Pedal Boards? Show em if ya got em....

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

ZooHead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Pedal Boards? Show em if ya got em....

Postby ZooHead » Thu May 31, 2018 8:59 am

spudmunkey wrote:
ZooHead wrote:How do I post a picture without the frame around it?

If you attach an image directly here, that box is sorta helpful because it indicates that the image it larger, and that you can click on it and see a larger version of the image closer to the original uploaded image. It is displayed in that box in a shrunk down size, sort of an extra extra large thumbnail, to keep the forum itself more compact and still having the larger image available to those who want to see more.

To post an image without the frame, you would need to host it elsewhere, and then use the [img] tags to hot-link to that image, which is then shown in the thread as full-sized (or as big as it can within the parameter of how the forum width is set up).

Thanks spudmunkey

ZooHead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ZooHead » Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 am

I'm a couch player, can't play a heavy guitar with
a strap because of chronic shoulder problems.

An old Les Paul would have me paralyzed in three min.

Into an SDrum then into a patchbay to multiply the signal going into the effects.
Then into an aux mixer to blend. I also have a Dennon two track digital recorder so I don't forget riffs.
I got tired of not being able to remember a good riff the next day, forgot thousands over the years.

Digitech 2120, Kemper Profiler and a Line6 Helix. Not shown the Avid Eleven.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Thu May 31, 2018 1:45 pm

I'm thinking about redoing my pedalboard again to take advantage of the Carvin Legacy Drive I have sitting around doing nothing. With a power amp (even solid state) it sounds great, but not so much directly into an amp.

What I am going to attempt to do is run the Legacy Drive into the effects return of my new Quilter Tone Block 201. The Quilter works extremely well as a power amp for the Legacy Drive, and it can go either direct using an XLR cable or into one or two cabinets, or both I'm assuming (haven't tried that yet). I'll run my time-based effects (Strymon TimeLine, TC Mini HOF) after the Legacy. Before it, the chain will be (if I can fit it all): Boss TU-2, SP Compressor, Bad Horsie 2 wah, Phase 95, ADA Flanger, TS9, OCD, JHS Sweet Tea, Boss CE-2w.

I doubt I can fit all that, though. I'm thinking I'll need at least a Pedal Train Terra board for it all, and that might still be too small.

I'm hoping using the Legacy Drive into the Quilter's return will give me a good tone through the church sound system. We run direct out and right now I'm using the church's Pod HD500 with a Fender clean model. It's not a terrible clean sound, but for running pedals it's not great. I generally don't care for modeling anyway. Tube or analog solid state sounds better.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:45 am

2Plus2isChicken wrote:
What I am going to attempt to do is run the Legacy Drive into the effects return of my new Quilter Tone Block 201.

Whoa! Best of both worlds there! That's gonna be awesome! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:18 am

Yeah, it is. Working out the power cables will be the biggest challenge, though. I wish there was a power supply that you could power a Quilter amp and a Legacy Drive along with your other pedals and only have one cord to plug in. I did find a small power strip that doesn't have the cord hardwired into it, so that will make things neater hopefully.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: Pedal Boards? Show em if ya got em....

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:44 am

ZooHead wrote:
Casual Madman wrote: LPB-1 power booster by Electro Harmonix

An LPB-1, I don't believe it. That was the first device I bought
as a kid, at E.U. Wurlitzer on Newbury st. in Boston.

That's amazing, I don't have any of my old pedals.

Still works, too.

A friend of mine took his apart and "miniaturized" it by mounting the components on a bit of fibreboard, then soldered that to a push-pull pot and dropped it into the control cavity on his Les Paul. Made one tone control the master and used the other one as his booster.

Forty years before Gibson had the same idea. :mrgreen:

ZooHead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ZooHead » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:25 am

The best ideas come from the garage.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:37 am

How do people figure stuff like that out? I can't even solder, let alone begin to figure out how to take the circuit of a pedal and integrate it into the controls of a guitar.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:13 am

2Plus2isChicken wrote:How do people figure stuff like that out? I can't even solder, let alone begin to figure out how to take the circuit of a pedal and integrate it into the controls of a guitar.

