Carvin bolt neck on ibanez s series AANJ?

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Totenkampf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Carvin bolt neck on ibanez s series AANJ?

Postby Totenkampf » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:42 am

I am sure this topic has been broached before but my search function is giving me issues ATM. I picked up a super nice Carvin bolt neck in a pawn shop (!) and am getting ideas for a body to match with it. I'm not a big fan of bolt on necks but i thought i would do something special with this one and had some ideas for an 22 fret ibanez sabre (maybe a S670) with the ZR floating bridge. The neck is undrilled, will it fit the AANJ joint or will i need to find a square heel body? If not I guess I wouldnt mind looking around for a Jackson RR3 body in eerie dess or a Charvel fusion body in rainbow crackle! Now i just know one of you will suggest a Carvin bolt body but thats not the direction i am going in...

Totenkampf
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Carvin bolt neck on ibanez s series AANJ?

Postby Totenkampf » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm

unless of course Carvin would update the bolt+ body builder to include choice finishes like a DTS cherry sunburst on quilted maple...i went to the build one last night and they are all meh
Last edited by Totenkampf on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

jerryv
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby jerryv » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:05 pm

I've never used the online ordering .. but you can get a Bolt Plus in any wood and finish you like. You can get the same options in a kit, if you like. Just call and order. The online ordering is nice, but they can't provide every conceivable option there.

Totenkampf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Totenkampf » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 am

NEW OLD NECK DAY!

I got the neck in today - 5 piece maple/walnut bolt on with inline headstock, ebony board, SS XJ frets, 14" radius, undrilled, prepped and complete with FR locking nut, unfinished BON and headstock...overall very nice. My one complaint is the dressing on the fretwire sides, every one sits proud and cuts into my hand so I will have to go back and grind every one down. That was pretty disappointing on a 400$ neck, but to be fair I dont know how old this is...it could have sat in somones unconditioned storage forever and the wood shrank, i can tell the board already needs some oil and the walnut laminates have shrunk in very slightly. i cant complain much though since its almost exactly what i would buy from Carvin new (i prefer the reverse inline HS) and i paid a c-note for it in this unused condition. i didnt even bother to haggle.

i just recalled the charvel fusion is 24.75 scale so i am hoping to find a predator or model 3 in RC or a really pimp jackson RR. I came across a couple other obscure choices like the zion 'technofrost' finish and the kramer 'holocrackle' finish. the latter can be bought new from mean street guitars.

Return to Builder's Forum