NGD Hagstrom Northen Series Super Swede.. SCORE!!

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: NGD Hagstrom Northen Series Super Swede.. SCORE!!

Postby canon_mutant » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:23 pm

For anyone that cares, I got pricing. They are NOT cheap but I wasn't expecting them to be considering custom pups. The english is a little broken so I have asked to clarify if by "alnico 2" he indeed means "the Northern Pups". Maybe get group rates?

Dear Garth.

Thank you. We will build you two sets of Alnico 2. They are pretty close to Smooth Operator. We will name them for you at your order.

We can make one set with Nickel and one set with Gold. These sets are USD 299 $ each.

We do not know who builds the P-90 in their three pickup guitar. But we are very proud of our handmade P-90s and they are sound stunning. If you want to place of the order we needing your ship address. I guess Paypal is the best way to make payments.

Best Regards Johan Lundgren

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Very nice! Well, considering its a hand built set made to order on request to specs that are not in his formal catalog, 150 per pup is kind of par for the course.

I'm finishing up my very first song with this new guitar and the sound is just fantastic. Seriously thinking of grabbing that production model that I found in Europe. This guitar is pretty much "it." For me, anyhow. I expected an increase in clarity and a very good build quality, but this is one of those builds where it all comes together perfectly for me. I have a feeling if I don't grab this other one, say one for heavy gigging and one to stay home/studio in case something happens to the other, I'll regret it endlessly. Like the old 150, it's one of those guitars that isn't just "me" but it expands upon "me" and increases my expression.. one of those builds where you just don't change a damned thing!
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Btw have they processed your return?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:40 am

One of the coolest tri burst (as opposed to the standard vintage cherry on mine) Northens I've ever seen. This is Jock Blyth from the UK street punk band GBH:

Looks like the inside of a volcano...
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:01 pm

That looks amazing! Any photos of it in other lighting? This one, it's getting point-blank blasted with the camera flash. :)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:15 pm

Here's another look. There was another shot of the guitar taken by his road crew laying on it's case but I can't find it.

Hagstrom Guitars of Sweden has a post on this axe. It says:

Jock Blyth from UK's GBH (official) pictured here with his Hagstrom Northen Series Super Swede. This specific guitar was a rare bird, as this Quilted Maple Top suddenly appeared when the intended Flamed Maple Top was originally carved! #eyecandy!

I know where there's one of these tri tobacco bursts sitting brand new in a hick town in... Somewhere on Earth. It's beautiful (but with standard pinstripe flame, looks very much like the famous 1960 dark burst "Dutch Burst" Les Paul.) I've spoken to the owners and they've photographed it and it's a beaut. Unlike my prototype and the early first round of Northens that sported the fluer de li, (which is also when those initial vintage cherry bursts were standard), this one has the headstock shape white series Northen badge, like Jock's does here.

But I love mine ... Also one of a kind, and although it's an incredible guitar on all fronts I don't really"need" another.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Hell Yeah!!!! That's a SWEEEEET SWEDE.
GBH is one of the many 'Energy Monster' Punk Bands I listened to, while SK8ing half pipes and pools during the 80's and 90's. Good times. I just made an order last night, for a new OLD SCHOOl SK8 Board. I can't/won't grow up. :wink:
In 2011, I went to the GV30 (Golden Voice 30 year celebration). The night I went featured... Descendents, The Vandals, The Dickies, and the 'original' Black Flag did a couple songs unexpectedly. Those bands use some cool gear. Marshalls, LP's, SG's,,,,,,,, Classic tones. Sending people up to crowd surf. :lol:
Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 11.22.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 11.21.56 PM.png

Check out the Van's shoe on the fore head. That's Punk Rock! :laughhard:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:42 am

That Swedes Burst colors remind me of my LACS Ibanez's sibling. Still owned by Gary Myrick. Just a nice Classic look.
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 12.37.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 12.42.53 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:27 am

They're wicked guitars, and so beautifully put together. They're easily put together on the level of those $4-8K gibson custom shop axes, and I LERV the pickups.

Here's the one that's tucked away in an oddball corner of the world:

Since pretty much all of my pics of mine have vanished from this thread owing to mofobucket, I throw some back up here:

It's actually an interesting burst color.. depending on the light, it can take on a tobacco brownish hue.

Just a beautifully sharp guitar. One of the coolest and most unique (and most premium feeling in the hand) Les Paul style guitars I've ever played.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Another cool quilted Northen Super Swede "Flame" model with accidental quilt instead of flame (not as unique quilt as Colin Blyth's though.. his is some really wild squared/almost triangular shapes that make it almost a new classification of maple figure):

More Jock Blyth:

Tezz from Discharge playing his Backburst Northen Super:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 pm

And, you put locking tuners on and do a little work on the tremolo, with those absolutely amazing P90s, even a $500 Chinese model becomes one of your favorites . . . sorry for the OOF picture.

Yeah, I tried to die again but thankfully failed . . .

