Carvin CM-140 - Finding bridge parts?

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

jburl

Carvin CM-140 - Finding bridge parts?

Postby jburl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:52 am

Hello, I'm new to the forum so please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Maybe it would be more appropriate to post in a re-builders forum. I purchased a CM-140 (1978, I believe) from a guy on Facebook. It was stripped down and beat to hell, I think someone tried to smash it at one point because of dings on the body and cracks over the control cavity. Fortunately it's all in once piece, came with the original M-22s (SD & N), case, and bridge.

Unfortunately, the bridge (Schaller 456) did not come with all of the parts. One of the fine tuner knob screws was removed and both of the mounting posts are missing.

My question is, is there a place where I can buy individual bridge parts? This particular bridge runs $350-$450 depending on where you try to buy it from, so I don't think total replacement is cost-effective.

20171204_175211.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ElfDude

Re: Carvin CM-140 - Finding bridge parts?

Postby ElfDude » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:07 am

That poor guitar!

I don't know where to get parts, but I'm sure glad that someone is going to give that instrument the restoration that it deserves.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

jburl

Postby jburl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:58 am

Thanks! I've got big plans, it's my first guitar build. Sanded the body finish off and I'm going to route a strip out of the top and inlay walnut into the maple. The pickups are getting new wiring all the way back to the coils and I'm giving both of them 3-way switches for Series/Parallel/Coil Split (tapping). Also I'm rewiring it for mono instead of stereo - I never really understood the appeal of stereo guitars.

image-20180303_153138.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jburl

Postby jburl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 am

It looks like Schaller just came out with a wraparound bridge called "Signum" that may be similar in dimensions to the 456 - I'll measure the post holes, maybe it's a direct swap.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:26 am

jburl wrote: maybe it's a direct swap.

Wouldn't that be awesome?
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

jburl

Postby jburl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:11 pm

ElfDude wrote:

The post studs look like they're almost the same diameter and the distance between them measures really close too, I think I'll take a risk on the $99 product rather than the $400 one!

Terry Tibbs
Links/Contact:

Postby Terry Tibbs » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:57 pm

Did the Signum fit? I was hoping to install that bridge on a Holdsworth Fatboy.

Terry Tibbs
Links/Contact:

Postby Terry Tibbs » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:21 pm

jburl wrote:
ElfDude wrote:

The post studs look like they're almost the same diameter and the distance between them measures really close too, I think I'll take a risk on the $99 product rather than the $400 one!

Did it work out?

Return to Builder's Forum