NGD Hagstrom Northen Series Super Swede.. SCORE!!

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

NGD Hagstrom Northen Series Super Swede.. SCORE!!

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Dah da da DUMMMMMM! :stir:

It's here and I'm giggling in my dry goods it's so nice....
Last edited by Doctor Turn on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: NGD Placeholder...

Postby arahobob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Congrats!
No photos?

:cowbell:
:laughhard:
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:50 pm

:ninja:

Good for you man! Great way to start the year.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Some shots before I leave (I took delivery here at work to be sure not to miss it):

Anyone reading the the Hagstrom thread may have read that the high end, hand made-in Europe arm of Hagstrom (made by the same Bohemian Czech luthiery that makes those incredible Manson guitar and basses) that made those high end Super Swedes and regular Swedes, is going out of business. They're not making them anymore... the regular Asian made line is sticking around but the margins were too thin and not enough folks were buying this MIE handmade series.

Since buying the Super Swede w the 3 P90's I knew I wanted a Northen Super. Gibson custom shop or better quality. Flamed maple binding. Carved AAA flamed maple top, rather than the Custom 58 Hag made pups, the Northen line uses Alnico II buckers made especially for this handmade line by Johan Lundgren, chambered mahogany body so much lighter than the MIC line.

I spent two weeks scouring around to find one with a traditional sunburst on a flamed top... tons of places have them on their websites but none actually have them... Even Swedish sellers couldn't get one. I found ONE, a prototype made for Gibson's dealer in the UK (Rosetti) at the launch of the line which, after telling the seller in Glasgow that they had no more and couldn't get more, remembered they had stashed away in the warehouse? Would I want that? I pounced!!!

This may be the last Northen Super Swede coming out of Europe. I scoured Sweden, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy... I got a great price, a decent Stagg tweed Les Paul case thrown in. The retailer knew little about the line so thought I might not want it since it was used at a Musikmesse show for two days, so he lowered the price and sweetened the deal w a case!!!

This thing just glows with that patina of a high end instrument. It's just got that incredible feel that the best R8's/9's have at the $4,000 price point. It feels incredible. Rather than the flatter 15" radius of the MIC line, this has the more traditional 12" radius, with the same wide flat profile.. it's a neck just made for my hands. I cant wait to get this thing home. It's the desperation score of a lifetime. It was either this or a $5,000 long scale CS Gibson Long Scale Les Paul Standard.. and quite frankly I think this is probably the better instrument. My guy out in Glasgow, when he received it from his distributor and checked it out for me, said, handling this line for the first time, that this is better than anything he's ever played from Gibson, ever.

It's too bad the public didn't catch on to these. At two grand and under, they're works of art and steals.

Can't wait to get it home and plug in. She flew from Europe to come home to me!

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: NGD Hagstrom Northen Series Super Swede.. SCORE!!

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Hanging on the wall at the dealer's in Scotland on arrival from the distributor.

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Here the family was all lined up on the couch (it's definitely been a year of Hagstrom itch scratching... And I'm very glad I did).. my array of guns

And the Carvin booted the HIIN OT out of the way to make room for the next guitar, the Korina CS 6

But the pickups on this new guitar are phenomenal. They are some of the creamiest, clearest Alnico 2s I've ever played. Plus that extra chime and bloom from the long scale pushing through that heavy dark sound, it's amazing. This guitar is a keeper on the level of the old 150 Stereo. The tone pots are push pulls for splitting (the pickups btw are Lundgren Smooth Operators that were then customized to bring them closer to those great old Swedes and Supers from the seventies), and the pots themselves are extremely high quality, Light years beyond the MIC guitars.. had to junk the pots and caps on that first Super Swede P90s immediately to bring the electronics in line with the p90 triple pickups, the bridge and the excellence of the build.

