomis 26.5", S7G 27.5", Walden CE550, Ibanez 7 nylon string.
My Kiesel wish list - All 7 strings. All 27" scale option.
New symmetrical V7X, X227X, TL7X, C77X Bolt [smooth heel]
Semi-Hollow CT7. Head or Headless [CODA's photoshop]

boogie5strg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby boogie5strg » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:18 am

FlyingV wrote:Is that a sweet man cave or what :think: Nice place boogie5strg :applause:

Yes it was. Building was 24' x 70'. Part of it was my garage. It sat on 5 acres but I sold that place 5 years ago.

FlyingV
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby FlyingV » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 am

boogie5strg wrote:
FlyingV wrote:Is that a sweet man cave or what :think: Nice place boogie5strg :applause:

Yes it was. Building was 24' x 70'. Part of it was my garage. It sat on 5 acres but I sold that place 5 years ago.

Um, taking off shoe, counting back 5 years... You sold at the right time eh? Right before the "bust". Good job :applause:
[2] DC7X 27", Loomis 26.5", S7G 27.5", Walden CE550, Ibanez 7 nylon string.

My Kiesel wish list - All 7 strings. All 27" scale option.

New symmetrical V7X, X227X, TL7X, C77X Bolt [smooth heel]

Semi-Hollow CT7. Head or Headless [CODA's photoshop]

mge80
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby mge80 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:03 am

FlyingV wrote:
boogie5strg wrote:

Um, taking off shoe, counting back 5 years... You sold at the right time eh? Right before the "bust". Good job :applause:

Exactly. We bought a new construction home in the Seattle area in late 2004, then sold it (actually to one of my neighbors who was selling HIS house to his brother/brother-in-law...not sure of the exact relation..and wanted to move his family into MY house) at the end of 2007.

Bottom line, we sold it (I think closed on Jan 1, 2008) just in the nick of time and even made a few dollars on it. Nothing great, but it could have (would have) been much worse if we had not decided to move out here at that time and held onto it.

The previous owners of this place where we now live in rural WI were in pretty dire financial straits and were just trying to dump it before everything collapsed on them...so we basically stole it. Of course, stealing it in March 2008 might look a little different than someone stealing it from us today. But, we plan to keep it.....so no theft is imminent. :wink:

boogie5strg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby boogie5strg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:11 am

FlyingV wrote:
boogie5strg wrote:

Lol pretty much. Of coarse I bought when prices were up but I still came out good. I never thought I'd move from there but the house was just under 1500sf and the need for a larger home came up. I was also tired of the upkeep on the property and the gravel road. So I traded for a 3400sf home with a daylight basement and a large lot, 4 mins from work. So far no regrets. Althought I now could use more shop space due to getting into 1/8th scale trains. Could use more land now too...lol...go figure :wall:

Gunnski

Postby Gunnski » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Hey guys, I'm local to Portland too. I think this is a great idea. I thought I was the only one in the city who played Carvin. Would love to get together and show off/demo gear for each other.

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:41 am

Cool Gunnski! So there are at least 4 of us in the general Portland-Vancouver area. What Carvin models do you have? Maybe we can figure out a jam at some point. :)

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:44 am

Just found pics of your DC125. What a beautiful instrument!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Gunnski

Postby Gunnski » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:26 pm

Hey Labyrinth, yeah a jam session would definitely be great. I'll PM you and we can trade phone numbers.

feelthaflo
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby feelthaflo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Count me in! I just moved here from upstate NY in October. I have a CT4, TLB60, re-tubed Nomad, and a new DC700 on the way (due here by Christmas if all goes well). Anybody have a venue we can use to get together sometime soon?

feelthaflo
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby feelthaflo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Count me in! I just moved here from upstate NY in October. I have a CT4, TLB60, re-tubed Nomad, and a new DC700 on the way (due here by Christmas if all goes well). Anybody have a venue we can use to get together sometime soon?

Return to Carvinite Gatherings