What Overdrive/Distortion Pedals are you Rockin' with your Kiesel/Carvin guitar?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: What Overdrive/Distortion Pedals are you Rockin' with your Kiesel/Carvin guitar?

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:09 pm

I have 3 drive pedals

JHS The AT (lead)
KS808, Kelly Simonz signature 808 clone (lead boost)
Vero City Rev F clone pedal (rhythm)
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Wilso

Re: What Overdrive/Distortion Pedals are you Rockin' with your Kiesel/Carvin guitar?

Postby Wilso » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am

I run an MXR Custom Comp Deluxe pretty much with all knobs dimed inro a Digitech Hardwire Sc-2 Valve Distortion through a lightly distorted Carvin VT-50 (Nomad) head that has the Hasserl Mods. That amp is super sick and a lot of the time I will just use the distortion on that. The compressor through the hardwide pedal through a lightly distorted amp is just my super distortion sound. With enough distortion, compressor and just a tad of delay, you basically can not hit wrong notes while playing fast because no one would ever here it if you you play enough notes :D
I attached photos for reference.
20170423_103737 Resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[img]IMG_20170514_122451_210[/img]

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:01 pm

I've had several pedals over the years. My first ones were Ibanez soundtanks - a Powerlead and Thrash Metal. I also had a DOD pedal but I don't remember which one it was Those were used when I was a teenager and couldn't afford a decent amp. I do wish I still had the Thrash Metal, I remember it sounding pretty good.

Now I use a Tube Screamer TS-808 reissue. I use it with my Marshall DSL15H when I need that extra bit of push on the clean channel.

And all this is rockin' with my Carvin CS6.

toolmanny
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby toolmanny » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 pm

I just got the Egnator "Black Metal" and the Mesa "throttle Box". They are both really good imo, a little pricey
but I much better than the other $30 pedals I have so screw it
2016 Kiesel DC600T (Satin Blue Denim Flame-Yellow burst)
2012 Carvin Ultra V (Gloss Moss Green Flame)
2011 Carvin ST300T (Satin Teal Flame-Black burst)
2008 Schecter Tempest Classic (Faded Cherry Sunburst)
Orange Crush 35RT
Fender Frontman 25r (Texas Red)

CruzinLow

Postby CruzinLow » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:19 am

spudmunkey wrote:
CruzinLow wrote:I can't get enough of those little Hotone pedals...

Do you say "HOE-tone" or "HOT one"? :)

Oh, and someday I'll finish getting my old Ibanez Soundtank Powerlead re-housed in an aluminum enclosure. I've got all the parts, I just haven't found the time.

It's HOT TONE

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 am

If they wanted us to pronounce it with a short "O" instead of a long "O", they should have used two Ts.

tg1

Postby tg1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:34 pm

...and here you have the answer, guys:
https://youtu.be/37tQDlKzU6k?t=31

;)

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:31 pm

I just recently got a JHS Sweet Tea and that's my new favorite pedal. It's two pedals in one-an Angry Charlie and a Moonshine, and you can stack them in whatever order you want with the flip of a switch. I've been playing my DC145 and running this pedal in front of my Quilter 101 Mini Head, which is connected to my Legacy II 2 x 12 with Vintage 30's, and it's just awesome. This is probably the best dirty tone I've ever had. Who says you need tubes to sound good?
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:53 am

2Plus2isChicken wrote: Who says you need tubes to sound good?

People with limited exposure to variegated equipment (and people whose bias limits their exposure to anything but tubes). I've seen dudes in the early 90's an emergency do killer gigs with just an old Tom Scholz Rockman between themselves and a cabinet -----------> PA.

I'm basically a tube guy because I like the warmth and thick 3D quality of them, but it certainly doesn't own the concept of a great guitar sound, not even close! :naughty:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:04 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
2Plus2isChicken wrote: Who says you need tubes to sound good?

People with limited exposure to variegated equipment (and people whose bias limits their exposure to anything but tubes). I've seen dudes in the early 90's an emergency do killer gigs with just an old Tom Scholz Rockman between themselves and a cabinet -----------> PA.

I'm basically a tube guy because I like the warmth and thick 3D quality of them, but it certainly doesn't own the concept of a great guitar sound, not even close! :naughty:

What I find interesting is that, while most guitarists lean toward tube amps (I do, too), many of them use pedals that are mostly, if not entirely, transistor based.

