Build a neck-trough guitar

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Stampe

Build a neck-trough guitar

Postby Stampe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 am

Hi everybody! :D

I’m thincking about buildnig a neck-through guitar with the kiesel NT7 neck, however, when I look at the measurements I see that the necks body is only 1.72” thick and all body blands I can find are 1.75” thick... Have anybody else tried to build with these? If so, how did you solve the problem?
I’m thinging abuot using sandpaper but I’m worried that the surface wont stay sraight and becoming uneven... :think:

/Erik :rockon:

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Build a neck-trough guitar

Postby amon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:13 am

If the wings are significantly thicker than the center block, run them through a planer before gluing them on. 0.03" is a lot to try and sand by hand.

japhy

Postby japhy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:47 pm

Agreed - borrowing a planer is your best bet. If you have a drill press you can also use a Safe-T planer (can’t link from my phone; google it) as a way of thinning it out, though you should be prepared to sand smooth with the Safe-T planer. But having a friend who works for a large roofing/general contractor company and has access to an industrial scale production shop is the best way to go. :wink:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm

japhy wrote:Agreed - borrowing a planer is your best bet. If you have a drill press you can also use a Safe-T planer (can’t link from my phone; google it) as a way of thinning it out, though you should be prepared to sand smooth with the Safe-T planer. But having a friend who works for a large roofing/general contractor company and has access to an industrial scale production shop is the best way to go. :wink:

Drill presses hate lateral pressure, unless it's one of the super high-end ones. At least that's what i learned after trying to use mine as a spindle sander, and having the chuck fly off the quil at 2,300rpms. :shock:

My advise:
#1) Find someone with a thickness planer. note that the biggest ones you can buy at big-box stores would be a Dewalt, and that can only handle 13" wide pieces of wood. Perhaps an issue with a bolt-on, but I suppose for neck-through, they should be well narrower if it's already cut in half.
#2) hand plane. One should learn how to use one anyway. :) Probably 20 mins on each half at the most, and you're done.
#3) Router sled, if you have a router, you could build a simpler version of a router sled. You might need a new router bit designed for this type of cut.
#4) belt sander, and a ton of time and a huge mess of super fine sawdust. Ha!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Maybe do some image carving in the face of it for fun?

One can also build a sled for a circular saw (or use a radial arm saw), and very slowly make cuts to essentially plane stuff. I've done this before, as it was the only method I had. Painfully slow, almost as bad as sanding, but the overall precision is quite good, especially with a radial arm. Those saws are super fun to also pin someone in and play pranks on (oh, wait, wrong area).
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

LB75Player

Postby LB75Player » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Just bear in mind that making them the exact same thickness means you will have to be absolutely perfect during the glue up which can be pretty difficult to do.
LB75, LB75P, Icon 4, AC50, BK40 Fretless Kit, GK1P Kit (Ordered)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Better Caul Saul! ;)

gpbarnett
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby gpbarnett » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:56 pm

I suspect the answer would be no, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if Kiesel can supply wood that is sized properly.

ratpwr69

Postby ratpwr69 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:29 am

This is how you would want the blanks, if you ordered them at 1.72 the chances of them being thinner than the neck would be very high and then you would have to thin the neck body section. I glue he pieces together so that the excess is at the back of the guitar, cut the shape, and then machine the sides even, I have found that a DA sander and some 60 grit works real well and fast if your experienced with one

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu May 03, 2018 3:47 pm

Kiesel sells body blanks. I would call them and see if they can plane them for you.

Return to Builder's Forum