Fuuzztration anyone?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fuuzztration anyone?

Postby maxpower » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:38 pm

I have always used the gain/distortion of my amp, as opposed to pedals. More recently I purchased a few overdrive type pedals to see what they are all about. I have an OCD and Tumnus Deluxe. I like both but use them as a cleanish type boost. I can't get the OCD completely clean but that is fine.

I finally decided to get a fuzz pedal and decided on the Fuzztration after reading reviews and watching demos.

I normally keep the clean channel on my amp with more bass and high end than the dirty channels. When I engage the Fuzztraion, in front of the clean channel, it is very fat sounding. I tried turning down the bass on it but it still is too much (for me). It gets rid of the bass but the low end is very undefined and still fat sounding. Maybe that is how fuzz pedals are supposed to sound?

The best way to use it for me is in front of my dirty channel but with the guitar volume down. This works out pretty good.

Are fuzz pedals supposed to be so fat and mushy in the low end? This pedal has that and then some.

This is my first fuzz and first octave up (not digital) pedal. I really like the octave feature of the pedal.

Do you have a Fuzztration? What use case works best for you?
CT4M, DC127, CL7, Delos 6X

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Fuuzztration anyone?

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Fuzzesdo get kinda mushy and tubby, especially with humbuckers. That's just kind of the nature of the beast. The best way I've found to get a more articulate sound out of one (I use an Elektron Analog Drive that has fuzz) is to use a slightly crunchy gain sound on my amp and blend it in with the fuzz to get something usable. That might work for you, but the only other option really is a fuzz/distortion like a RAT or a Big Muff or a fuzz with a clean blend like a Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom & Blend.

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby maxpower » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks

It is definitely usable. Again, for me, turning down the volume on the guitar helps.

Single coil bridge pickup helps
CT4M, DC127, CL7, Delos 6X

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:09 am

As mentioned, that's sort of the nature of the beast for many fuzz circuits. There are a number of ways to combat it, but an easy and effective way to do so is with a good FET boost or preamp set to unity gain (try it before or after). I built a clone of a Boss FA-1 just to try it, and it turns out the thing is magic. It adds a sparkle and tightness to everything and has a two-band EQ to really dial it in. There are probably pre-built FA-1 clones out the somewhere, and something like a ZVex SHO should also work. Just make sure it's FET based.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

musicislife

Postby musicislife » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:12 pm

I haven't tried a Fuzztration but I have played a Wampler Velvet V2.

> Are fuzz pedals supposed to be so fat and mushy in the low end?

Yeah, most of the ones I've played including the Velvet are fat and mushy. Best way to tame them, across all my guitar and amp combinations, is the volume control on the guitar. Cleans most of em right up. I'll have to try "a good FET boost or preamp set to unity gain" myself, because I don't love messing with my volume control for just certain specific pedals.
The gear:
SCB6, deep vintage burst on flamed maple

"If you don’t know the blues… there’s no point in learning the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music. "

- Keith Richards

Return to Other Gear