1972 Hagstrom HIIN OT and others....

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: 1972 Hagstrom HIIN OT and others....

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Looks sweet! My only complaint would be the 1v/1t setup, but it's still a sweet axe, no doubt?
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:29 pm

Hey, I've been Lurking around this Thread from the beginning. :ninja:
Maybe you guys heard some tip-toeing, loud swallows, or Borborygmi, followed by flatulance in the distance......."WHAT WAS THAT"???... as you turned your heads. It was me Lurking. :oops:

Judging by the enthusiasm you two share about P-90's, I sense I may be missing out on something amazing.
Years ago, a friend of mine used to make a lot of mistakes in life. So I suggested we build an A$$ kicking machine, that doesn't require another person. Step in, pull the lever, and get a boot kick in the A$$.
I don't have a P-90 equipped guitar,,,,do I need to step in the machine, and pull the lever?

I'm on the lookout for something with P-90's now. Maybe a hollow body. We'll see.

Canon Mutant, I hope you can find a miracle to help overcome the health issues you are experiencing. Keep up your positive attitude, and keep rocking!
Have you ever heard of Carnivora? I hear good things about it's ability to boost the immune system. Just a thought.

Well, back to Lurking ....for now.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:18 pm

Must have!!! Just the clean jazz runs and chords, and the dirty crunch chords alone... They're to die for!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:15 am

I have to upload a tone demo of this great old HIIN OT. The crazy thing is that tone wise the thing this guitar reminds me of is an original burst. I know when Hagstrom Sweden created these humbuckers originally back in the late sixties they were specifically looking to recreate Seth Lover's original recipe on the original PAF's. And they have that same great transparency.

Listen to Drowning In Guitars demo of an old HIIN, check out the riff of the old Blues Breakers beano guitar at 1.56:

https://youtu.be/FupdKZk_Jm8

Has that same sharp, clear transparent tone. I just used it for the first time in a recording last week on the song I just uploaded Walking Off The Edge Of The World, where it's doing the lead embellishments (but the instrumental that follows is pretty much all the 150). It's on my page for sharing music.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Sigh . . . well I guess it is official though I do not know why? My Hag dealer cannot order a tri-pup SS or any other P90 model.

On the Godin front, you know, I got so caught up in the price break on those lovely Summit models, I wasn't thinking clearly. 1V/1T is a problem. Though I play quite often with the tones on 10, there are times I do not and others where I am mixing both pups where it is imperative to have the tones different. Another problem with buying blind online.

But, Godin has a "Core" model that is even cheaper, does not have the HDR circuit but that is what a boost pedal is for and the Core doesn't require a battery. Not bad at $895 . . .

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:41 pm

Sweet looking axe.. adjustable wraparound. Looks like a win to me!

I'd love to know what in god's name is going on with Hagstrom?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:39 pm

And, Eric says his Stetson will sit right on it. Almost kinda cool to be able to put on or take off a tremolo depending on your particular bend at the moment [pun intended :laughhard: sorry] . . . providing the Stetsons work as advertised?

Anyway, since all else is now taken care of this holiday season, I have a Godin Core P90 guitar on the way for my Xmas toy. :applause:

I honestly don't know about Hagstrom but, just for grins, I called a Hag dealer in Missouri and got the same answer. What I don't know is if it is the tri-pup SS or Hagstroms in general? I got the impression it was the tri-pup SS they can no longer get but I am not 100%. Of course, lately, I am only about 75% conscious so hopefully I did not dream it all? :think: Nope, pretty sure it's real! Seriously, since we're 7 pages in here, I haven't worked this hard to buy a particular guitar since I tried to get a Synth Carvin [what] two years ago now? But let's not rehash all of that, shall we? :naughty:

There are more SS tri-90s on Ebay including the one I already tried and there is one from Kentucky that put on Locking Gotohs. That could be a good thing but, unfortunately, they also said they upgraded the "plastic" factory tuners with the Locking Gotohs. Um, I could not get either of the tremar guitars I tried to stay in tune but the tuners were NOT plastic. So, makes you wonder what the "real story" is on that one?

On the SD Saturday Night Specials front . . . they are growing on me a bit. Since they are terribly mid-range-y but so are P90s you might think they would be perfect. Problem is, clean, the mids are not warm like P90s are. So, when you flip to dirty, they get kinda obnoxious. But, you know those "tone thing-ys" on your amp? Yeah, well I normally run the mids about 1:00 most of the time and if I scoop the mids on these Saturday Night Specials and add a tad more treble the guitar sounds a lot better. So, it's like B-12, M-10, T-2 at the moment and sounding pretty good. Not better than the S22s but I am still tweaking and at least they work . . .
and, nice to be playing my goto guitar again. :woot:

That said, I wonder what some P90 Phat Cats would sound like in my KOA topped Carvin? Might be worth a try next year if the SNSs stop growing on me?

Well, that and I don't like die or something . . . [details]

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:12 pm

I was trying to get the guy who owned one of these koa 160's (it looked so much like this model I think it might be the same guitar) to sell to me so I could rip out the old 22's and put in some P90's. Your dreams of p90 ecstasy with your CS are the same dreams I had with this axe. Don't know what I would have done with all the mini switches though, but they look nice lol!
I guess ideally the best specifmen for that (whoops) would be a DC100 (150/60 minus the fancy stereo and all the mini switches) but in koa. Never saw one though.

Like this guitar, it was one of the nicest 160's I'd ever seen. I'm not crazy about horizontal flame in koa--mine has some very very fine subtle flame all over it and it pops out via certain angles. This guitar has that superfine flame that plays second fiddle (see what I did?) to all the vertical striping on here that is 1) beautiful and 2) signals "great guit!"

