Unique Les Paul Special ("Jr. Special Exclusive) coming in..

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Unique Les Paul Special ("Jr. Special Exclusive) coming in..

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:07 pm

Didn't know where else to put this, so I'll just throw it here since it concerns a Special:
This guitar, whose whole center section nearly ripped completely out with the neck and flew away..

is listed as being in "very good" condition on reverb.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Ugh. That picture hurts.

Also vaguely concerning specials: I just learned this exists: (stuff millennials say, right?)

1978-82 "The Paul": walnut neck/body, ebony board. Flat slab with a slight bevel and tummy cut. Hot diggetty dang! Maybe it's my peculiar tastes, but this is up there with the korina ex/vs. Except this should be a classic, but isn't. Only thing I'd change is the switch location. 'Pauls look "eyeless" without it on the top bout.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Oh yeah, I would bump into those things all the time when hunting Specials. Easy to mistake them for Specials except for the walnut body and the uncovered humbuckers. In many ways similar to a one-off Special from the past couple of decades loaded with buckers instead of P90's like these, which are pretty cool.

Pelham Blue ftw!

Gibson throws them out there here and there, probably from secondary slabs leftover from the planned lot of Specials and Juniors.

Slab body Gibsons of all kinds are always my preference, despite the mystery and allure of a Standard or a Custom (prefer the latter of the two because of the ebony board). They're lighter, snappier, and they sound woodier and sustain longer.. and they cut through mixes and onstage better. And with legit Gibson P90's, the Special is just heaven on earth, perfect for jazzy cleans on the neck, and screaming crunch chords on the bridge.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:08 pm

First Act (yes, the brand that sells guitars at Wal-Mart, but they used to have a custom shop in Boston that I think was run by some guys from the Gibson custom shop) had a model called Lola. It was a bit "try hard", but it was an LP-inspired body that had a bit of a bevel around the bottom. That was one aspect I always liked.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Looks like this thread has been hijacked so I'll join in :mrgreen:
100_2618.JPG

100_2627.JPG

100_2628.JPG

This is a Les Paul Special SL I had years ago. If I remember correctly it was a Musician's Friend exclusive. It was a return they had marked down for like $450 so I bought it without giving it much thought. Turned out to be one of the best guitars I ever played. It was just a mahogany body and neck, no top wood. Everything about it felt right and the 498t bridge pup was soooo good. I added the pickguard after I bought it.

Sadly I sold it about about 10 years ago when we were going through some financial rough spots. I miss that guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:23 am

That looks like a very cool guitar, a lot like the Pelham blue Special above (same slightly bumped PAF's/400 series pups too). All else being equal except for a top, many of those sound a lot nicer than a Standard/Studio because of the undressed body playing acoustically louder.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:05 pm

So I in my small and humble arsenal of six electric guitars, I have but one whose tuning stability goes straight into the dumper with, oftentimes, a single muscular bend on the G string. And that string goes out of tune almost in proportion to the size of the bend.

Gee... Wonder which uniquely annoying but otherwise totally frickin awesome guitar that could be? :think:

Seriously. I adore this guitar, and was lucky to get it, especially at the price that I did (although, like a great many Gibsons they're a bit too expensive to start with, though Specials, even special Specials like this one, are the lighter offenders in this category.. yes, off-Fender derrr).. but I really gotta get some new tuners, probably lockers installed on it to solve this nagging problem once and for all.

I have obvious contenders, but wonder if anyone would like to chime in and recommend a good replacement that they've used on their own Les Paul. This has the traditional old school button Kluson Deluxe tuners that went on the original Juniors and Specials.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Kluson just came out with the Revolution "G-Mount" (Gibson) locking tuner set that should be a drop-in replacement. The 19:1 gear ratio leads me to believe they're made by JinHo.

sinistas

Postby sinistas » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 am

This is my 2003 Faded Special w/ Humbuckers. It's been my main axe for about 6 1/2 years now. From time to time I want a change, but keep coming back to it.

Return to Other Gear