Removing Paint - enuff Z Nuff

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

lefty6string
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Removing Paint - enuff Z Nuff

Postby lefty6string » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Pardon the 80s hairband reference... but enough really is enough...

I have a Bolt Plus kit that I ordered in 2010. I decided to paint it like an EVH Frankenstein. I tried several different tapes for masking and no matter how hard I tried, when I removed the masking, it pulled off part of the paint exposing the primer or it left very sloppy lines. The more I tried to fix it, the worse it gets. I guess I am too much of a perfectionist.

I am now to the point where I want to start over. Whats the best way to remove the paint? Sanding or some kind of chemical process?

The plan now is to go ONE COLOR with no masking!!! I am SO ready to get this baby done as Santa brought me 2 EVH pickups and I wanna rock!!

Thanks!

lefty

Stone Temple Pinot
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Removing Paint - enuff Z Nuff

Postby Stone Temple Pinot » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Two questions:

1. Did you try frog tape?
2. What kind of paint? (Removal process varies by type of paint)

STP

lefty6string
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby lefty6string » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 am

Yes on the Frog Tape.

Here is the product plus one light coat of rattle-can spray poly.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killer ... pearls.htm

Stevonator
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Stevonator » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:19 pm

need 3m blue fine line tape available at body shop supplies or some parts stores that carry body shop supplies. Kinda like narrow electrical tape only blue and with a different adhesive.

jerryv
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby jerryv » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 am

If you're sure you want to go with a solid color, you wouldn't necessarily have to remove all the old paint .. just think of it as primer and sand it to about 320 grit, then paint over it. The only thing you have to worry about is that some combinations won't work .. like if you painted it with enamel and then sprayed lacquer over it ... the lacquer would 'craze' the enamel. As long as your top coat is compatible with the existing finish, just paint over it.

Of course if you want to see the wood's grain, you'd have to remove all the paint...

lefty6string
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: re: Removing Paint - enuff Z Nuff

Postby lefty6string » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:36 pm

jerryv wrote:If you're sure you want to go with a solid color, you wouldn't necessarily have to remove all the old paint .. just think of it as primer and sand it to about 320 grit, then paint over it. The only thing you have to worry about is that some combinations won't work .. like if you painted it with enamel and then sprayed lacquer over it ... the lacquer would 'craze' the enamel. As long as your top coat is compatible with the existing finish, just paint over it.

Of course if you want to see the wood's grain, you'd have to remove all the paint...

Not worried about the grain. Also I am painting it same red I used before. I sanded this afternoon and put a light coat of red. Too cold to do it the right way. This weekend is supposed to be almost 70 degrees F so I am going to apply several coats.

Will post pics when she's done.

one small voice
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby one small voice » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 am

Any update on the finish? I'm curious about the products you're using, and concerned that the issue is not the tape, but the surface being taped.

If your surface prep is good, you used the right primer, allowed the primer to dry completely, the primed surface was free of dirt, dust, oil, etc, and you allowed your base color to dry completely before masking, the frog tape (or blue painter's tape, for that matter) should lift clean.

Was the temperature (wherever you did the spraying) well within the specified range on the product? what was the humidity like? was the paint old or improperly stored?

As far as bleed though, once you shoot your base color and allow it to fully dry:

-put down your masking,

-burnish the edges with your fingernail (gently)

-then shoot one more light coat of your BASE COLOR. this way, any bleed-through will be the same color as the base coat and will not be visible.

-now you can shoot it with your contrasting color (in light, even coats) without fear of bleed through.

J

one small voice
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby one small voice » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:16 am

Another question: did the paint lift from under where the tape was, or from the edge outside of where you wanted the stripe? these are two separate issues.

J

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:40 am

Was not Mr. VH's strips just pin striping ? I remember an issue of guitar player where he applied it. I am not suggesting the op should not paint. Just wondering what Eddie actually used.

one small voice
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby one small voice » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Actually, that sounds right, Tex. Not sure, but seems to me he used black and white electric tape, and white pin-striping tape.

I'm still concerned about why the paint is not adhering to the primer. Something's wrong here. I've seen people remove bumper stickers from guitars without the slightest damage to the paint. Painter's tape uses a low-tack adhesive designed for clean removal with no surface damage.

I'd like to hear Chris' thoughts on the matter. If anyone can help here, he can!

Return to Builder's Forum