Amp collection?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

kmd09
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Amp collection?

Postby kmd09 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 pm

HarlowTheFish - What do you think of the H&K GM Deluxe 40? I thought I had my amp collection done for awhile but I've been intrigued by it. Also, any idea how it compares to the GM Deluxe 36, another possibility? I was going to add a couple of guitars I've always wanted to my collection, a Tele and a Les Paul, but the H&Ks are inexpensive enough I may add one now.
AC375 V49K CT624 CS624 SH575 CM130
GIBSON LES PAUL TRAD. PRS SE245 FENDER STRAT
MARTIN D35 TACOMA DM-18
V3 1/2 STACK X100B AG100D BX700 BXR10.2 BXR15.3
MARSHALL JVM 100H SPLAWN QUICKROD 100 ORANGE ROCKERVERB MKII 100 PRS ARCHON
MESA TRIPLE REC DR. Z CARMEN GHIA (2x12" CAB) BOSS KATANA 100

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 am

kmd09 wrote:HarlowTheFish - What do you think of the H&K GM Deluxe 40? I thought I had my amp collection done for awhile but I've been intrigued by it. Also, any idea how it compares to the GM Deluxe 36, another possibility? I was going to add a couple of guitars I've always wanted to my collection, a Tele and a Les Paul, but the H&Ks are inexpensive enough I may add one now.

Well, it's an EL84 amp, so don't expect a big bottle sound out of it.
The Clean channel is sort of a hybrid Fendery-Voxy sound, with a pretty broad but not significant dip in the midrange, a pretty articulate bass, and a sparkly but not pokey treble. You can give it more gain and add the boost for some pretty solid blues and even rock tones (I use the Clean with the EQ and Gain maxed like an old Marshall to play Green Day).
The Crunch is more Voxy than Marshally, despite their marketing materials. It can get really clean with the gain low, but if you crank it it will easily do Iron Maiden. It's got a pretty snarly midrange that can get honky if you crank it, but stays usable throughout the range of the EQ knobs as long as you manage your Treble and Presence to keep it from getting fizzy.
The Lead channel is sorta generic-brown-sound-y, but I actually really appreciate that. It's really transparent, so different guitars will sound really different, and it lets you dial in a really wide variety of tones, characters, and responses by balancing the BMT pre-eq and the Presence and Resonance and adding the boost. This channel also works really well if you set the power soak to no volume, crank the channel and master volumes, and use it as a single-channel non-master-volume amp.
The Ultra channel is where I spend most of my time, and it's definitely more Mesa voiced. The marketing materials all seem to imply that they voiced it after a Rectifier, but it reminds me a lot more of the old Mesa Nomads. It's a pretty big-sounding, hifi kinda voicing, with an even midrange, and extended treble and bass. It can definitely get both boomy and fizzy, you just need to balance it well with the EQ and gain - kinda like an actual Mesa, which is neat but a little obnoxious. Between 7 o'clock and 12 o'clock, the gain will just add saturation, so you can get a pretty distorted but really dry sound ala Fryette/VHT or some of the Diezel stuff (can confirm the former but no experience with the latter, just what I hear on demos) or something like the Petrucci lead tone. Below 7 o'clock, you can get mostly clean sounds, and above 12 is just nuts and I don't really have a use for it but it's fun to crank the gain and play Metallica.
It's a really solid amp - I really like the H&K voicing, and this really covers all the ground I'd need from jazz to death metal and literally everything in between. If you're getting it to be a small version of your Fender/Vox/Marshall/Mesa amp, you're gonna be disappointed. It's definitely inspired by those things, but it doesn't really sound like them. If you're not an EL84 guy, you might also be disappointed with it - EL84s are EL84s are EL84s, and they sound like it: snarly midrange, lean bass, and really aggressive top end. Here's the thing though: it sits really well in a mix because of all those things. You just have to approach it on its own terms. Their manual is pretty comprehensive, and because the channels are designed based on Fender/Vox/whatever amps, you can basically lift settings from them and they'll sound OK with a little bit of adjustment. I really recommend the settings from the Mesa JP-2C for the Ultra Channel, they sound killer. Overall, I really like it. It's a little annoying sometimes, but it really lets me find my sound, and sits in a mix with basically no post EQ or anything, and the cab sim is actually really good.

