Unique Les Paul Special ("Jr. Special Exclusive) coming in..

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

ElfDude

Re: Unique Les Paul Special ("Jr. Special Exclusive) coming in..

Postby ElfDude » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Congrats, mate! Looks like it'll be a blast to play! :)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:00 am

It's like ear candy, it's a very resonant guitar, socially it's one of the better sounding Specials I've had in my hands.

On the other hand, typical Gibson bull shartski, g string slipping out of tune, low E strung buzzing... This thing needs a really good setup prontissimo. Email already sent to tech. It will be a beast, but it needs some corraling.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:44 am

Doctor Turn wrote:It's like ear candy, it's a very resonant guitar, socially it's one of the better sounding Specials I've had in my hands.

On the other hand, typical Gibson bull shartski, g string slipping out of tune, low E strung buzzing... This thing needs a really good setup prontissimo. Email already sent to tech. It will be a beast, but it needs some corraling.

Been thinking about getting a pro to set up mine as well.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:48 am

Doctor Turn wrote: It will be a beast, but it needs some corraling.

:laughhard:

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:47 am

Great find,Doc! Glad you were able to resolve the bridge/neck issues with minimal hassle (you mentioned in the razor fret thread). That's a nice color and much more appealing than I usually find LP's.

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:43 pm

That's excellent. NUGD is almost as good as NGD, they're pretty comparable.
Nicely done. 8)
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:41 pm

:applause: That is a great score! Congrats Doc. I see those often with bound Rosewood fret boards, but not often with the Ebony. I love Ebony Boards.
I've said it before, but..."Everybody should have at least 1 Les Paul". Glad to see you got yourself a Really cool one. ENJOY!
Some more feedback please, once you've put some miles on it. :)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks much gents--much appreciated all around. Related to the nutz discussion going on on the Solo thread, which focused for a few seconds on the utility of the P90... the Les Paul Junior and Special are the two eternally hip Gibson Les Pauls. Take a bunch of dirty junky punk guitarists on the lower East Side playing in the burbling underground (or what's left of it), take a cadre of shaggy haired classic rock dudes, stoners, emo people, grunge enthusiasts, Green Day maniacs like my little nephew in college right now slavering for Billy Joe A's signature LP Junior, authentic jazz and blues players, reggae lovers chasing Bob Marley's sound, and on and on--they all will say a Gibson les Paul Junior or Special (or Junior Special lol) is tres kool.. the P90-loaded Special or Junior is the single Gibson that always has street cred, is always cool with the punks because it's cheap, it's direct and has impact and it roars like nothing else on the planet. They're virtually considered the voice of punk (but that's pigeonholing them because of one aspect of them).

Whereas out on the street at ground level among players, the expensive Standard or Custom may be seen as ancient history, bloated and overpriced by today's kids, the P90's LP's are always happening. Even "the Captain" who runs Andertons in the UK and does the vids w Chapman, declares the Junior his favorite Les Paul of all.. this coming from a guy who has access to the highest of the high end recreations of 57-60, the priciest and most meticulous CS reissues from Gibbo.

In terms of actual sound, I'd have to agree with Doug & Pat (of the famous YT show) that there was not a lot of difference between the sound of the Les Paul Standard or Custom at it was running up to 56, and then after when the bucker was used. The primary difference of course was the removal of the hum--but sonically, it's not like the P90 is so drastically different from a humbucker.. it's different, but not THAT much different. Listen to a song like Mississippi Queen by Mountain... that's a thick clobbering tone that could easily be a bridge bucker. They're magnificent beefy, girthy pups and I love em to death!

The board/action after the bridge and stop were corrected, lightly dusted with a blessing of light cigaret ashes after an afternoon's work in the studio:
You can see on the day I rec'd it, some reason the stop tail was way up in the air on one side (the irregularity of the bridge is tough to see from this angle but it was as dramatic):
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:32 pm

So fun!

You're making me want to snap more pictures of mine. :)

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:37 pm

ElfDude wrote:So fun!

DO IT!!!!! :D

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 am

Ya mon.

Coolest Special ever?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:05 pm

One more thing I neglected to mention that makes this a one of a kind Special: the neck profile.

Width wise it's you're standard LP neck. In terms of profile, as they mentioned in the 2011 advertising for this run of Junior Specials, that is neither 50's Louisville Slugger, nor Sixties skinny. A blend of the two.

And that's literally what it feels like... Like someone sat down with a calculator and a t square and computed the exact middle ground between the two and carved it right THERE.

I can tell you it feels like nothing in my arsenal. When I first picked it up and played it I was like "Whoah! THAT'S interesting..." and it took a moment to get used to. It was a similar uniqueness to my hands that the 1972 HIIN had at first.

I'd say it's closer to the beefy side, in terms of feel, than the Ibby slim/1960 side. If you like a nice solid neck with some meat and shoulders, but don't quite wrap around a full 1950's Gibson that comfortably, then this is a great neck. Personally I love it.

All of my electrics have wildly opposing necks... Keeps me fluid. Even the two Super Swedes have different profiles (the 15" radius p90 edition having the Hagstrom standard "fastest neck in the world" touted very thin, wide specs, and the Northen has a 12" radius, thicker more traditional "1959-ish" profile).

