Pickups: Carvin vs. Dimarzio

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

FadexToxBlack81

re: Pickups: Carvin vs. Dimarzio

Postby FadexToxBlack81 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:22 pm

thats fair enough man. Would you reccomend it though? I have a dc727 and The Carvin bridge pickup isnt doing it for me at all

metalmachine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metalmachine » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:45 pm

it is like asking which is better jelly or jam..... while they are different they are both darn good on a biscuit...... or mollasses is killer too
i pee on myself when i am happ

AJ6stringsting

Re: Pickups: Carvin vs. Dimarzio

Postby AJ6stringsting » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:59 am

moltar49 wrote:Hey, I'm updating one of my guitars with new pickups and was wondering if anyone had some advice. Right now, I'm leaning torwards either some Dimarzio PAF Pros and/or a Tone Zone in the bridge. After reading some reviews on Carvin's pickups, I'm sort of torn. So here's the realy question: Should I go with Dimarzio or Carvin? If Carvin, any suggestions?

I put a Carvin M22SD in a guitar that was made of semi soft Maple, instead of my usual Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge. To me the M22SD was far better than the Evolution. The M22SD picks up harmonics much better than the EVO.

LeftyJay
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby LeftyJay » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:48 am

Wow, we revived this thread from the dead not once but twice! :laughhard:

Roy Munson
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: Pickups: Carvin vs. Dimarzio

Postby Roy Munson » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:29 am

LeftyJay wrote:Wow, we revived this thread from the dead not once but twice! :laughhard:

It lives :ninja: :applause:

raven999
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Location: 'Zoo City, Montana: Land of Rocks, Pine trees, and Grizzly bears.

Postby raven999 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:06 pm

I've used DiMarzios in about 80% of my guitars over the years, PAF/Super Distortions, but I've had SD Jazz/JB sets, and some Gibby original PAF's(1960/61). I like the Carvin pups better, for all around sound. They have the same punch as the DiMarzios, but more clarity and harmonics.

I wonder how long this thread will take to finally RIP...? :mrgreen:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:07 am

I seem to remember a recent thread where somebody tried swapping a C22B with a DiMarzio Breed and found that they sounded exactly the same (to his ears, anyway). 8)

Kyle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Kyle » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:05 pm

ElfDude wrote:I seem to remember a recent thread where somebody tried swapping a C22B with a DiMarzio Breed and found that they sounded exactly the same (to his ears, anyway). 8)

This is more likely a of tweaking the amp to retrieve the sound I would think (even when changing things we try to dial in the sound we are used to) the EQ response of the pickups is quite different if you go by their respective sites. (Breed is mid spiked, C22 is Mid scooped)

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Kyle wrote:
ElfDude wrote:I seem to remember a recent thread where somebody tried swapping a C22B with a DiMarzio Breed and found that they sounded exactly the same (to his ears, anyway). 8)

This is more likely a of tweaking the amp to retrieve the sound I would think (even when changing things we try to dial in the sound we are used to) the EQ response of the pickups is quite different if you go by their respective sites. (Breed is mid spiked, C22 is Mid scooped)

Ah. Here's the thread I remember. Three people there agree that the Breed and the C22B sound the same. I have no personal experience with the Breed so I can't offer an opinion.

arellanon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby arellanon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:18 pm

ElfDude wrote:
Kyle wrote:

Ah. Here's the thread I remember. Three people there agree that the Breed and the C22B sound the same. I have no personal experience with the Breed so I can't offer an opinion.

Interesting interesting. The Breed huh? Never tried the Breed nor the C22B. I wonder how a PAF Pro in the neck and a Double Whammy will sound in my all maple ST300. I still have those laying around and never got around to placing them in the guitar; the M22V/M22SD set I have on it sounds too good!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:42 pm

We have also heard the opinion that the M22T sounds a lot like the Dimarzio FRED.

raven999
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Location: 'Zoo City, Montana: Land of Rocks, Pine trees, and Grizzly bears.

Postby raven999 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 pm

I don't know about the Fred, but it reminds me of the Super Distortion 3, cause of the highs

twilightdusk
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby twilightdusk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:06 pm

ElfDude wrote:We have also heard the opinion that the M22T sounds a lot like the Dimarzio FRED.

