Stripping a DN612

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

fatfretty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Stripping a DN612

Postby fatfretty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:53 pm

I am getting an 80's vintage DN612. RIght now it is in white, but it has a crack in the finish at the neck join on the 12 string side. The neck is fine, I have measured and checked tolerances, etc. before I bought it. I know from other posts, that Carvin sometimes used flamed, quilted, whatever they had at hand in the old days if they were behind schedule and had to get the guitar done. I know at the least it is solid maple anyway. I am wanting to strip it down, and refinish it, but I don't know what is involved with getting the old finish off. What was the default white paint used back then? What is it going to take to strip it?

Stone Temple Pinot
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Stripping a DN612

Postby Stone Temple Pinot » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:00 am

Definitely need to figure out the type of finish first, then ideas will flow. I have no idea what type I finish it would be. Maybe call and ask?

If it is a poly finish, to start you'll need a heat gun and scraper.

It is also going to depend on how you refinish it.
What is your plan?
Nitro?
Acrylic?
Poly?

Happy to help shoot some ideas if you find out what is currently on there.

Should be a fun project!!!

STP

fatfretty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: re: Stripping a DN612

Postby fatfretty » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:35 pm

Stone Temple Pinot wrote:Definitely need to figure out the type of finish first, then ideas will flow. I have no idea what type I finish it would be. Maybe call and ask?

If it is a poly finish, to start you'll need a heat gun and scraper.

It is also going to depend on how you refinish it.
What is your plan?
Nitro?
Acrylic?
Poly?

Happy to help shoot some ideas if you find out what is currently on there.

Should be a fun project!!!

STP

I'm going to shoot an email to Albert Comas, or give him a call this week and see what he says. I'll shoot you a PM when I know. Thanks for the help.

I plan to strip it down to the bare wood maybe lighlty stain or clearcoat it. If the maple turns out to be figured, or just nicely grained, I'll tung oil it. I am using tung oil on the backs of the necks regardless.

Return to Builder's Forum