Are Schecter Guitars a Good Deal?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

SilkyHotLicks
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Are Schecter Guitars a Good Deal?

Postby SilkyHotLicks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:51 am

I'm considering buying a Schecter Banshee Extreme 7 to get an HSS 7 string in my collection. Are they any good? I can get the guitar plus all of the standard accessories (strap, strap lock, mogami cable, strings, tuner/metronome, gig bag) for $800.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Are Schecter Guitars a Good Deal?

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:33 am

Price doesn't seem great. It seems like you'd be playing $200-300 for the accessories, based on a 10 second Google search:
https://m.samash.com/banshee-7-extreme- ... gJBHfD_BwE

Schecter has come a long way in their production models. For my personal tastes, the was a schecter that was the best playing and feeling guitar in my local guitar center for like 2 years and it was $800. That said, they still make some lower end models, and their USA shop is well respected.

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 am

As far as imports go, the sub-$500 Schecter stuff is solid, but nothing magic. Starting with the Sun Valley Super Shredder line and up, they've been IME consistently really nice-playing guitars that sound good and just need a setup because Guitar Center. The $1000+ stuff has some really cool features too. If you're getting a Banshee Extreme for $800, consider picking up the Sun Valley Super Shredder 7 III (that's. . . that's a name) for a little more ($879 or so, I think): HSS, 7-string, their hot-rod Floyd with stainless steel parts, EMG retroactives, and some of the coolest finishes on any production guitar IMO.

I've played a couple of their US guitars and I like them more than Suhrs: same kinda build quality but better neck shapes IMO. Top notch instruments.

SilkyHotLicks
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby SilkyHotLicks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:58 am

So here is the cost breakdown.

Schecter Banshee Extreme 7 Electric Guitar, 7-String (New, Charcoal Burst) - $579.00
    Schecter Gig Bag for Diamond-Series Guitars (New) - $49.00
    Dean Markley Blue Steel 7-String Electric Guitar String Pack x 2 - $11.90
    Mogami CorePlus TS Instrument Cable (New, 20') - $39.95
    Franklin 3" Tooled Leather Guitar Strap (New, Black) - $59.99
    Dunlop Dual Design Straplok System (New, Black Oxide) - $13.95
    Boss TU-30 Metronome and Tuner (New) - $29.99
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total - $783.78
Still, I'll most likely buy a Delos 7X. Thanks for the comments! 8)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:11 am

If you actually want that tuner, strap and cable, then it's kind of like a k series or the old dc400w which came with bundles extras...then it's an Ok price. Delos starts at 1109 with a case, so its not a small jump.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:36 pm

I've considered a C-7 as my first 7-string since it's cheap, but I'm not really into the aesthetic of Schecter's guitars. That one is ok, but it's the only guitar they make I've seen that isn't named like they're naming a death metal band.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Any Schecter I've tried (mostly in the "C1" shape) have slightly chunkier necks than a Carvin/Kiesel. Their set-neck heel is excellent, even on the cheaper models, and some are neck-thru. I've not run across a USA Schecter to try; my experience is limited to various years of the overseas Diamond series.

The fit and finish seems solid, and I owned a C1 E/A for a while. Sounded/played very well, though I didn't like the sharper edge of the body (semi-hollow). If a Strat style is desired, and only new is the option, yeah, I'd second the Delos.

If used is an option, finding a used Bolt, or even Contour 66, is easy. Every Carvin bolt neck design I've come across (all modern 90s and newer) have had very tight, exact neck joints, and their stability is excellent.

The other option might be an Ibanez, though their neck profiles (particularly Wizard types) are a bit slender for my big ol' paws, but they play well.

Jackson would be another option, and their necks are extremely close in shape. A higher end import Dean could also work.

So many options exist, it's a wonder one doesn't have option paralysis.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:46 pm

I still have 2 C-1 A-Es. One with frets and SD P-Rails, one without frets but with stock Jazz and JBs. I had to try it. Both have the Ghost piezo. For as cheap as they were new, they feel good, play well enough and look decent. But I'd rather have a Kiesel SH7 which they axed. Couldn't decide how to build it out and if I wanted to spend the money. My loss.

I wouldn't buy a Schecter again because there is better stuff out there but they're good enough that I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one because there's also worse out there. They just sit in that "everyone can afford it" segment and the end product fits the category.

SilkyHotLicks
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby SilkyHotLicks » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:25 pm

X1Glider wrote:"...But I'd rather have a Kiesel SH7 which they axed. Couldn't decide how to build it out and if I wanted to spend the money. My loss.

I know. They introduced and then killed the SH7 so fast that sales data could not have been amassed. But, I managed to get my build in, which was one of their last builds. This is Purple Elegance.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:28 pm

SilkyHotLicks wrote:
X1Glider wrote:"...But I'd rather have a Kiesel SH7 which they axed. Couldn't decide how to build it out and if I wanted to spend the money. My loss.

I know. They introduced and then killed the SH7 so fast that sales data could not have been amassed.

Yeah, it shared the same short life as the HH7, JB207, X227, UltraV7 and BC130. Glad the SH6 is still around, but would have loved to have seen more SH7s with the newer direct mount covered pickups.

Anomalocaria

Postby Anomalocaria » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 pm

i don't know about the Banshee Extreme 7 or Schecters in general, but i'm happy with my Schecter. i've got a Schecter Banshee Elite 7 fr s, and it's probably one of my favorite guitars at the moment. it's my first fr guitar, so i still really don't know what i'm doing with that thing, but i've gotten some decent use out of the sustainiac bridge. it's an absolute battery hog though, and it can be kind of a nightmare if you're switching between active and passive pickups. it's also a touch more expensive than the Banshee Extreme 7. their ultra thin neck profiles are also great for my tiny expletive hands.

Bassist4Eris
Links/Contact:

Postby Bassist4Eris » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:24 am

I've got a Schecter Stiletto Studio-8. It's an 8-string bass (octave courses). Fit and finish are quite good. It seems pretty playable, but I've never played another 8-string to compare it to. I'm not crazy about its midrangey, honky tone, but I'm told that's the nature of the 8-string beast. I usually get compliments on the sound when I bring it to a gig.

The instrument arrived with a frozen truss rod, which I was able to correct with a drop of WD-40 on the end of a toothpick. It has not given me trouble since (maybe six years now). The neck has developed a very slight twist which thus far has not affected playability. The neck dive is atrocious but that's probably to be expected with eight tuners on the headstock. I'm not a fan of the bridge design, but the 8-string has a totally different bridge than the standard Schecters.

Overall, I think it's a decent instrument for the money.

Aesthetically, it's a cool, classy instrument that doesn't look out of place on stage next to my LB76W.

Gig rig.JPG

Jezebel resized.jpg

uneven steven 10 30 15.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Main bass: LB76W. Also have an LB76 and BK40A.
Live rig: BX500 head into a pair of BRX10.2 cabs, oriented vertically.

Return to Other Gear