This guitar is the epiphany I've been searching for for a long time, in super high quality. It's just a shame that I'll probably never find another.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:56 pm

WOW!!! Congratulations. Your family has grown a lot, and quickly. That Northern Hag is a nice looking addition. I really like the wood binding. Looks like a really wide neck, which is great. Enjoy that one.
This one definitely scratches that long scale Les Paul itch. :drool:
Any pics of the back and neck?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:30 pm

I know... I wasn't really looking to buy another guitar, especially my third one in a row of the same brand (people will think I'm a kook) but the HIIN OT was too good to be true in hardtail (anyone who chases old classic era Swedish Hagstroms knows they take forever to find, even longer in immaculate shape like that one... Only thing I'd consider harder is a vintage Super Swede in mahogany, or maybe one of those color series blue or yellow Swedes from back then).. doubly didn't want to spend the money right after Christmas spending.

I actually owe the knowledge that led to this to the thoroughly right guy, member here Canon Mutant. He has always known about Hagstroms but my posts kind of ignited the bug in him, although he had some bad luck on an order with some not new "new" product on Reverb. Some jokers on there... He's been working with their USA distributor to get a legit dealer like I did on my p90's to get one of the triple p90 Supers with the good bridge and a Super Viking... And in conversation he asked about the Northen Series which he also eventually wanted, and they laid the bad news on him that they are no longer contracting that Bohemian Czech luthiery to make those hand made versions of the two Swedes. Which he then passed along to me... Which sent me on a two week scramble to find one. I just got very lucky. I literally may have gotten the last one. I'm sure the margins were just too thin for the builder, with too few orders coming in from dealers. Most millennials haven't the slightest clue who Hagstrom were or are, the history behind the instruments, etc. But although that high end line contract is over with, the main mid priced MIC line goes on.

But I owe it to canon, who I feel bad for as he is just about ready to give up on the Northen line, and he's the one who heard the news first. But more important than this guitar nonsense is the fact that his health is taking another nose dive... No other word for it. We've been PM ing since the HIIN thread went quiet... He's good people... I'm not religious at all, but I know many around here are... So pray for the guy if you are. He'll probably pop back around saying something freaky like "Ummmm... The zombie is here," or something like that with nutz humor... Which I hope.

Anyhow, nakedape... Here's the neck showing off the flamed maple binding, the flat thin hag profile, the TUSQ jumbo, Resinator board, and contoured belly cut back. Wow this angle is right under my living room light and it really shows off fingerprints in pics of the back!

Wide neck fits me like a glove with just the right amount of meat on the underside.
Resinator board could use a little oiling. Best is paraffin oil for this wood composite. Guitar sat in a UK warehouse after doing two days duty in 2012 at a dealer expo, when Hagstrom first launched the Northen Series. It was only due to the diligence of the store rep in Glasgow Scotland at merchant city music, did the dealer remember that they had this gem stashed away over the past five years...
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:29 pm

Here's another couple things I meant to upload last night when I got home, but I fell out after uploading the pics to photobucket.

Everything these guys have done historically on a guitar, they think through and rethink through trying to forget what the big names have been laying down and getting riffed on for, and go back to the drawing board to come up with their own way. You can already see things like the long scale single cut, the fretboard, the i-beam huge truss running down to the neck pup, and the like. They were also the first to put two strap buttons on the bottom of the axe so it can stand up on it's own.. it goes way back to the Seventies with the original Super Swedes (here's a mint 1980, long sold).

What also cool is the bridge: each string anchors into its own individual brass tone block which is in turn anchored direct into the body to transmit string resonance. My guitar showing the double strap buttons and views of the unique stop tail. From the top you see this (which is great for a palm rest):

But looking horizontally up the guitar this is what's under there:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm a fan of the non-lp single cuts.
Congrats on a cool find - sounds like your thrilled!
Current Carvins:
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:46 pm

arahobob wrote:I'm a fan of the non-lp single cuts.
Congrats on a cool find - sounds like your thrilled!

Thanks bro. Yes, thrilled beyond belief. I knew these were supposed to be good. I know they're priced in that $1700-2100 pocket. But the action, the feel & fit & finish... and most importantly the Lundgren pups working in combination with the scale length, they're better than I was hoping for. This is up in the level of $4,000-10,000 guitars, like the best to come out of the Gibson Custom Shop. Mansons, Thorns, Artingers, up there. I'm sure with this kind of a build the margins were TINY.. they totally needed some decent sales relatively quickly, which I'm sure they never got.

