1972 Hagstrom HIIN OT and others....

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

ElfDude

Re: 1972 Hagstrom HIIN OT and others....

Postby ElfDude » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:26 am

Doctor Turn wrote:How would you compare them to the sound of the Phat Cats, elf? (IIRC you weren't totally wowed by the Cats, were you? Or do I remember wrong?)

I love the Phat Cat bridge pickup. The Neck, not so much.

The Phat Cat bridge is the sound of a thick, warm, single coil that still retains its highs and clarity. The Warman P-90 I linked to is similar, with a bit more treble and a bit more volume and punch. Which is fine by me! I've got the Warmans in the guitar pictured below. If I play it, and then pull out my Les Paul, the Gibson P-90s underwhelm me. :(

The Phat Cat neck pickup sounds like a nice, deep single coil with the tone knob on the guitar turned down to 4 or 5. That doesn't work for me. I like a little chime in my neck pickups. The Warman Soapy Joe neck pickup has the chime. And more volume.

Just one man's opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary.

IMG_1718.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Someone posted the real Killa Dilla, rare hardtail burst from the same year as mine, in great shape and at a good price.

https://reverb.com/item/4631954-hagstro ... 1972-burst
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Chicago Music Exchange just threw up one of the really rare hardtail ("OT") HIIN's at a steal price. They've now got a couple of the Viking 1N's, and this HIIN OT.. nice time for vintage Hag chasers:

Even has the original case which is unheard of:
It's got some nicks here and there, but this is in really nice shape, considering it's almost half a century old:

Love these things. They have nice fat necks too, with chunky shoulders (shoulders are kind of similar to the DC150), and if I wasn't religiously determined to finally nail a Carr, I might buy a second one, just to have. Same pups as the vintage Swedes and the 70's version of the Viking, but it has a unique sound all it's own. In the neck it's almost like a semihollow, in the bridge it's like a pounding wrought iron metalworks..
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am

Naked Ape wrote:Doc beat me to it. Was hoping for some :coolpics: of the Godin. Glad to hear it was a cable Monster making the noise. :wink:

Have you heard the P-90's on the Gibson Explorer III. I like the way they are wired. Lot's of tones. I think I have to get one now. :naughty:

Yo Ape! Wasn't it you who pointed out that you thought it was wild that the stop on this hard tail HIIN OT had two holes per string... And my reply was basically, "Yeah, that's true. I noticed that too."... ?

Well I just had a major Duh moment with my tech. I brought this axe to him this morning for a general tune up with the warm weather change (always a good setup time , I think, w very old guitars). he looked at it, and in his standard nonchalant, science nerd style way honked nasally,

"Ah, interesting.. they used a stop tailpiece for a twelve string, which they also made."

"Y-yeah! Of course I realized that!" :lol:

I only reproduced The Zappa ad ninety times.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:45 pm

:idea: :wall: :applause:
Yeah, I seem to recall pointing that out. It is so obvious now. :lol:
My time spent with 12 strings is very minimal. Always good to solve a mystery.
"And I would have gotten away with it, if not for you meddling kids".

Return to Other Gear