GK1P Kit - EDIT: Trigger Pulled!

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

LB75Player

GK1P Kit - EDIT: Trigger Pulled!

Postby LB75Player » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:33 pm

So I've been pondering a GK1P kit over the last few days.I'm primarily a bass player but want an electric 6 string to noodle around on at times and as much as I would love a California Carved Top I just can't justify that. Planning on just going with the standard fixed bridge and stock pickups and will be doing a tung oil finish over the whole thing, I have tung oil on 3 of my basses and love it.

Thoughts on the options below?

Black Limba Neck & Body
Birdseye Maple Fretboard
Black Dot Inlays (really wanted offset dots but Keith confirmed on the phone it's not an option on kit necks)
Black Hardware

Bear in mind that this will rarely ever be plugged into an amp, probably a headphone amp at most so I'm not overly concerned with the pickups.
Last edited by LB75Player on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LB75, LB75P, Icon 4, AC50, BK40 Fretless Kit, GK1P Kit (Ordered)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: GK1P Kit - Close to pulling the trigger

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Just HH pickups, or something with single coils?

Hmm...do kits come with SS frets standard now, or still nickel? :think:

LB75Player

Postby LB75Player » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:56 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Just HH pickups, or something with single coils?

Hmm...do kits come with SS frets standard now, or still nickel? :think:

It comes standard with the C22B and C22J pickups. The other options are below but I really know nothing about the difference between them all. As a noodler, I assume I'll be fine with the standard p'ups.

The SS frets are standard now.

camperband
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby camperband » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 pm

If your intention is the get into a cheaper Kiesel price point , I would suggest scouting out a used guitar. Carvins don't hold their value very well. I got an excellent Carbon Bolt for like $450 used. Great deal!

The reason why I say this is because with the kits you are going to have to fully set up the guitar before playing. Meaning: neck bow, saddle height adjustment, intonation, string height. Which, if not properly done, it may detract you from playing the guitar more often. Factory setup from kiesel is usually very good.

Having said that, if you're in it for the process of building it, go ahead. Kits can be as simple or as complicated as you want them to be.

You will be more than fine with the stock pickups, IMHO. I would recommend, instead of that, to upgrade to locking tuners ($30 upgrade). I did not do that and I regret it. Normal tuners are fine, but locking tuners allow for easier string changes plus it should hold in tune a bit better.

My 2 cents. Post pics of you decide to build the kit!

LB75Player

Postby LB75Player » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 pm

camperband wrote:You will be more than fine with the stock pickups, IMHO. I would recommend, instead of that, to upgrade to locking tuners ($30 upgrade). I did not do that and I regret it. Normal tuners are fine, but locking tuners allow for easier string changes plus it should hold in tune a bit better.

My 2 cents. Post pics of you decide to build the kit!

Thanks for the tip on the locking tuners. This will be my second kit, I've done a BK4 bass kit in the past so no issues with the setup.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:28 pm

I believe the Bolt+ always came with locking tuners (the Bolt didn't), or at least did for at least it's last 5+ years, but it's worth double-checking and getting!

LB75Player

Re: GK1P Kit - EDIT: Trigger Pulled!

Postby LB75Player » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Well, I placed the order tonight. Only change to the original specs I posted was I added the H33 pointed headstock 3+3.

According to the product page, the locking tuners are now standard so that was a nice addition I wasn't expecting.

Don
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Don » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:52 am

LB75Player wrote:It comes standard with the C22B and C22J pickups. The other options are below but I really know nothing about the difference between them all. As a noodler, I assume I'll be fine with the standard p'ups.

I love the C22B pickup by itself but put a C22T in my DC150 because I often use both pickups combined and prefer the tonal balance between the C22T and C22J. If the guitar had 2 volume controls (or if I mainly wanted to use the pickups individually) I'd go for the C22B.

Return to Builder's Forum