Coming to Cali - Advice?

Holding a Bash? Looking to set one up? Post here.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

FloridaTim

Coming to Cali - Advice?

Postby FloridaTim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:54 am

Hi all,
My wife and I will be coming to California in October and was wondering if Carvin gave factory tours?

And, if not, is it worth driving down to the Sad Diego store from OC, or is the OC store just as nice?

We are staying in Long Beach and OC, but have 12 days, so a trip to San Diego would be easy to do.

Thanks for your help.
Tim

Hairmacht
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: Coming to Cali - Advice?

Postby Hairmacht » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:08 am

As far as I know, Carvin does not give factory tours unless you're industry, an endorser or you happen to know someone high up.

I'd say the San Diego store is worth a visit because you get to meet the awesome people there, see some of the guitars and models that you don't get to see at the Santa Ana store, as well as possibly meet some of the higher ups in the company (who might be willing to show you around but don't take my word on that). The San Diego store is only about an hour and a half or less without traffic from the Santa Ana store so if you're renting a car, it's not that big of a hurdle. Not to mention that San Diego boasts some of the most beautiful beaches that California has to offer, lots of sightseeing possibilities that you can fit into there. If you plan it right, you can spend a couple days there and visit Sea World and the Zoo and other San Diego spots.

The Hollywood store is also only about 40-50 minutes from the Santa Ana store so that would be a cool visit too. This way you can visit Hollywood and other parts of Los Angeles (visit the museums or go on tours or whatever) as well as visit the Hollywood Guitar Center and see the vintage room full of guitars worth more than 450,000 dollars.

There are tons of things to do and see, so it's up to you on how you wanted to spend your 12 days!
The Arsenal
'75 SS76, '77 CM130, '85 V220, '85 V220, '86 V440, '88 DC125, '88 DC125, '89 DC150, '90 BC130, '93 DC400, '93 DC127, '03 DC127, Cobalt 250, '12 CS6, '13 DC800, '14 SCB7
MTS3200H, 412VB, Belair, 212E, G212

Raymeous
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Raymeous » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:16 am

Hello there!

Carvin does NOT give factory tours unfortunately (insurance reasons) but it is definitely worth a trip down to the factory showroom to meet the peeps and play with the toys. While not overly huge (Santa Anna is double the size) Flock, Mike, and Jorge are great people. You may even meet a Carvin endorsee, or members of the family that run the business.

I have been able to chat with several of Carvin's endorsees outside of Carvins semi-regular clincs. You never know who will be there. Fellow Carvinites are usually around as well. I've met a few of our forum family while stopping in to hang out or chat about my next build with the staff.

Outside of the Carvin stuff, San Diego has a ton of touristy things to do, from the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Legoland, Balboa Park Museums, Old Town, and of course several beaches. There are also a ridiculous amount of great restaurants here so it would be quite easy to find yourself "fat and happy" staying here for a few days.
"Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but sometimes we have to paint it on ourselves" - Me

Raymeous
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Raymeous » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:10 am

Mike Jones, the guy who gave us the factory showroom photo thread (17 pages of pics at this point) is now moving up to the phone sales group. So if you call an order in you may be talking to him. Why not go meet him in person so that when you place your next over the phone order you'll know who you're talking to. Just an idea.
"Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but sometimes we have to paint it on ourselves" - Me

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:01 am

I'd say the SD store is TOTALLY worth the visit. And while you're there, drive about 30miles south to visit the Taylor factory-- they do give free tours and it's a great experience. Fender in Corona CA also give tours for a small fee. It's also a good time, though I enjoyed the Taylor tour more (just a different vibe).

My wife and I visited each this past spring, and had a blast! You can check out my blog to get a better idea what each is like-- I wrote a series called California Trippin' about our guitar oriented road trip from Washington state to San Diego & back. Good times!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Bottom line is, yes! Take a few days if you can-- you won't be sorry ;)

emmettsc
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby emmettsc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 am

I agree, you should definitely take the Taylor factory tour. Great place to visit and learn about guitars. The Carvin factory is very cool, wish they did give tours.

