My Carvin/Kiesel Family

Holding a Bash? Looking to set one up? Post here.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Mufasa
Carvinite
Carvinite

My Carvin/Kiesel Family

Postby Mufasa » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi everyone, this isn't the best spot to put this, but it will work for now.

Roughly four years ago, I contracted a nasty little thing called Lemierres syndrome. It is extremely rare and usually attacks people half my age. For whatever reason, it decided to hit me and I never get sick. Haven't had a cold in 25 years and never had the flu etc. In the span of 2 days, my life almost ended and I lost 35 pounds and lost all sense of smell, taste etc.

It took a full year to fight my way back and I am happy to say that there are no lingering symptoms except for some possible scar tissue on my lungs. Other than my reef aquarium forums, this is really the only online presence I maintain. This is one of the few things that kept me going during the very dark days when I was out of the hospital. It gave me a chance to think about something else other than feeling sorry for myself and how much more weight I was going to lose before my life ended.

Although I've never met any of you, I feel like I know many of you well. I thoroughly enjoy reading about NGD's, other gear purchases and watching videos of real, talented guitar players(X-mann, Elf, Pastor Dave) and many others. This is a really special place with a great group of people, including Jeff and Mark and all of the other folks at Kiesel. During the months of recovery, I swore to myself I would not take anything for granted anymore and haven't always done a great job with that.

If anyone is ever in the Twin Cities area of MN, please don't hesitate to message me. I have a large home and anybody would be welcome to hang out and maybe jam with a hack/newbie guitarist :)

Michael

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: My Carvin/Kiesel Family

Postby arahobob » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Sounds like things are going well - that's terrific to hear!
It's nice to hear these kinds of stories.
:rockon:
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:52 am

Hi Michael,

It's great to hear about your almost full recovery! I'm glad this forum kept you positive in trying times. It really is a great bunch of people - I'm glad to say and proud to be a part of. Here's to your continued good health...
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:36 am

Coda wrote:Hi Michael,

It's great to hear about your almost full recovery! I'm glad this forum kept you positive in trying times. It really is a great bunch of people - I'm glad to say and proud to be a part of. Here's to your continued good health...

Yeah! That! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:09 pm

WOW! I just saw this.. I have to say, this forum has quite a crew of extremely strong guys here who are now or were at one point staring down some vicious life challenges. I know they're not always strong behind the scenes in real life--there's no possible way to be, not all the time or even half the time. It's not easy and there's no rule book, and I'm just speaking as an outsider. There are at least five guys I can think of on here who have dealt with total &%@#ing devastation to their health and are either working their way back through recovery, or just straight up doing their best to slug through the situation. . . and they all have my thoughts.

For you Mufasa obviously I am thrilled you came all the way back.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Mufasa
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Mufasa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanks for all the nice replies guys. This post wasn't intended to be self gratifying in anyway :)

It was more about the great group of people here, especially considering most online forums these days.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:32 am

No pity ,just understanding, support and empathy.

One reason this forum is so mellow i believe is the age of the group. We are old compared to most. That being the case I feel you will find more understanding because we have been there.

Look at me. I have Crohn's and lymphoma. I bet most reading this have something hurting them.

If you need support or a vent it is all good. I will drop all the tone wood debates and rally to be there for anyone who needs it.

I would love to come over and jam. Just too long of a drive.

Bundy
Location: N. Carolina Carvin Institute for the Musically Insane, V3 Ward

Postby Bundy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Mr. Mufasa, I've never been to Minnesota. Lived in Michigan and Wisconsin, but I'm in NC now. And man, I miss a really good snow! I am glad your health is better and where it should be; I remember you on this forum and you're a much-loved and valued member. So yeah, let's jam!

Texastoast is right, most folks reading this are probably afflicted in some way. about 3 years ago I was told I'm in phase 2 of spinal degeneration disease. A couple days ago this sciatica crap attacked me and is kickin' me to near-paralysis when I'm already down. Most of you know I lost a 15-year old son in 2006, but I lost my wife of 30 years 7 months and 23 days less than three weeks ago to cancer. I'm too stubborn to lay down and give up, as much as I am tired.

I am glad you did not give up, Michael. Carvin/Kiesel people are GOOD people, and this world needs more of them. Peace and love to all of you!
~Bundy
~Bundy Reverbnation~
Carvin guitars!

RIP Carolyn Ann "Bundywoman" 8/9/1963-10/13/2016 Soulmate

Mufasa
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Mufasa » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:29 pm

Bundy wrote:Mr. Mufasa, I've never been to Minnesota. Lived in Michigan and Wisconsin, but I'm in NC now. And man, I miss a really good snow! I am glad your health is better and where it should be; I remember you on this forum and you're a much-loved and valued member. So yeah, let's jam!

Texastoast is right, most folks reading this are probably afflicted in some way. about 3 years ago I was told I'm in phase 2 of spinal degeneration disease. A couple days ago this sciatica crap attacked me and is kickin' me to near-paralysis when I'm already down. Most of you know I lost a 15-year old son in 2006, but I lost my wife of 30 years 7 months and 23 days less than three weeks ago to cancer. I'm too stubborn to lay down and give up, as much as I am tired.

I am glad you did not give up, Michael. Carvin/Kiesel people are GOOD people, and this world needs more of them. Peace and love to all of you!
~Bundy

So sorry to hear about your wife. I read all of your posts when I first joined here back in 2011 and it was your original dragonburst that now resides with your son that inspired mine :) That's just a beautiful guitar.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:39 pm

Bundy wrote:.... A couple days ago this sciatica crap attacked me and is kickin' me to near-paralysis when I'm already down. ...~Bundy

Ouch. I've had 2 bouts with that over the last few years, most recently back in May and still have a numb right foot (plantar facia ... or nerve damage???). 1st time the "event" took all of about 10 secs, but had a 6-week "charlie horse" in my left leg. This episode lasted a few days, no real muscle pulls, but this foot issue for 6 months now. Dr. gave me "Gabapentin" + B12, no real improvement.
But knowing you, like me - in each instance I never stopped doing anything physical that I had to, and could do. Mow lawn, lift dogs into baths or car (65 and 50 lbs each), get on roof to patch leak, golf (yeah, real tough one), etc...

Getting old sux, kick its a.. B!
:twisted:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to Carvinite Gatherings