I'm working on something right now, and if it doesn't work out the order is going in to Carvin for the CS. I was even thinking of buying the HH2 Holdsworth guitar, that ziricote/hog beauty that Vincent put up:
left me gasping and almost ready to buy one just like it. As much as I like these guitars (they are, after all, riffs on the old Super Swede concept of a long scale LP style axe), I just do NOT want 24 frets on this particular single cut classic style build, regardless of scale length and regardless of where it comes from.

Be nice to hear some sound samples of your godin. As for the Phatcats, Elfdude could tell you about them and how they sound. He has pairs in 2 semi hollows I believe.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:02 pm

Check your PM...
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:05 am

Johan, holding a gorgeous vintage burst Northen!

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:40 am

Canon and I have been chatting and working on some stuff behind the scenes by PM. But there should be some nice new additions to this thread in the new year!

And a word of warning to anyone who might be enticed to buy something from this or any other thread. Hagstrom seems to be in a transitional state in terms of dealers in the USA. The supply was always short since it didn't have a big audience here in the USA. There are a lot of people selling them "new" who aren't authorized dealers. I'd order from a strong overseas dealer before I'd order from one of those guys at this point. The dollar is strong now, so it's not that bad.

But someone who is not a dealer that claims to have a "brand new" instrument is probably suspect... Learning as I go along. I was wondering why it took so long for Sam Ash to get mine direct from the company back in the spring. Hopefully things shake out in the new year.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Yeah, what Doc said ^^ . . . live and learn!

I ended up getting the replacements for my Lifesons [yes the Lifesons I still have NOT actually sold yet - my wife reminds me daily] from a couple of USA dealers, supposedly brand new, in good enough shape as far as no signs of wear but would not stay in tune [details, right?]. So, barring some unforeseen catastrophe, due to the strong dollar, you can actually buy Hags overseas and have them shipped here for about $100 less than you can even by the 2nd hand models here for. I have both models I want in a well known Euro-supplier's shopping cart delivered from the United Kingdom to me near Wichita, America for only $1256.

I at least had both the semi-hollow Viking Deluxe and the single cut solid body tri-P90 Super Swede long enough to know they are VERY nice guitars for the money if you can get a good one, not a 2nd or B-stock, that hasn't been passed around several times or beaten to death on a sales floor by the munchkins. In both cases, the necks and the pups are to die for . . . seriously Hagstrom knows how to make really nice pickups! If I could get them, I wouldn't mind a set of their Alnico II HBs and those wonderful P90s for my Carvins! :applause:

And, USPS surprised me! My Godin I ordered just showed up a few minutes ago BEFORE Xmas. Was not scheduled to be here until the 27th coming USPS instead of UPS or FedEx and that usually means a trip all the way into Wichita for me since rural carriers don't do packages . . . they generally just put a pickup slip in your box with the mail-mail. This "gal" that delivers our mail actually drove up our long drive and brought it out. Had I been here, I would have given her a gratuity!

I am waiting for it to acclimate before unboxing . . . will post pics later :woot: :cowbell: :rockon:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:35 pm

How awesome is it when equipment arrives way ahead of schedule? That happened with the 1972 HIIN!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Looking forward to pics and tone report on that Godin!!!

Merry Christmas to one and all..
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:58 pm

Guitar looks, plays, and sounds OK except for the bridge isn't grounded. Sometimes that is intentional to keep the player isolated from the days where stage power might not be at ground but this guitar is horribly noisy and we're not talking 60hz SC hum. Goes quiet the minute you touch the bridge or even on the the tuners on the other end. Not easy to check. There is no bridge access from the rear so would have to pull the bridge pup out to examine. If this is intentional for this guitar and not an oversight, here is another one going back . . .Have to call Godin next week.

The SD P90s [at least in this guitar] have the P90 sound but lack punch I've heard on others . . . like those Hags! And, the bridge on this is supposed to be a -3 to the neck -1 [e.g. hotter] and I don't really notice that. Sure you get the classic quack tone difference but not really "hotter" to my ear. :stir:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Hardest thing in the world, it seems, or at least I've found via my long hunt, to find a guitar that maintains that classic gold top/LP special rasp but pushes up the output through alnico mags.

Weird about all that noise.... Hope you can fix it or find a solution that works for you.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:57 pm

I stand corrected. I have finally had a MONSTER guitar cable go bad . . . and naturally when I was trying out a guitar I just got! :wall:

Anyway, good cable => no noise => it's a keeper. I'm not getting that "religious P90 experience" but they are P90s and the guitar plays quite well which I already knew from my other one.

So, apologies to Godin but what are the odds? With me . . . apparently pretty good! :think:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:25 am

When do we get to see some actual photos? The photo above is from an ad, correct?

Anyhow, I'm glad you didn't have to send it back! This should at least quench your P90 thirst to some degree.

Congrats my friend. :applause: :applause:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:49 am

canon_mutant wrote: I'm not getting that "religious P90 experience" but they are P90s and the guitar plays quite well which I already knew from my other one.

I'll let you in on a secret. My favorite P-90s that I've tried so far also happen to be very affordable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-cream-Warman-Soapy-Joes-P90-soapbar-pickups-/181847453776
Yes, they're ceramic, but I love their tone. And they're hot and punchy as well.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:31 am

How would you compare them to the sound of the Phat Cats, elf? (IIRC you weren't totally wowed by the Cats, were you? Or do I remember wrong?)

Anyhow, just found a cool pick of Dwee:

and Jimi on the H8:
and de man himself playing a Swede Patch (first synth guitar):

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:57 am

Doc beat me to it. Was hoping for some :coolpics: of the Godin. Glad to hear it was a cable Monster making the noise. :wink:

Have you heard the P-90's on the Gibson Explorer III. I like the way they are wired. Lot's of tones. I think I have to get one now. :naughty:

Return to Other Gear