And trying to make better music with cheap guitars, I also bought a $400 Epiphone Dot, put in some Fralin P92s, and that guitar may be the best guitar I own. My god those Fralin P92s sound good in a semi-hollow . . .

I know, where's the audio? Sorry, still not organized enough to do that properly. Lucky to just do what I do . . .

I trust you all are still breathin' and all that other important stuff?

Wassup Doc?

I tried to buy a 2017 Gibson Classic LP but had to send it back. My god, Gibson has screwed those guitars up . . . the necks are horrible. Apparently filing the frets down is too time consuming ~ expensive so they just put an angled nub on the neck binding that attempts to go up to the fret. Problem is, in spots it doesn't quite make it or doesn't quite line up exposing your fingers to quite sharp fret ends. And, now they hate me on the les paul forum for saying so.

So, an $800 Epiphone Tribute Plus is on the way. Actual Gibson 57 Classics I already love, a "properly" constructed neck, and locking tuners on a really nice LP. Don't have it yet though . . .

Hey, I didn't die and made it to another birthday so, what the hell?

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:59 am

Glad you decided to hang around. :) I like the White Hagstrom. Good to see you got one that works for you. Doc will be pleased, I'm sure.
I've been playing my Epi Elitist Les Pauls a lot lately, love them. The Japanese are very consistent. I've gone through a number of Gibsons that just didn't do it for me, but the keepers, are just amazing. :wink:
One of these days, I'll get a P-90 guitar for myself. Just got an AC275, to force me to play some different styles. P-90's are next.
Welcome back! :D

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:28 am

canon_mutant wrote:And, you put locking tuners on and do a little work on the tremolo, with those absolutely amazing P90s, even a $500 Chinese model becomes one of your favorites . . . sorry for the OOF picture.

Yeah, I tried to die again but thankfully failed . . .

And trying to make better music with cheap guitars, I also bought a $400 Epiphone Dot, put in some Fralin P92s, and that guitar may be the best guitar I own. My god those Fralin P92s sound good in a semi-hollow . . .

I know, where's the audio? Sorry, still not organized enough to do that properly. Lucky to just do what I do . . .

I trust you all are still breathin' and all that other important stuff?

Wassup Doc?

I tried to buy a 2017 Gibson Classic LP but had to send it back. My god, Gibson has screwed those guitars up . . . the necks are horrible. Apparently filing the frets down is too time consuming ~ expensive so they just put an angled nub on the neck binding that attempts to go up to the fret. Problem is, in spots it doesn't quite make it or doesn't quite line up exposing your fingers to quite sharp fret ends. And, now they hate me on the les paul forum for saying so.

So, an $800 Epiphone Tribute Plus is on the way. Actual Gibson 57 Classics I already love, a "properly" constructed neck, and locking tuners on a really nice LP. Don't have it yet though . . .

Hey, I didn't die and made it to another birthday so, what the hell?

Hey Garth! Good to see you. I'm glad you're pulling through my friend!

So you finally pulled a Super Swede with the 3 P90's, nice to see that it's working out for you. I mentioned over in another post that even though it's my least expensive axe (paid $725 brand new from Sam Ash through that AMS or KMS .. or whatever that distributorship is), it's the one that gets recorded the most, even over my trusty old 150k and the incredible Northen. The bridge P90-S on that guitar with that fretboard material on that kind of warm heavy build on that scale length just produces some of the most useful--rhythm chording especially--sounds for me in the studio. It usually requires very little fiddling with EQ, and very little counter adjustments on other instruments in the mix to slot the track into the overall mix.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that one advertised on verb, partly because the condition was so good for a used instrument and partly because I love those traditional cream colored P90 covers which are very rare on this axe. Also love that binding effect against the white. My first choice would have been exactly this white version but they didn't have it, so I went w the tobacco burst. Also see that you have the same-- more TOM-style--roller bridge, versus the one that was on the other you'd originally bought. (That's the same bridge mine has, also the same logo on the truss cover, which has since changes to a more elegant font.)

Did you ever wind up going through with the purchase of pickups from Johan Lundgren for some hand wound Northen No. 2 type pickups? Curious how that went.. last we heard from you you were putting that together.

Anyhow glad you're back! Happy belated birthday.. you mentioned it passed?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:32 pm

Well, now that I just paid $300 for some Fralin P92s, the Lungrens at about that same price would have been fine. But, back then, it was more than I wanted to spend and I was more than a little worried about the foreign exchange. Paypal only, all paid in advance. Now, I see his side of the argument too but his business model didn't seem like it was set up particularly well . . .

But, I also got to liking those Saturday Night Specials in my CS6 anyway so that is working out too.

And, I haven't turned into a Gibson Troll by any means. But, I am selling my Lifeson Axcess so will then be down to just the 50th R9 which given my tendency to just drop things now, I am almost afraid to play it, and wanted a cheaper yet nice Les Paul to hammer on when the hands are cooperating. So, didn't want all the Gforce crap, the higher powered pups are not my thang, and wanted something sub-$2K. The Classic has 57 Classics that you already know I love, locking tuners, and was a Goldtop even. But, the neck pup sounded like complete butt, it was louder and boomier than the the bridge. So, I thought they might have screwed up and put the Classic + in the neck by accident. But, I never popped them out to see once I saw how bad the neck was on a nearly $2K guitar . . .