This ends my little Hagstrom hunting season, but I took in every guitar I wanted from three different points of departure from them, 1) the reissue MIC line w the brand new Super Swede Tremar 3 P90's (fabulous guitar, just the pots and rotary needed junking, and very heavy.. bridge is a rock stable vintage style trem, my experience mirrors most other folks' and has been much more stable tuning wise than the Big), 2) the 1972 Swedish vintage HIIN OT hardtail.. rarity, very unique, transparent, complex sound. Such a large hollow space under the pickguard, the birch gets hyper resonant and on the booming neck pup it's almost like a little jazz semi hollow!!, the bridge pup totally different almost sounds like a 1959 LP bridge.. and lastly this, discontinued high end northen from the current line.

China 2016, Sweden 1972, Bohemia Czech 2012... very good, great, and absolutely superior.

Thrilled indeed bro! :mrgreen: 8)

Now back on to Kiesel/Carvin. Once I get this korina CS6 in vintage yellow I'll get that Carr Skylark....

Hows the new Vader ideas coming along?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Hows the new Vader ideas coming along?

That thread turned out wonderful!
My scb6 (future) build is solidified. Black limba in place of white / vintage yellow. Done.
I just need to find the $$$

As for the Vader, the guitar to fulfill my steinberger dreams of old, I've all ready answered in my signature, but I don't think folks around here read them. :mrgreen:
Current Carvins:
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:10 pm

arahobob wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:Hows the new Vader ideas coming along?

That thread turned out wonderful!
My scb6 (future) build is solidified. Black limba in place of white / vintage yellow. Done.
I just need to find the $$$

As for the Vader, the guitar to fulfill my steinberger dreams of old, I've all ready answered in my signature, but I don't think folks around here read them. :mrgreen:

Well, I see that you're going to buy one this year.. says that, but I'm not seeing what kind of build, ie wood/color choices?

BTW.. I have to say that for the first time in my life, going back almost 32 years... all the Les Pauls I've played, single and double cut, all the PRS, other humbucker driven solidbodies, never playing a guitar that felt so good in my hands and more importantly had the special, rare simplicity of a one wood build all the way through out of a loud piece of super resonant old growth Hawaiian koa... with the versatility of the M22's, the stereo wiring, the splitting, phasing, etc.... Years practically living in NYC guitar shops playing new/used instruments, always coming home to that 150 and saying "My GOD how lucky I am..."

I've finally found another that's that good. I adore this guitar. I've got to put some sound samples together, so folks can hear what I mean. I hope the mic can get across how good this thing sounds. My vintage XV212 loves this guitar. Great stuff.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:16 pm

That is a great looking guitar ALL-AROUND!!! Very cool variation of the stop-tail. Nice belly/rib cage relief.
I like the slight oversize LP with the long scale too. You probably won't meet anybody else with one like that! Super-Score!!! :applause:

I have a unique variation of an oversized longer scale Les Paul..ish on steroids too. It's a rebel with tattoos, Big-Butt, chamfer/beveled edge, with Star inlays on 24 fret Ebony and a birdseye Maple neck. I could enter this one in sustain competitions Worldwide. :lol:
Here it is posing with a '69 LP Custom:
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 4.11.03 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:23 pm

wHOAH! That thing is HUGE! How heavy is that beast?

Is that an Ibanez signature? I've never seen the guitar or the shape before. My nephew likes tatted guitars, runic symbols, HR Giger prints on the axes, etc.

My nose is much more powerfully drawn to the nicely aged Custom.. if I send you my address how long do you think it would take to send it to me.. simply because I'm just.................................................... wanting it? :laughhard: Congrats on that vintage Gibson beauty!

I was just watching a video from the BBC, where Tony Visconti goes track by track deconstructing Heroes, revealing the raw tracks capturing some of my favorite sounds of a black Les Paul Custom ever recorded... Robert Fripps Black Beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClNGJXUWvk

Listening to the power and the beauty of these runs he's playing, it's just painfully beautiful. He's just so fantastic.. I'm very glad he's still with us.