Hmm this I might have to explore on my bolt kit; I have an Ibanez with a FRED in it.

I suppose I'll have to if they won't come out with P90s :|

AJ6stringsting

Postby AJ6stringsting » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:06 am

I guess this thread is like a cock roach that won't die !!!! :lol: :think: :soapbox:

edtemple

Postby edtemple » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Hello, thread that will not die!

I have been sticking a Dimarzio Dual Humbucker (which I hear is similar to the Super Distortion) in all my guitars since sometime in the 1980s, and would like to give Carvin a try... I had a V220 back in the 80s, and I'm pretty sure I liked the sound, but it's been so long I can't really remember. I bought a Dean Vendetta XM, and I want to get it to sound similar to my Strat with the Dimarzio DH. Any ideas? Thank you!

Ed
edtemple.com

one small voice
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby one small voice » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:17 pm

Ed- are the pickups in your Strat the stock single coils, or is it a "Fat Strat" with a bridge humbucker? Do you know what kind of magnets are in the Strat? AlNiCo is generally used in the American made Fender Strats, most Mexican, Asian, and Squire Strats use ferrite or ceramic magnets.

In my opinion it's hard to get a decent single coil sound out of a humbucking pickup. Are you planning on selling your Strat? if not, you might want to explore some other options so you have more sounds available to you- why have two guitars that sound the same? Do you want it to sound as close to the Strat as possible, or are there certain qualities in the sound of the Strat that you're looking for? If so, are there any particular recorded examples of the sound you're going for?

There are lots of really great ears on this forum, the more information you give us, the more we have to work with to help you find the sound you want. Understand that you're talking about spending more on pickups than the value of the guitar, and that pickups are only one factor in the sound. My strong recommendation would be to spend a few more bucks and get a Bolt kit (or a Bolt+ if you want the humbuckers) and do the finishing and assembly yourself. You'll end up with a high quality instrument you can be proud of, rather than throwing good money after bad.

edtemple

Postby edtemple » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi OSV!

Thank you for the reply...

Actually, the Strat also now has the Dimarzio Dual Humbucker in the bridge position, and Dimarzio HS2s in the middle and neck position. Like I said, the DDH is the pup I put in everything that needs a pup replaced. It also has a Fishman PowerBridge for acoustic sounds. I'd like the cheapo Dean to sound similar because its single solitary function is as a backup on stage in case I break a string or if the battery fails on the Strat. The Dean plays just fine, I just wanna get it to sound similar as to not freak out the sound engineers. [grin]

I remember liking the sound of Carvin guitars, and I remember liking the pickups as well. Is there a Carvin humbucker that sounds similar to the DDH?

Thanks again!

[et]

RPLong
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RPLong » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:27 pm

IMHO, Carvin and Dimarzio pickups both have a signature brand tone. I don't like the Dimarzio sound. Carvin's pickups aren't perfect, but I find I can get much more out of them than I can with anything short of actual boutique pickups.

It's way too personal to recommend anything, though. One of the best humbucking pickups I've ever played is a Bill Lawrence L-500R (not L, not XL... R!) If you're into pickups with a large frequency spectrum and a good level of output, give Bill & Becky a call.

If you just want something tasty at a low price, though, I like Carvins better than GFSs or Dimarzios.

Just my opinion! :soapbox:

shred meister
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby shred meister » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:06 pm

This might have been me ,I had a c22b in tha bridge of my bolt plus and had a breed in my other bolt plus and could not tell the difference if I remember correctly.
both had the same woods and floyd rose bridge.

AJ6stringsting

Postby AJ6stringsting » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Here's the tone guide for all Carvin Pick ups. I'm not loyal to one brand of pick up,
I own : Dimarzio Evolutions: Fast Track 1's and 2's and X2N's .
Seymour Duncan : Pearly Gates, Dime Bucker, Screamin' Demon .
Bill Lawrence : L-250's, XL-500
Dragon Fire : Hot Rails, Screamer, Texas Blues set, Dragon Fire Active Set (Kicks EMG's butts)
GFS ; Lil' Killers, Over Wound Fat Pats.
and to me the best bridge pick up that beat out the Dimarzio Evolution .... the M22SD.
Here's a chart of all the Carvin line of pick ups.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/pickups/

Read the specs :D

Return to Builder's Forum