Set Neck Fender Stratocaster

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Set Neck Fender Stratocaster

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:32 am

Curious if anyone has played one of these. After seeing that sweet double buckered GH3 in GIS, I started googling superstrats and on a lark googled a "set neck stratocaster" to see if one was ever made.

And predictably, one was made. The year I'm mostly seeing is 1992--and they cost a bit more than your usual American Standard Strat from the same year. Here's one from Verbo-land:

neck joint:

So with the maple top (which itself is not all that unique in Stratland), glue in neck joint, and either an ash or mahogany (!) body, you had the option to go all the way into Gibson territory with your Fender Strat.

Anyone have any experience with this thing and can testify to the sound on it vs the the bolt on slab bodied traditional Strat?

(And naturally, if they did this with a strat, then surely they did the same thing with the Tele right? Yes..
)
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Set Neck Fender Stratocaster

Postby amon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:01 am

I once played a neck-through Fender Strat. It had the tight neck heel like a DC127, but was otherwise just a standard Strat in Mary Kay White — Pickguard, crappy trem, crappy tuners, string trees, etc. Fender Custom is weird.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:09 am

Years ago I played a couple flame and quilt maple top Showmasters. I believe they had set necks. What really got me was it's the first time I ever played a guitar with Pearly Gates pickups.

I'm not sure what wood was used for the body/neck.

Now my memory isn't what it used to be but I recall it sounding nothing like any Fender I've played before. It had a thick and somewhat warm sound. Blame it on the tonewood, pickups, construction, etc., but it was certainly different. I liked it a lot and still think of buying one someday. It was one of those guitars that left a lasting impression on me.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:32 pm

A cheaper alternative would be the Squier Stagemaster deluxe models from the late 90s to early 00s. Neck-thru, 25.5" scale, 12" radius, I believe, with double-locking setup. Great guitars, not quite set neck, but similar vein.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Other Gear