Not to derail, but I have zero quarrel with solid-state amps, if done right. I've heard bad tube and transistor amps, plenty of good, and a few stellar examples of each. I wonder if anyone has done an analog amp that uses a transistor pre section, and tube power section, if that would even matter. I know most designs are the opposite, with Line6 and Peavey had modeler preamps with tube power amps in a couple of their combo models.

Oh, the English Muff'n is entirely tube based, and essentially a bassman style tonestack (slightly different), and was not the most pleasant through the input of an amp. It was more of a preamp in itself, and worked well going into a power amp. It sounded darn good in that application.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Plus there's SO many flat out awful sounding tube amps... Flat, fizzy, flabby and totally uninspiring.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:30 pm

When it comes to tone I think more people should use their ears before considering what's inside the equipment that generates the tone. There are some solid state amps that are as noteworthy as many tube amps. The Quilter stuff is one example, but you've also got B. B. King's Lab Series, the Peavey XXL (which was a monster amp that should be sold again), the Roland JC-120, Peavey Bandit 112 (the old 1990s version, which was a great practice amp; my brother had one), etc. My old Fender Ultimate Chorus was a solid state and it sounded pretty good. The sound you hear is a product of your playing technique and the components of your guitar, pedalboard and amp and all the cables that connect them. If you have bad tone then one of these things has a problem, and it has nothing to do with tubes vs. transistors. It's just a matter of good and bad tone.

I hear people say this or that pedal sounds "tube-like" or this or that Axe-FX patch sounds "tube-like", but does it sound good? That's all I care about.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby hallwayminstrel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 am

I have a bunch of Digitech dirt pedals of various types and levels of brootality :twisted: . And the RP500 also.

After the V3M, and buying a bunch of effects pedals, the RP500 went into the storeroom. I still use the gain-y pedals when I'm playing on the low-watt single-channel tube amps.

For distortion, the V3M alone doesn't need a dirt pedal. Otherwise, I'll use a dirt pedal on a lower-watt tube amp that's already set to the edge of breakup. Then kick the pedal on to push it over the top.

I think of the tube amp as being the cake, and the pedal as the icing. They both go good together.
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:38 am

2Plus2isChicken wrote:When it comes to tone I think more people should use their ears before considering what's inside the equipment that generates the tone. There are some solid state amps that are as noteworthy as many tube amps. The Quilter stuff is one example, but you've also got B. B. King's Lab Series, the Peavey XXL (which was a monster amp that should be sold again), the Roland JC-120, Peavey Bandit 112 (the old 1990s version, which was a great practice amp; my brother had one), etc. My old Fender Ultimate Chorus was a solid state and it sounded pretty good. The sound you hear is a product of your playing technique and the components of your guitar, pedalboard and amp and all the cables that connect them. If you have bad tone then one of these things has a problem, and it has nothing to do with tubes vs. transistors. It's just a matter of good and bad tone.

I hear people say this or that pedal sounds "tube-like" or this or that Axe-FX patch sounds "tube-like", but does it sound good? That's all I care about.

I keep hearing that of the XXL. I've tried the Bandit of various models, JC-120 and 50 models, even various Crate solid states (that used 4558 op-amps and varying types of output transistors) and didn't mind any of them. However, I've really come to love the ISP stuff. Better sounding cleans to me than a Roland JC amp, and the distortion on the lower end is so close to a JCM800 that I wouldn't be able to differentiate in a blind test. Turn up the gain, and it turns into basically whatever type of high gain amp one wants.

Interestingly, ISP went with NE5532 op-amps in their Waller line (it's a very good hi-fi style chip) and their Theta switched to JFET op-amps, and I don't think it made much of a difference. Cleans are right what I want, and I've run the Theta clean in front of my V16 combo to give it a little extra harmonic content (some might call it "sparkle") because of how that pedal operates. It even does a mild breakup, which seems to be the hallmark of any good amp. Then crank it into oblivion as far as distortion goes. That is the one pedal that keeps impressing me every time I use it.

I had thought about selling it off when I got the Atomic Amplifire, because that thing sounds insanely good, but I have not yet tweaked it to sound like what I get out of the Theta. If I do figure it out, I'll bench/sell the Theta, but in the meantime, the Amplifire stays as my practice/tweak tool.

For what it's worth, the V3m I had really did match the Theta in terms of all out gain, though the amp was fizzy in comparison, and felt like it was on the ragged edge of usability. The Theta did not feel unusable with the distortion maxed out, being pushed by the preamp section, which was also maxed. Just remember to use the noise gate.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Other Gear