Holdsworth headstock tuner issue.

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

TroyW

Holdsworth headstock tuner issue.

Postby TroyW » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:28 am

Hey All!

I was checking the board for builds that used the Holdsworth headstock but haven't found anything specific to my issue. I have a quick question and I thought you all might be able to share your experiences regarding how the tuners lined up on your 2+4s.

I just decided to switch this neck onto a strat build I did a few years ago. Currently, it has a Carvin bolt with an inline 6 in Rock hard maple. Anyhow, I got a new set of tuners for the Holdworth neck and when I fitted them the other night I noticed that the treble side (4) extend out quite a bit further than the 2 on the bass side which are tucked in on the headstock pretty tight. (I'm adding a photo so you can see what I mean.)

Did anyone have the same issue? If so, what was your solution?

Thanks in advance!
Troy

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Holdsworth headstock tuner issue.

Postby wickid » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:19 pm

These are sperzels you got? I was going to ask - 'from Kiesel" - but I doubt they carry them any more.
Sperzels sometimes (often?) come in "staggered" sets - I forget if 2 are longer or shorter … in fact it may be 2 short + 2 mid + 2 long. I'm wondering if you got a staggered set (for / from a Strat)?

*derp* after re-reading and studying the pic more, … you meant the shaft to the tuner buttons, not the string-thru part. *nevermind*
Last edited by wickid on Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

TroyW

Postby TroyW » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:54 pm

Yeah, I have sperzels on the old inline neck. These are actually Hipshots and, yes, it's the buttons which are the concern.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:04 pm

Yeah if you look at the mounting holes for the tuners there's more wood to the sides on the bass side tuners.
If you're worried about clearance, Hipshot makes a barrel button that looks super cool and would drop right in.

TroyW

Postby TroyW » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Thanks guys! I'm pretty aware of the reason why it's like that. Feel like it was a manufacturing mistake but I bought this neck a long time ago and going back to Carvin/Kiesel isn't an option.

At this point, I'm going to have to reduce the amount of material between the tuner and the edge. I have an oscillating spindle sander which I think would do a nice job but I'm trying to figure out the best way to trace along the outside edge to take off about 1/8" without changing the shape too much. (don't trust myself to freehand it)

It's mostly an aesthetic thing but I know if I don't do it I'll be pissed every time I look at it.....that's just me...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:19 pm

It doesn't seem like a manufacturing mistake. Looking at lots of pictures of Holdsworth headstocks, it seems fairly common that the "=2" side tuners don't stick out as far as the "4" side.

The headstock is designed for straight string pull. If the tuners get moved over, you give that up. It seems like maybe they likely would have tried different headstock shapes so that the tuners would have stuck out evenly, but either aesthetics or Allan's preferences landed them here. just my rationalization, which may have zero connection to reality. :laughhard:

Another example:

TroyW

Postby TroyW » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:16 pm

spudmunkey wrote:It doesn't seem like a manufacturing mistake. Looking at lots of pictures of Holdsworth headstocks, it seems fairly common that the "=2" side tuners don't stick out as far as the "4" side.

The headstock is designed for straight string pull. If the tuners get moved over, you give that up. It seems like maybe they likely would have tried different headstock shapes so that the tuners would have stuck out evenly, but either aesthetics or Allan's preferences landed them here. just my rationalization, which may have zero connection to reality. :laughhard:

Another example:

I see what you mean...hmmm...just seems wrong to me.

Return to Builder's Forum