As far as comparing it to the 36, the 40 is the one to get. The 36 had some compression issues with higher gain that made it kinda farty with palm mutes IMO and was waaaaaaaaay too fizzy. You'll also notice that I don't use half the gain on the Ultra channel on the 40, and they had to rework that because the 36 had too much unusable gain. They're not even that different sounding or anything, the 40's just the objectively superior option as far as practical applications goes and has a much better cab sim (Redbox AE instead of the non-AE, has more options and can be turned off to use IRs in your DAW.

I also recommend taking a look at the Black Spirit 200 they just put out, because it's basically the same thing but solid-state, with more options, and a few hundred bucks cheaper ($879 vs $1299). Keep in mind you'll need some kinda MIDI controller for footswitching. I recommend the H&K one or one of the Rocktron ones that support 7-pin MIDI so you can power it via the amp and don't need a power cable running to your footswitch.

:hijack:
dammit i did it again
sorry guys

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:39 pm

ultraVpilot wrote:Very cool.

Let's talk about that Duel. I almost nabbed one for cheap but someone got there first and immediately turned it out on eBay for thrice what he paid.

The Duel is what I'd call Peavey's answer to a Twin Reverb and JCM 800, rolled into one ungodly heavy, and loud, combo.

The speakers are custom pieces from Eminence, very similar in build to their stamped-frame Delta 12A, and with some other mixtures in place, but it's a pretty flat-response speaker.

The amp itself is 120W, and mine has rattled the windows at 1. The cleans are very clean, and it sounds like a Twin, but with more EQ flexibility.

The Reverb/Tremolo are better than the Twin. The reverb is deeper, richer, and the tremolo is the best I've heard in an amp (including my old Gibson, which is a favorite). Both also have greater adjustment range than a Twin.

The gain channel is reminiscent of a JCM800, with kind of a 5150-esque EQ curve. It's similar, but not quite the same, and sounds excellent. Throw a dirt pedal in front, and it gets heavy, very fast.

It has options a plenty for being a mid 90s "classic series" amp. FX loop is switchable.

The only reason I wouldn't keep it is that I have the Twin, which was left to me by my late father. The Jackson JG2 is a favored amp for higher gain stuff, so I rarely break the Peavey out. Also, it's too loud for home use in my opinion. More efficient speakers would make it even better, as the stock units, while good, aren't the most efficient they could be. The amp still has plenty of volume.

The biggest downside is having to lift it; one handle, and 92 pounds according to my scale. If you don't mind the weight (most are on casters), then it's a killer amp to buy. It is a fixed-bias design, so when swapping tubes, be sure that they're in the proper range. Mine has some Sovteks that are running pretty cold, but sound fine.

Overall, the thing's a sleeper, and I'm surprised they haven't gained more of a following. If I needed something that loud, I wouldn't hesitate, but the need just isn't there. Heck, the only reason the Twin is around is for the occasional playing and intrinsic reasons, which is silly. If you can find a Duel for a good price (I'd say $400 with the foot pedal is reasonable), snag it. I'd shy away from the super-cheap ones as I've seen a few that were severely beat-up, and missing the foot pedal, which I believe is specific.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ultraVpilot
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ultraVpilot » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm guessing you're more than a stone's throw from here.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:36 pm

That depends on how far you can throw a stone..... however, I'll send you a PM and we can talk more about it, instead of cluttering this thread up.

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 pm

I've culled the amp herd down to a Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25 and a Traynor SB200H.

ultraVpilot
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ultraVpilot » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Forgot my little Vox DA5.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:02 pm

I junked an old Peavey last week, and am happily down to my vintage 6l6 X100b combo, and the Carr Mercury V.

