Drop Fill Help!

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

kadhimj

Drop Fill Help!

Postby kadhimj » Fri May 04, 2018 8:47 am

I just posted this in the Carvin museum, but hoping folks here can help out as well.

Hey Guys! I scored a sweet deal on a 2005 DC127 a few weeks ago. It's pretty flawless except one major chunk of wood was chipped off and glued back on.

I've never cared too much about finish flaws but this one is pretty bad (worse than the pics show) so I was going to take a stab a drop filling. Anyone have experience color matching Carvin Pearl Blue? I was thinking about finding a close enough nail polish. Wouldn't have to be perfect, just better than it's current condition.

Thanks!

5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 UltraV, 1992 DC200 Koa, 1989 UltraV, 1986 V220

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Drop Fill Help!

Postby tbonesullivan » Mon May 07, 2018 1:12 pm

I would look for automotive paint that is the same basic color. That looks like "Cobalt Blue" or something similar.

Before messing with the chip, I would also see if you can make the borders of the chunk less noticeable. Is that glue overflow, or just broken polyester finish? What you can do is get super thin super glue and then use that a bit. It should flow right into the tiny cracks.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

Return to Builder's Forum