What is going to be your next pedal?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: What is going to be your next pedal?

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:17 am

The sounds I've heard from that pedal, and the reviews, seem like it's a killer pedal. The price-point killed it for me, especially when a use L3 can be found for around the same price as pedal's new price. But, if you're wanting that sound in a compact form, and are happy with your power amp, it's still a good choice from what my ears heard. It definitely gets "that" sound.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brian Johnston » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:00 am

Further the the Legacy Drive... I was merely going to plug this into my Axe Fx II. I think it will work in that manner. Maybe I don't need it if I have the Axe Fx II... but even with legacy amps to choose from, I have been able to dial into a good Vai tone (also tried to download patches from the Axe Fx site, but found they did not sound that good... likely due to different guitars and pickups being used).

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:58 am

I'm building a second pedalboard to go with my 50 watt EVH amp. I'm looking for a really cool wah to slap on it. Not sure which one yet but it has to be one of those ones that doesn't have to be pushed on and off.

I use a Morely Bad Horsie 2 on the board I use with my Engl so I want something else for this one.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Are there any other brands besides Morley that use optical switching? I can't think of any. If you want to go with another Morley I suggest the Mark Tremonti Wah.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:29 am

Dunlop makes a Crybaby 95Q, which is switchless, but it doesn't seem to get the reviews the BH series does.

The EH crying tone is switchless, and uses a sensor to detect motion, so no pot or optical sensor, either, though it's hard to nail down to a pedalboard.

Ibanez Weeping Demon is another step-on design, but I've read too many reviews of it breaking, especially with heavy feet.

If you want to stick with Morley, the Tremonti would have a different (probably more traditional) sweep than the BH.

The most expensive (and probably most versatile) option would be the Sonuus Wahoo. Can be switchless, also MIDI controlled, has many presets, but uses analog filters that are digitally controlled (supposedly). They sound cool, and I'd probably snag one if it wasn't redundant.

Another option would be a Line6 M5 with an expression pedal. Just about any parameter can be set up on it, and I have used the big brother (M13) to control wah, and also roll the wah mix off to 0 as I back down, so it doesn't do that extreme bassy sound, but does the nasal/singing tone nicely, and acts like switchless.

For a dedicated wah, though, I have two: a BBE Ben-Wah and the BH2. Both are kind of similar-sounding, but the BH2 has been more reliable, and the switchless design has been super handy.

Sparky131
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Sparky131 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:20 am

I was thinking of updating the pedalboard, but now I'm not so sure. I have an old Bad Horsie wah that I've been wanting to replace. A friend of mine showed me the Cantrell crybaby wah and I loved it. But, I loved the switchless ability of the Morley. Thinking of the BH2 or the Tremonti.

Other than that, maybe replacing my Boss NS-2 with an ISP Decimator or a TC Sentry noise gate.
Guitars:
1992 DC127
2016 DC127
1993 Ibanez SR890

Amps:
Jet City JCA22H
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC112 Cab

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:39 am

I've tried the Boss and the ISP, and totally vote for the ISP. At extreme settings it can kill the sustain, which seems normal with noise gates in general, but it excels for machine-gun staccato runs. Turn it down some and it will kill the noise, while letting 95% of the sustain come through.

I used one for my 2016 Kiesel solo entry, and had the knob around 6.5. It was set just high enough to kill off the background hiss (using a Theta, which can have a ton of noise if set high), and not completely kill sustain. It was more distortion than I normally use, and was around 50% of the Theta's capability. Video viewable here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOz2FeztBis

Not the greatest demo of any pedal, but I think it gets the point across.

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Cynical wrote:Part of me wants a MXR 10-band EQ to use as a "non-clipping overdrive", Slayer-style (as opposed to my current usage of an Ibanez TS-9 with the drive set to 0).

I have the KFK version with 2 of them on one pedal. They are amazing especially in the loop on some amps to tone shape and tighten them up and focus.
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:32 am

slayer wrote:
Cynical wrote:Part of me wants a MXR 10-band EQ to use as a "non-clipping overdrive", Slayer-style (as opposed to my current usage of an Ibanez TS-9 with the drive set to 0).

I have the KFK version with 2 of them on one pedal. They are amazing especially in the loop on some amps to tone shape and tighten them up and focus.

Given your screen name, I would be surprised if you didn't have the KFK version :mrgreen:

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:09 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:
slayer wrote:

Given your screen name, I would be surprised if you didn't have the KFK version :mrgreen:

Touche man!! I haven`t liked anything by them for a long time now. They jumped the shark after Divine Intervention. I really miss Jeff Hanneman as well.
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:28 pm

I haven't listened to them much at all. Butthe KFK 10 band is a good pedal to have. Dual outputs, plus the wavy shapes are neat. I have one and like it.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am

slayer wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:
slayer wrote:

Touche man!! I haven`t liked anything by them for a long time now. They jumped the shark after Divine Intervention. I really miss Jeff Hanneman as well.

Huh, I liked World Painted Blood a lot more than anything they had done since South of Heaven.

Return to Other Gear