Question Regarding a TLB60 Guitar Body

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

paragon

Question Regarding a TLB60 Guitar Body

Postby paragon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Howdy Carvinites,

I had a mind to try my hand at building a TLK1 kit (i.e. TLB60 telebolt), where I was planning to buy the kit without the body, and make my own body from a nice hunk of curly cherry I have sitting around.

The problem with this plan is: As per a phone call today, Carvin will not sell a kit with no body, or more precisely, they will sell a kit with no body for the same price as a kit with a body.

(Rather than, as one might expect, selling a kit for roughly $155 less with no body.)

Anyway, if I were to go ahead and buy a kit, I would then want to resell the body to someone, perhaps at a discount from the $155 list price.

Just curious if there is any interest out in Carvin land. If so, a PM would be in order. I could also modify the plans and convert to a bolt or boltplus kit if necessary... As far as cost of re-shipping the body, I am located in Ohio.

Thanks and Happy New Year to All,

-Paragon

mge80
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Question Regarding a TLB60 Guitar Body

Postby mge80 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Instead of running afoul of rule b. above (No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed), it is recommended you take your request to the Carvin Museum site, where they do have a "For Sale/Wanted To Buy" section.

Stone Temple Pinot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Stone Temple Pinot » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:24 am

I am sort of baffled......
Instead of buying the kit without the body, why don't you just buy all the parts and pieces....plus the neck?

STP

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:46 am

Personally, I would want the Carvin body to check measurements against. If I were so awesome that I didn't need it, I'd make the neck, too.

nascarbean_97
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: Question Regarding a TLB60 Guitar Body

Postby nascarbean_97 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:00 am

Stone Temple Pinot wrote:I am sort of baffled......
Instead of buying the kit without the body, why don't you just buy all the parts and pieces....plus the neck?

STP

This. Carvin offers all the parts to make your own guitar, no need for a kit. And the neck won't need refretting or anything like other certain companies....

paragon

Postby paragon » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Thank you for all for the replies.

1. Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.

2. Yes, one can certainly accumulate the entire parts list necessary to build a guitar (less a body), but if we do the math on that, we find the sum of parts prices to build up a kit is quite a bit higher than the parts when purchased in a kit. Best way may be to buy a kit then resell the body, if possible.

This project may have to go on the back burner: I've recently downloaded some body diagrams for several guitar styles, and the woodworking requires more precision routing/cutting/drilling operations than I may be able to accomplish with the tools in hand.

If the opportunity presents itself, I may ask a relative that lives in the San Diego area to hand carry the wood blank to Carvin and find out if they will create a kit from it. (They stated on the phone they will only agree to use customer wood after inspecting it for suitability, which is a very reasonable position...)

Best Regards,

-Paragon

DCLguitardude

Postby DCLguitardude » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:04 am

Paragon, you just answered my question I had for you. I was going to ask what your wood working skills are and do you have the minimum tools and skills required to make a guitar body. I spent about $800 in routing templates, fretting tools and stuff just to make my first scratch built guitar.

To do JUST the body you'll need the minimum tools:
1 Jig or preferably a Band Saw
2 Router and bits (round over bit for the edges, template bit with bearing for the cavities) A router table is EXTREMELY desirable.
3 Drill press

And the MOST helpful tools to me, are templates, templates, templates..... EVERY great luthier has a ton of them. Some you can buy, some you can make.

ALSO, here's a suggestion for the body, if you have to by it anyway, find someone that can Resaw (that's cutting the body in half, width wise) so you'd have a front routing template and a rear routing template. Then you can duplicate the Carvin body fairly easily with the right tools.

Also, you would need access to a planer to ensure that your guitar body blank is perfectly linear, the back should be parallel to the front and both the top and back MUST be planed perfectly flat.

I hope this helps some, good luck with your project.

Dvldogg187

Postby Dvldogg187 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:22 am

Make your own body dude. There is something very rewarding about making your first guitar. It seems so huge and so impossible and when you are done I seems like it was nothing.

The neck is the hardest part to make, the body is easy. You could make the body out of a cinder block and it'll work ok. My advice is to buy some cheap pine and test your method before you start cutting a nice piece of wood. Remember, it's just wood and all mistakes can be fixed.

The hardest part of making the body is getting the bridge in just the right place. If its off it will have negative impact on the sound. The rest of it is easy. With a good router and a fairly steady hand you can cut out the pickup pockets easily. Make sure to start shallow and work to a depth slowly.

If you want to make this project very easy buy a through body neck. Then you just have to glue your two pieces to it, plane the top, give the back some cool contours and you are done. None if the mess of getting the neck pocket to line up right.

Just go for it, it's only wood!

paragon

Postby paragon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 am

Thank you for the tips, folks.

I have this large plank of cherry (circa 19" x 30" x 1.75"), with some nice curl, that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. You just normally do not find cherry this wide.

(There is a lumberyard around an hour from here that planes wood on a fantastic 52" wide planer/sander for very reasonable prices.)

Anyone familiar with cherry might be aware of why it is one of my favorite woods:

1. Figured Cherry often has excellent chatoyance under a glossy finish. (That's French for "shimmery".)
2. The color starts out pale tan/pink, but exposure to light darkens it over time into a rich deep red color. Many furniture makers actually put a dark stain on cherry to produce a cheap facsimile of that long-term deep red color, thereby ruining the effect, IMO.

I have some woodworking skills, but very few tools at this point. I'm potentially going to buy some additional tools, e.g. a bandsaw would be exceptionally handy. Problem is lack of space to put such tools.

You can imagine how buying a new house with more space, plus several woodworking tools, might substantially increase the cost of this guitar project :o)

So this wood may yet become a guitar body, but I'm leaning towards another use for it that may make better use of the whole piece, and require fewer tools to accomplish.

Time will tell...

Thanks!

-Paragon

Dvldogg187

Postby Dvldogg187 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:23 pm

A jig saw and a power drill are all you really need. A nice palm sander would be handy though. A hand planer can't hurt. A couple hours of practice and you could easily be proficient. A good set of chisels and you are in business. Time is the key to woodworking. If you take your time you can do anything. All of the big fancy tools will make things go faster, lots faster, but it can be very rewarding to slow down and really take your time with it.

I am convinced that anyone with limited experience can build a guitar body, they are incredibly simple and you can make it in whatever shape you want.

If I was to approach this project with limited tools I would start out by either gluing the wood together to make a body blank, or if I have a big enough chunk make it with one single piece. Make sure to plane the parts of the wood that will be mated do you have an even surface.

Then you cut out your shape. You don't need a template you can make whatever shape you want. You can call Carvin for the aprx dimensions you will need for the neck pocket and draw its location. Don't cut it yet as you will want the neck to trace out your lines for the neck pocket.

Use a chisel to cut out the neck pocket. You can use a drill to take out some of the meat, just use some tape to mark the depth on the bit. Once you have the neck set attach 2 pieces of string to the bridge and use that to line up and set the bridge, you'll have to ask Carvin what the scale length is to find how far back the bridge sets. Then you chisel out your control pockets and pickup pockets and do some final shaping to the body and you are in business.

It seems pretty complicated at first but it is really simple. Buy some cheap pine and make a test one, you will see how forgiving wood is and how ultimately uncomplicated the body is to make.

I made a mahogany telecaster entirely from scratch without having ever owned an electric guitar, nor having held one. You just have to take your time and think about what you are doing.

Return to Builder's Forum