And want for nothing at all. :mrgreen:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I junked an old Peavey last week, and am happily down to my vintage 6l6 X100b combo, and the Carr Mercury V.

And want for nothing at all. :mrgreen:

You should've sent it my way. I would've gladly modified/frankensteined it.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:55 pm

I guess I should have said something. It wasn't much though... Solid state bit, boring and fizzy.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:14 pm

No matter. I would've played with it, too. I've heard plenty of good solid-state stuff, and plenty of bad. Surprisingly, the preamps weren't so much the issue, but usually the output section would distort badly, and the amps were paired with bad speakers.

Peavey normally did solid-state things justice, but would pair them with a cheap cabinet/speaker that would hamstring the product. I've seen this across the board. Pair a good solid-state design with a good speaker and cabinet, it'll sound very, very good.

If you ever get a chance, check out ISP, or (if you can find one) Waller amps. The cleans are fantastic, and they do distortion as good as a tube amp. I had a Waller DFX-60, and it was so-so with the stock speaker. Dropping in a Mesa MC-90 provided a huge improvement, and that amp gave my Jackson a run for its money through the same speaker/cab.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:44 am

Doctor Turn wrote:And want for nothing at all. :mrgreen:

That's a great feeling, isn't it? 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 am

It really really is. Would I throw a Fender Twin (or a Hot Rod D) out of bed for leaving cookie crumbs? Absolutely not... but really, these two amps straddle both worlds of British/Marshall (the Merc) and American/Fender (the Carvin 6L6 cleans) quite nicely, and fill in all the blanks in between I could ever need.

Guitars are another story. For some reason having to do strictly with craving and satisfying an itch for the sake of itself, I have got to have a LP standard or Custom wired to 59 spec, with authentic PAF types, even though I have so many gorgeous double PAF LP/LP types/etc that do vintage Gibson to the T, and far far better than modern Gibson LPs (at least non-CS, production line Gibson).

And a Tele. Not sure which is next.

So my work in that dept isn't done.

Also wouldn't mind a vintage Acoustic Black Widow.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:49 pm

My question is this:

Are you *able* to throw a twin out of bed for leaving cookie crumbs?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:36 pm

At certain times of the night, the testosterone really surges . . . .
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:45 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:My question is this:

Yes. . .

. . . by pushing it off the side after I dislodge it from my ruined ribcage because I dropped it on myself the first time I tried lifting it.

Rest in peace, everyone who's ever dropped a twin on their foot.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:45 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:

Yes. . .

. . . by pushing it off the side after I dislodge it from my ruined ribcage because I dropped it on myself the first time I tried lifting it.

Meanwhile, in some dark corner of the world, a person attempts to use one as a boombox.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:52 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:

Yes. . .

Meanwhile, in some dark corner of the world, a person attempts to use one as a boombox.

*camera pans out and shows that man is in fact 8' tall and more ripped than John Cena*

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Nah. I'm 6'3", 220 pounds. I could stand to lose 20 of it.

kmd09
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kmd09 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:35 pm

Since my original post I have added a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia and matching 2X12" cab and added a new head shell for my Mesa Triple Rec.
DSCN2400.JPG

DSCN2453.JPG

DSCN2238.JPG

DSCN2298.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AC375 V49K CT624 CS624 SH575 CM130
GIBSON LES PAUL TRAD. PRS SE245 FENDER STRAT
MARTIN D35 TACOMA DM-18
V3 1/2 STACK X100B AG100D BX700 BXR10.2 BXR15.3
MARSHALL JVM 100H SPLAWN QUICKROD 100 ORANGE ROCKERVERB MKII 100 PRS ARCHON
MESA TRIPLE REC DR. Z CARMEN GHIA (2x12" CAB) BOSS KATANA 100

Return to Other Gear