Questions for Jazzmaster Build

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Questions for Jazzmaster Build

Postby nascarbean_97 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:45 pm

So I am slowly accumulating parts to build a Jazzmaster inspired by John Flansburgh's mirror Jazzmaster.
The guitar almost gave me stitches last year, so I've always liked it. :D

Call me crazy, but, I'm wanting to do a finish with checking in it. I'm planning on freezing the body, then putting it in the oven at 150 degrees, shouldn't hurt the wood at that temperature.

Do I have to use nitro in order to do this? Or will poly crack in the same way. I'm fine with using nitro, poly is just a bit more practical with the curing time.

Thanks!

Stone Temple Pinot
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Questions for Jazzmaster Build

Postby Stone Temple Pinot » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:30 am

Are you a lefty? Sidebar question, but I noticed that photo is backwards.

Anyway.....from reading around on the ReRanch forum, I think nitro gives you the best check.

One in particular I read about was spraying outside in the heat and then immediately bringing it into air conditioning before it flashes.
Two things that bother me (a newb on the issue) is spraying in the summer with all the dust and bugs in the air.....and secondly, having a REALLY smelly guitar coming immediately in the house. :naughty:
That wouldn't be my style.

I like your idea better....
With one question....would you wait the 30 day dry time and then check it? I guess you kind of have to. Trying to support a partially cured guitar in a freezer and oven could be a challenge.

Next idea....if you have some poly laying around try it on some scrap, since it dries pretty fast and see if it will check for you.

Last question....what color is that jazzmaster? Kind of looks like candy tangerine,but it could be the lights. As you know I love that color!
Interested to watch progress on this one....
PS. Lurk around on reranch. There are tons of threads on checking the finish.
STP

Don
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Don » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:40 am

I was going to suggest Reranch as well. They sell everything you'll need.

That guitar looks like a traditional Fender fiesta red though it's hard to tell with the stage lighting.

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: Questions for Jazzmaster Build

Postby nascarbean_97 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:57 am

Stone Temple Pinot wrote:Are you a lefty? Sidebar question, but I noticed that photo is backwards.

The photo is not actually backwards, he's a lefty, and the guitar's logo is mirrored! Really confused me the first time I saw it. However, I am a righty.

In Washington, I'd have to wait until August to get any sort of real heat, and the bugs scare me too!

Yeah, I guess that'd be the only way...

I might try that, but everybody online seems to say it's too soft.

Here's a pic with less stage lighting. :lol:
Looks like it's darker/more red than fiesta red.

I'll start posting pics once I get all the parts, might take a while as my gear fund consists of 0 dollars!

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:19 am

So my plans go like this:
The body will be alder. I'm up in the air for finishes, I'm thinking seafoam green or translucent emerald. I'm using nitro gloss clear, and doing the freezer method to check it. No pickguard, no rhythm circuit.

I'm hoping to get an alder neck from usacg. Warmoth turned me down because they said it wasn't strong enough, which is not true, it's a stronger wood than mahogany. Been discussed countless times on this very forum. If I am able to get the alder neck, it'll be tung oiled.
Alder rear routed body from usacg or warmoth.

Tune-o-matic with stoptail. The jazzmaster vibrato and bridge have never suited me well, the trem feels funny with bending, and I guess I am too agressive, the strings never stay in the slots on those weird multi-slotted bridges.

As far as pickups go, it'll start out with gfs Jazzmaster pickups, which will later be replaced by Lollars.

Still thinking of what to put on the headstock. I have time. :lol:

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 am

Anybody know a good place to get tinted aerosol lacquers? Tone tech seems great, but they're uk based...

Also, if I am using tinted nitro to get a green, do I need to seal it with clear nitro on top? Or will it be durable? I'm not looking for a super thick and strong finish, I'm wanting it to be able to wear.

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Alder neck is a go.

Stone Temple Pinot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Stone Temple Pinot » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:30 pm

nascarbean_97 wrote:Anybody know a good place to get tinted aerosol lacquers? Tone tech seems great, but they're uk based...

Also, if I am using tinted nitro to get a green, do I need to seal it with clear nitro on top? Or will it be durable? I'm not looking for a super thick and strong finish, I'm wanting it to be able to wear.

You don't have to put clear on it...
This guy did two cans of reranch gorilla vanilla and he's going to wetsand from there with no clear coat...
http://reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=51447
What I'm unsure of is how shiny it will be...
I suppose if you wetsand through the ranks and polish, it will still shine.

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Hmmm... I'll watch the progress of that thread and decide, I have a while to think.

