Neck through blank angle? + floyd shelf depth question

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Cederick

Neck through blank angle? + floyd shelf depth question

Postby Cederick » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:43 am

I can see that the neck through blank neck has a slight angle to it.

This can be a bit problematic if you wanna do a recessed Floyd Rose build, right?

I don't actually mind a non-recessed floyd, but I wanna know how high the Floyd is gonna be if getting a neck through blank.. I dont want it ten feet in the air from the body, actually, I would much more prefer a dive-only where it can rest against the body (maybe just have to shim up the saddles a bit to get to the right action)

Also, I wonder exactly how deep the Floyd shelf is? I really dont wanna order a floyd shelfed guitar and then have to file down the shelf to get to proper height. I MUCH more prefer to have the shelf a bit too deep from factory, and then just shim it up to proper action

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

re: Neck through blank angle? + floyd shelf depth question

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:58 am

Keep in mind the other aspect of the neck that affects this: the thickness of the fretboard, or more accurately, the distance between the "deck" of the neck-through and the height of the fretboard. I feel like the fretboard doesnt rise up off the body as high as it does on guitars with non-recessed floyds.

Cederick

Postby Cederick » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:38 am

Of course :)

But still doesn't really answer my question.

Do the Floyd have to be non-recessed floating, or will it be just in the right place for dive-only or can I recess it?

I would prefer the latter, but I can definitely think of having a dive-only, but I'm not into non-recessed floating because I feel they are a bit too high for my taste. The diveonly works even if it's higher, because it rests and can't be pushed down.

Cederick

Postby Cederick » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:36 pm

I made a new line on the picture, and now it seems straight :oops:

Stupid me... I really hope it's straight because then I might have to save up for next years home build :mrgreen:

TonyFlyingSquirrel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyFlyingSquirrel » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:36 am

If memory serves, from direct inquiry, Carvin's NT blank does not feature an angled neck.
It is dead straight level as the fingerboard is glued to the same surface extending to the body portion.

Anthony7

Re: Neck through blank angle? + floyd shelf depth question

Postby Anthony7 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 am

On my TL60 it is a straight neck and the fretboard is top is 1/4" above the body (neck-through) surface. Please confirm that is still so, somebody - my TL60 is a '95

If it is 1/4", that is standard like Ibanez, Fender, etc. You should be able to recess a Floyd Rose. You pretty much have to recess a Kahler on it.

Return to Builder's Forum