You should bring your family up here to Santa Barbara though! :D 8)
SH550
CT6m
CT4
B40
Cobalt C250
84' X-100B
Nomad

emmettsc
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby emmettsc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 am

I agree, you should definitely take the Taylor factory tour. Great place to visit and learn about guitars. The Carvin factory is very cool, wish they did give tours.

You should bring your family up here to Santa Barbara though! :D 8)
SH550
CT6m
CT4
B40
Cobalt C250
84' X-100B
Nomad

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Coming to Cali - Advice?

Postby Randy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:45 am

emmettsc wrote:You should bring your family up here to Santa Barbara though! :D 8)

Agreed!!

Growing up in So Cal, I spent a lot of time in SB. Still have family out there too. My favorite place to eat is Tinkers Burgers just a bit south of SB, on hwy101... I think the town is called Summerland if I recall. Any time I'd travel in that area I'd stop in. Great place, great people, awesome area... can't go wrong taking the family up there for a few days! They've got a nice zoo also ;)

Jimkatoom
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimkatoom » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Randy,
Great thread, and read all six posts of your blog to So Cal, and guitar heaven! I wasn't aware of Taylor guitars being down there, too...
I have an HH2 on order, due to be completed on the 28th of Oct. and the plan is to go down there and pick it up. ( we live near Monterey, Ca) Thank you for the "preview" of what to experience down there in southern Cal.
Appreciate your efforts towards sustainability in the luthier industry. Are you familiar with Bob Taylor's efforts in this area regarding ebony and it's harvesting? Google it, it's worth it
Again, great thread :applause:
Got it:
HH2 satin Cherryburst flame, CT624 Orangebust flame, BOLT Kit in tung oil
5 "other" guitars: Epi, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, PRS
6 amps, Mesa (2),Fender, Blackstar, Vox, Crate
Need it:
SC90, TL60, SH445, CS6 or CS624, V220, V3M212S

Jimkatoom
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimkatoom » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:21 pm

FloridaTim- got so caught up in Randy's blog, I blew it on you being the OP.
When in Oct are you going to be in So Cal. I'll be at the San Diego facility at the end of the month to pick up a new HH2. It would be neat to meet a fellow Carvinite :D
Cheers,
Jim
Got it:

HH2 satin Cherryburst flame, CT624 Orangebust flame, BOLT Kit in tung oil

5 "other" guitars: Epi, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, PRS

6 amps, Mesa (2),Fender, Blackstar, Vox, Crate

Need it:

SC90, TL60, SH445, CS6 or CS624, V220, V3M212S

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Coming to Cali - Advice?

Postby Randy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:05 pm

Jimkatoom wrote:Randy,
Great thread, and read all six posts of your blog to So Cal, and guitar heaven! I wasn't aware of Taylor guitars being down there, too...
I have an HH2 on order, due to be completed on the 28th of Oct. and the plan is to go down there and pick it up. ( we live near Monterey, Ca) Thank you for the "preview" of what to experience down there in southern Cal.
Appreciate your efforts towards sustainability in the luthier industry. Are you familiar with Bob Taylor's efforts in this area regarding ebony and it's harvesting? Google it, it's worth it
Again, great thread :applause:

Thanks!

You know, I must have watched that Taylor video on the state of ebony a few hundred times :) It was actually that video that gave me the idea to research the topic, which then lead to the blog :lol:

I've got that video listed in my "Links" section... but I'll probably imbed it into a new article. I've been concentrating more on the guitar stuff lately, and plan to have a few more posts on responsible forestry and a few articles to encourage people-- specifically older people-- to try learning a musical instrument. I plan on doing more research about Neural Plasticity and the what effect that might have on a persons quality of life. As a case study, I'll be attempting to learn reading music and playing the bass. It may not be a terrible stretch for me because I played guitar for 30+ years, but since the only real translatable thing between the two is theory, it should work well enough ;)

I'm also excited to watch a new independent documentary about the disappearing supply of Sitka Spruce, "Musicwood"

Thanks again for checking out the blog!

Hopefully the OP gets to read these posts, and visit Carvin, Taylor, etc... are ya still around FloridaTim?

Return to Carvinite Gatherings