Causes me to dig into each one every so slightly differently, enhancing the difference in tone and character, and what I would use each one for (and it's only five electrics... Not that many)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 am

In the spirit of Elf's shutterbug spirit, I snapped a couple new ones this morning:

Two takes on the 24.75 Special, both with an ebony board upgrade, one real, one reimagined with dream wood, humbuckers, and stereo wiring with switching possibilities up the wazoo.. love them both and they get along dearly:

Two takes on the P90 loaded Lester, one reimagined on the long scale.

And YES Elf... More pics please!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:15 am

Naked Ape wrote:
ElfDude wrote:So fun!

DO IT!!!!! :D

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:48 pm

I love the olive drab Carvin strap holding it up. Elf--how much would you say that MM weighs?

tl;dr dept:

Although I love my Hagstrom triple P90S axe on the long scale tremendously, and adore those pickups (which are actually, technically called H90-S by the company), there's still a place in everyone's arsenal for a good Gibson Les Paul, especially with P90's. The pickups on the Hagstrom have a great range of utility for a broad range of music from jazz to punk. They're almost an oxymoron in that they sound so much like the old Gibson Les Paul Standard goldtops, pre-57, and yet they have increased output and clarity that those dark monsters from yesteryear often lacked.

The Special however--this Special in particular--is having a great love affair with my X Amp. There are some guitars which are sort of "normal-to-meh" with this amp as it's speaker-wired at present (one of the reasons I want to switch to an Alnico CReamback in at least one position of the 2 x 12 cabinet, jettison the inherent v30 hi-mids on one side, and move along from there after observing the results), and then there are some which are just good. With its active suite of tone controls there's nothing that really sounds "bad" through it, but there are a couple that just sound ridiculously amazing through it.

I've had three that fell into that category (four actually including the Carvin 150, but that's ancient history):

1) the AVRI 1962 custom shop Fender Strat. It adored the X amp w/ the V30's. Now gone, unfortunately. I picked that one out of the old Sam Ash on 48th in the old days for it's unusually strong vintage honking tone--but at home w the X it just went ballistic.
2) the Hagstrom HIIN OT. Specifically the bridge pickup. I raised it up a little bit over the past week to put it into parity w the neck, and it quickly turned into my favorite bridge humbucker in my arsenal (over the Lundgren Alnico 2 on the Northen.. after all, Johan Lundgren wired those pups to imitate these originals). Those original Hagstrom Custom 58's from Sweden in the late 60's-70's, are the closest I've heard to a true "bullseye" PAF (some PAF's are just Nothing Special At All, being wound so inconsistently, and aging inconsistently), and the bridge specimen on that 1972 Hagstrom is off the chain and the amp reacts with the output from that pup like it's having an orgasm.

which takes me to

3) the Les Paul Jr. Special. This guitar is adored by this amp. Not so much on the standard distorted circuit, but when you "Pull Hi Lead" (which I really only use 50% of the time) which adds some presence and hi end scream, and carefully tweak the mid-to-hi suite on the graphic, it's literally like a turntable plugged into a hundred classic albums is feeding into the amp. The thickest, clobberingest, widest--sometimes a little admittedly muddy--beefiest single coil sound imaginable on the planet. And that's the bridge pup!

This guitar run through this amp does that spongy, wicked, girthy classic rock/Mountain-Leslie West crusher sound, like godly. For an absolutely killer heavy crunch sound, it is bigger and wider and meatier and more classic sounding than the H90's. The trade off is they lack definition and are not as versatile as the H90 (which have the added clarity boost of being on the long scale). And with 3 of those H90's and all of the permutations available, the Hagstrom is an infinitely more versatile, equally cool, probably more "tasty" sounding guitar. But for that wide, heavily dirtied, aggressive porterhouse.. this Les Paul Special cannot be touched by the Hagstrom. The Hag comes close, but in the end it's not the real thing. (Which is why I'm glad I have both.. there's so much the Gibby can't do).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:36 pm

You guys are making me jones for another P90 weapon. Luckily (or maybe not so luckily) my 13-pin setup allows me to model a vintage LPJ with P90 pickups. And it's pretty dang good! Although it feels a little dirty playing a 'P90 guitar' through a guitar with humbuckers....I need another guitar like I need another hole in my head.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Ain't nothing like the real thing, especially when it comes to P90's (they're inimitable, the real, 60 cycle humming deallyoh)--

DU --- ET!!!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I love the olive drab Carvin strap holding it up. Elf--how much would you say that MM weighs?

I haven't weighed it but it's very light due to the thinner body (same body and woods as the Les Paul Less and the Les Paul Custom Lite).

And I'm seriously thinking about changing out the bridge P-90 for a mini-humbucker... :think:

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:53 am

Matt, you are a true pickup prostitute. :mrgreen:
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:56 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Ain't nothing like the real thing, especially when it comes to P90's (they're inimitable, the real, 60 cycle humming deallyoh)--

DU --- ET!!!

Ain't that the truth. Honestly it's a little spooky playing an LPJ or Tele or Strat model through a different guitar because it is dead silent, as in zero noise floor. It's actually the hardest thing to get used to, you expect that hum and buzz and none is there!
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Return to Other Gear