BK40 build

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: BK40 build

Postby Praiser » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:46 am

Such great work going into this build! Truly one of a kind in so many ways and that's exactly as it should be.
Looking forward to the final product.
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

jsiddall

Postby jsiddall » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks everyone for all the kind remarks!

Just finishing things up now. I soldered the pickups, shielding and grounds, glued in the ferrules, countersunk the screw heads on the rear cavity cover, installed the bridge, knobs, Schaller style strap locks and finally the neck. Added a set of DR Black Beauties to finish it off. Here is the rear body:

and one final teaser pic for this thread:

Came in at 4,170 g or 9.2 lb strung up. No featherweight but not bad at all. It is super bright and has lots of sustain. Perfect!

I will post the final pics on a NBD thread as soon as I have some nice photos. I'll also see if I can post a few audio clips at some point.

jsiddall

Postby jsiddall » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:38 am

I wanted a little lower action than I could get with the stock setup so I applied some more poly to the bottom of the pocket and sanded it at an angle so no shims were required. That took some time...

Anyway it is finally finished and I had some time to take some (many) better quality pictures and post them here:

NBD: Spalted Maple and Walnut BK40

Return to Builder's Forum