EDIT: Fortunately, Sweetwater's return policy is still pretty liberal. They even pay the return shipping. The Epiphone Tribute Plus left today. Should have it Thursday which is my actual birthday.

Just 2 of the many places where the binding nub doesn't quite reach the fret and those edges are SHARP when you catch one wrong! This is just dumb.

And, like I need another guitar, I made a Verb offer on one of these yesterday, and he took it . . . has those mellow TV Jones pups in it. Surviving near death experiences followed by a birthday are always a bad combination. I seem to recall spending too much money after the last one too. Oh well, can't take it with you, right?

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinpremiereltd_42555.html

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Godin makes a great guitar!
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Canon_M should like this post. Today, over on FB in one of the private Hagstrom players forums a guy puts up this photo

and wrote,

During 50 years of playing, I played and owned quite a few nice guitars, but this one beats them all.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:41 pm

There is no doubt when you get a good one. As you know all too well, I sadly went through several bad ones, being advertised as NEW and MINT, and they had severe issues so naturally I was getting pretty discouraged. Then I finally bit the bullet on a Northern and even it was obviously B stock given how amazing all the other Northerns I have seen look?

I was so in love with specifically those pups [but also combined with the tri-pup configuration on that scale] that I was determined to keep trying and was just about ready to pull the trigger over in the UK when that white one popped up on VERB so I grabbed it. Now it had some minor issues too but I got past that, some Gotoh Lockers on the other end, just a bit of nut work, and it is not only a keeper, I have had friends come over and compliment on how nice it looks, can't believe [even after adding the lockers] I have less than $600 in it. Then I turn on the Egnater and let them hear those wonderful pups . . . :applause:

Got the Godin today . . . all I can say so far is "wow!" Most youngsters would hate it cuz those pups are SO mellow but they are so articulate they are almost a single coil humbucker though I think the P92s in this Epi Dot might sound even better in it. And that Godin was really a surprise birthday gift since it is brand new and was almost $600 cheaper than what they sell for. Guy was just getting out of the business.

Here's a decent enough video of just the neck pup . . . [wish I felt better, the guitar deserves a better one though]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxrU_9J ... xrU_9JoI_4

Though those TV Jones pups don't sound BAD dirty, I've been getting into some jazz stuff lately they are perfect for and I like to play "just some" of my more bluesy stuff completely clean but cranked on that wonderful clean channel my Egnater has. BTW, those Hag P90s do "really" well at that too . . . Most people think of P90s as purely Raunch and Roar pups and they will certainly get up and do that but I love the way they sound clean too.

All in all, I want to go out making better music with cheaper guitars . . . plus just need to get my expensive Gibsons gone before I am gone since I don't have an Estate Executor I can rely on to get what they are worth.

Primarily just [2] Epis, [1] Hag, [2] Godins, [2] Carvins [though primarily just my CS6 cuz my 14 lb all walnut TL60 is such a heavy brick], and my Beck Strat when only a Strat will do. I have a Breedlove acoustic if my buddy Mark ever brings it back . . . Mark? Maaarrrkkk? All I can hear is frogs and crickets! He bought a really nice Harley. May never see Mark again . . .

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:57 am

That Godin sounds nice! I like that guitar. I might be having a really cool surprise coming up in that semi hollow department in about two weeks. Might be a major score.

On the Fralins, I'm just not a fan of hum cancelling P90s... Character unique to P90s winds up getting lost, and these are no exception. They're nice and rich and thick with harmonics, but they lack that straightforward sledgehammer attack and raspy tone that creates that divergence between buckers and P90s. They sound nice actually, but more like humbuckers. I just skip those sorts of pickups, just like a Strat, you just gotta deal with the hum.

And on the Hagstrom, I think part of the problem was the price you were paying for a new one and where you were looking to pay it. On each of the two Supers with the p90s on them that I was aware of, you were dipping down 200 bucks below rock bottom retail price for a new one, which generally goes from roughly 750 to 1400 in any store (look at these maniacs out on Sunset in LA charging $1800 for the axe plus some accessories ). Going on verb and looking to pay super low used price for a new one, it's definitely going to get you a project guitar or a fun little fixer upper. If you try and grab a new Les Paul Special for 500, or new Les Paul standard for 1500, you're almost definitely going to get an axe with issues. With instruments, if it's too good to be true, it usually is. The wholesale cost on those mic Supers to one of the biggest dealers on earth, Sam Ash is $600+. If someone is selling it new and below cost, alarm bells should go off. And if they were all used, then that's a different story altogether.

Anyhow enjoy that Godin and happy birthday Garth.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:53 am

Slowly replacing some of these lost bucket pics w new ones on Cube:

Swedish Sisters In The Morning Sunlight, Part Deux:

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Stop giving me GAS. I've got a build in process! :lol:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Return to Other Gear