I think some of it is from people who just like to experiment. "I wonder what would happen if..." I wish I was more like that. Before I do anything, I have to spend like a year watching youtube tutorials and finding various documentation and then reading and comparing review on any and all tools needed...ha!

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:56 pm

Yeah, me too, except after watching all those tutorials I'm like, "Nah."
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:02 am

spudmunkey wrote:
2Plus2isChicken wrote:How do people figure stuff like that out? I can't even solder, let alone begin to figure out how to take the circuit of a pedal and integrate it into the controls of a guitar.

I think some of it is from people who just like to experiment. "I wonder what would happen if..." I wish I was more like that. Before I do anything, I have to spend like a year watching youtube tutorials and finding various documentation and then reading and comparing review on any and all tools needed...ha!

Well the guts of a LPB-1 are really simple. There's not even a circuit board - the transistors and what not are just soldered to each other.

He said getting the battery in was the hardest part.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm running into some issues with the new board I'm putting together.

Since I am putting a Quilter amp, the Legacy Drive and my pedals on it I will need three outlets. If at all possible my goal is to have a single power cord coming from the board, and that cord needs to be detachable. My solution was to get a power strip with a detachable cord. They don't make many like that, and the one I got is missing all the UL/FCC stuff, which I thought they were supposed to have. Should I even use it?
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:16 pm

I wouldn't worry too much if it's ETL rather than UL listed....but I'm a crazy kind of cat like that.

Have you seen this one? It's ETL listed, which means that it confirms to UL requirements, but it's not technically UL listed.
https://hermanproav.com/product/34669/L ... -Included-

I've used it once before for an AV cabinet, but I'm not 100% sure it would have passed inspection if they were specifically looking for UL listing like they were for some of our other pieces.

Alternnatively, could you find something that's just a multi-plug adaptor, and then just use an extension cord as your power cord?

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:18 pm

I could do that, or use a power strip and connect an extension cord, but I'm wondering how safe that is. The power strip I have has no labels on it at all. I don't even think it shows the amp rating or anything of that sort.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 pm

As long as the extension cord is rated higher than what you're plugging into it, you should be totally fine. Anything "heavy duty" will probably be OK as long as the draw if the items you're plugged into it aren't in excess of what the cord is rated for. The only real dangers are a) using a ridiculously long extension cord, and b) the plug coming un-done, but you can tie an easy "pretzel knot" around the connection to hold it together, or I suppose you could use someting like this:
https://www.tethertools.com/product/jer ... TkQAvD_BwE

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:43 pm

What would be "ridiculously long" for an extension cord? I don't plan on running one more than 15-20 feet, probably less.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Once you get past 25, resistance can build up and generate heat if you're pulling a fair amount of power. 50, moreso. I suggest keeping to 25 or less. 50 is probably still ok as long as it's not coiled up on itself, or under rugs, etc. The more current you're pulling compared to the cord's rated capacity, the more you'll want to stay away from super long cords, 25+, especially for long term use like a gig. They can't handle as much current as well. The higher the gauge the better, though once you get 25+.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 pm

I'm thinking I'll be fine. The extension cord I would use seems to be high quality, with the same thickness as the cords normally used to run pedal power supplies. Plus I doubt I'll be running more than 3-3.5 amps. I figure 1 amp for all my pedals, which is probably overestimating it, one amp for the Legacy and whatever current the Quilter draws, which probably isn't any more than the Legacy Drive.

I'll be using a PedalTrain Classic Pro and I'm thinking about not putting the power supply under the board so I can plug it into the power strip. Making all the wiring neat will probably be difficult.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:27 pm

I got the board together finally, although I can't upload pictures for some reason (the attach file button doesn't work on my phone).

It does sound good, though. Using my Bolt with H22T/N pickups I got what I think is a pretty close Vai tone using the Legacy Drive into the Quilter's effects return. The board is pretty heavy, though. I can still lift it pretty easily so that's ok.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Sounds like a sweet rig! Hopefully the pic attach works for you later, because I'd love to see your photos. :rockon:

Return to Other Gear