Is that the edge of an early to mid-80's Series III 6L6 vintage X-amp combo I see peeking in on the right hand side?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Good eye, that's my X-100 that came with an EV12L.
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 8.27.29 PM.png

UNFORTUNATELY!!!! I don't own the '69 LP Custom. :( It belongs to a friend, that had me go through and set-up his collectables. His '79 Cherry Sunburst LP Custom looks similar to the Vintage Hag you posted. The '69 has a FAT neck! which is okay, but... If blindfolded, I would probably take the '79 surprisingly.
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 8.45.52 PM.png

I am currently on the hunt for a LP Custom 'Black Beauty'. I need to hold and play it first, and I won't get a Richlite fretboard on it.

The Ibanez LACS is 1 of 2 made for Gary Myrick at the Ibanez 'Los Angeles Custom Shop' in 1991 by Mike Lipe. It's a bit over 10lbs. The Roses are flamed Maple inlays. This is Gary with the other one.
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 8.24.50 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:35 pm

I'd give my right arm for a late fifties black beauty Custom with three genuine PAF's, with the stipulation that it is one of those good builds where everything comes together just right... Bad models of every guitar from every year, where a great design just is a toneless lemon, where the sum of the parts just didn't come off, and that goes for Holy Grails too. But a good Custom... Ay yay yay.

It's a wild Ibanez. Looks like you bought it either from the artist himself or it was made for him but not used? Was that signed by him or is that silk-screened on?

On the Swede shape, they look bigger than they really are... It's the wide waist and the rounded horn makes the proportions look bigger than they are. Probably aids in delivering that famous Hagstrom sustain. I like the shape... some don't, but it's a euro elegance all its own. But for the waist and the thicker horn, they're about the same size as a Les Paul.

But I lined up three guitars, the 150 (no there is no truss covert... Since removing the flip locks in going to get a custom engraved new cover) which is regarded as a small guitar... Probably has to do with the small top end of the body owing to the stubby horns, then the new Swede, and my small acoustic Yamaha cheap FS 700, which is kind of a half pint dreadnought. Small acoustic (spruce top, rosewood board and bridge mount, and nato body. You can see if you threw binding around the 150 it'd come very close to matching the size of the Hag. It's sunken down into the cushion a bit more so it starts out lower. Combination of the soft cushion edge with the weight of the koa slab. But I pushed the necks of the electrics forward so there's no foreshortening.

Also one of the few photos that captures the shape of the 150, that Viking horn teardrop look. It rarely reads with phone lenses distortion.

You can see there's not much difference in lower body/width... Obviously there's much more top half owing to the single cut style.

Definitely let us know when you nail that new custom! Will want to see it. Good luck!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:01 am

Congratulations, Doc!

I'm glad it's everything you hoped it would be! :mrgreen:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks Elf! I had a feeling I would like the Long Scale on a true LP style build with humbuckers, since I like it so much with those P90's, like a 1956 Goldtop gone loco. I thought I'd be getting a "sound" that I'd reach for when I need it. But there are some guitars that work so well for you, they feel so right in the hand and sound so good plugged in that they make you a better player when you hold them in your hand.

This guitar is that kind of guitar. It's an incredible machine for that VERY reasonable $1700-2100 price tag it went for (which I didn't pay since it had to be considered "used"). Too bad it's history now. I'd have eventually bought another in that cosmic blackburst, if they stayed in production. Here's a sweet one:

For Naked Ape, some shots from the Scottish store that sold it to me.. much better pics of the back than mine (still has the plastic on the back covers):
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:47 am

That's a solid looking build!!!! I can't believe those Hagstroms didn't catch on.
WHOA!! That Black/Silver Flamed Burst is my kind of colors! Me Likey. :drool:

The Ibanez came from Gary, and has been around. The guitar is in really good shape, but the case shows it's use.
Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 2.19.15 AM.png

The headstock is signed under the clear. The LACS was a very hands on Custom Shop for the Endorsers. The guitars built there were never available to the public.
Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 3.50.37 AM.png

Here is a shot of the back. It has the craziest non existent neck heel.
Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 2.25.21 AM.png

Sorry for Hijacking your thread. :oops: ....But I think I learned it from you so...... :wink: I'm glad you are a Happy Hag owner! Enjoy.

Return to Other Gear