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:15 am

Anybody know where I could get a Jaguar switch plate with four slots?

dvlsadvc8t
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dvlsadvc8t » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:13 pm

For that 4-hole plate, you probably need to contact Marc Rutters ( www.ruttersguitars.com ). He does a lot of vintage correct plates and will also do some custom plates for you. I've gotten a custom tele plate with angled pickup selector switch, mini switch, and 2 pots, and I think it cost me about $20 to have done. So check him out. He mills everything himself. And just contact him and ask him for a price before checking out the prices on his website and not contacting him. The stuff on his website tends to be made for vintage looking guitars.

On another note, whatever you do, DO NOT PUT A GUITAR PAINTED WITH NITRO INTO AN OVEN!!! 2 reasons. #1 - It may still be gassing off and cause a minor explosion that kills you. #2 - That amount of heat will cause the finish to separate from the guitar. I don't think you want either of those.

All that you need to do is:

Prep the body, seal the body, spray your primer/color coat or toner coat if trans, spray between 3 and 6 coats of clear (remember 3 passes = 1 coat), wet sand smooth and buff if you desire. Then put it in the freezer. Remember that all of the guitars that you see with checking were once brand new guitars with perfectly smooth finishes.

Also, you are going to remove a lot more clear than you think when you wetsand it smooth. If you spray so that there is a minimum of orange peel, you could probably get away with as few as 3 coats of clear. At 3 coats, I would start assessing how thin I would want the top coat to be.

For clear coat, and you want checking, I would use the Seagraves lacquer from StewMac. Unfortunately, it's the most expensive that they have, but I have found that it checks the easiest and yellows nicely over time. Deft is next to impossible to get to check and can take a long time to cure. I've used Watco a lot but haven't tried to get it to check. Behlens is another nice lacquer, but I'm not sure about the checking qualities of it.

Let me know if you decide to get the green dye for a trans finish. I will give you the ratios for making the lacquer the proper tint. A couple of other things that you will want to get - some kind of dropper for working with the dye so you can get a precise and correct amount of dye to lacquer ratio and also a small measuring cup that measures at most an ounce. You'll use the measuring cup (you can buy a pack from StewMac or just use one from a NyQuil bottle) to measure out the lacquer and lacquer thinner.

The bad thing is that doing a trans finish can become costly if you're doing just 1 guitar because you need to gather a few supplies. If you're doing a few guitars, these expenses spread out nicely so it doesn't hurt as much. Doing a solid finish is much cheaper since you can just buy a can of primer, a can of paint, and a couple of cans of clear.

One last thing is that you want to buy the sandpaper sampler from StewMac. It is by far the best deal they have, and it gives you a couple of sheets of every grit that you will need - 220 to 2000.

Good luck and holler at me if you need any guidance. And yes, come over and hang out at the Reranch a little while. We won't bite, but the guitar building and finishing bug may bite. You'll quickly see that this guitar-building stuff isn't a mystery.

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Thank you so much dvlsadvc8. You've got to be the most helpful guy on a forum I've ever encountered. :lol:

That clear sounds like the best way if you say so. Have you tried the Re Ranch aerosol clear? Just another option...

And I'll try not to kill myself. :lol:

Thanks, again.

dvlsadvc8t
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dvlsadvc8t » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:48 am

Thanks. I try.

I knew I forgot to mention something. I have used the Reranch clear, and it is on par with the Seagraves. If you decide to go with a solid finish, I would go ahead and get the primer, color, and clear from Reranch. The RR primer is so much better than the crap from HD or Lowes. I have resprayed many guitars just because of issues with the bad primers. Never an issue with RR primer. I haven't looked to see if Bill sells clear in anything other than aerosol. You may want to check.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:20 am

nascarbean_97 wrote:You've got to be the most helpful guy on a forum I've ever encountered.

The old axiom I once heard applies here: "There is no substitute for KNOWING."
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:30 am

He says he can't ship paint cans due to legal restrictions... That baffles me.

Thanks so much.

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:05 pm

So, just wondering here, but if I use a base coat that isn't nitro, but still use a nitro clear, should the finish still check?

EDIT:
Project fell through... I needed a hollowbody and I really need to help finish a Jazz Bass project.... Maybe someday I'll pick this up. :oops:

EDIT2:
I'm most likely returning the hollowbody and I'm going to pick this project back up. Soon. Sorry if anybody has had as much anticipation over this as me. :lol:

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby nascarbean_97 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Aye!!!! Body's gonna be ordered this week! Then the painting will commence. John Deere Blitz Black is what I'm gonna use, should be pretty simple compared to any of my other ideas, and it'll look killer with a no inlay ebony fingerboard.

Return to Builder's Forum