Gibson Woes...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Gibson Woes...

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 am

Wiring out of phase came before this guitar as well as guitar May built with his dad.

The"out of phase" sound on a Les Paul is also known as the "Peter Green Sound." He's the first guy to have used it. And regardless whether you believe it was due to Selmer repairing his burst wrong, or that Gibson screwed up the mags from the factory, it's the result of a happy accident that turned the Peter Green/Gary Moore Les Paul into the most famous Les Paul in the world. Dingleberry from Metallica has it now.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:36 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Was that a coil split you had on that Seventies Custom?

What's nice about that Norlin Custom is that it escaped the dread Clown Burst Syndrome that afflicted so many bursts from that era. Yours had a nice gradual gradient, which is how it should be.

None of those are my own guitars, but they're all pretty close likenesses. I don't know if any pictures of the actual guitars (or me with them) still exist, I think any we had were probably lost in Mom's Great Storage Locker Debacle a few years back. :(

The Kalamazoo was considerably more beat-up than the example, but the neck was super-skinny and played great. Pickups were like razors, all treble.

The Ibanez SG looks about right, except I took the pup covers off and juiced the pickups with an Alembic Hot Rod kit (which was every bit as good as advertised). After hotrodding, big fat sound like I love, but never cared for the bolt-on neck joint.

On my LPC, I changed the plastics to cream and the controls to gold speed knobs, removed the pickguard, and the neck pup was a Bill Lawrence twin blade (I traded the stock gold humbuckers for it). A friend with a drill press installed a coil-split and phase switch for me. The burst on mine as a bit narrower than the example, and the 3-piece top was pretty distinct (rather similar to Ace Frehley's Budokan top). I was a fool to part with That Damned Guitar.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:43 am

The original Fleetwood Mac, before Lindsay Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, et al.

Peter was one of the baddest dudes England.

https://youtu.be/O8RhZDGLEXM

And one of the most beautifully melancholy

https://youtu.be/gmuRc1Ypw9w

That take off albatross is so nice.. two bursts and a vintage strat living in perfect harmony.

Here's a discussion on the guitar.. before it got bought by the brat.

https://youtu.be/UHOdXWLrxPk

Here's an article where hammett talks about how and why he bought it
http://www.guitarworld.com/gear-news-el ... paul/29627
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:03 am

Casual Madman wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:Was that a coil split you had on that Seventies Custom?

What's nice about that Norlin Custom is that it escaped the dread Clown Burst Syndrome that afflicted so many bursts from that era. Yours had a nice gradual gradient, which is how it should be.

None of those are my own guitars, but they're all pretty close likenesses. I don't know if any pictures of the actual guitars (or me with them) still exist, I think any we had were probably lost in Mom's Great Storage Locker Debacle a few years back. :(

The Kalamazoo was considerably more beat-up than the example, but the neck was super-skinny and played great. Pickups were like razors, all treble.

The Ibanez SG looks about right, except I took the pup covers off and juiced the pickups with an Alembic Hot Rod kit (which was every bit as good as advertised). After hotrodding, big fat sound like I love, but never cared for the bolt-on neck joint.

On my LPC, I changed the plastics to cream and the controls to gold speed knobs, removed the pickguard, and the neck pup was a Bill Lawrence twin blade (I traded the stock gold humbuckers for it). A friend with a drill press installed a coil-split and phase switch for me. The burst on mine as a bit narrower than the example, and the 3-piece top was pretty distinct (rather similar to Ace Frehley's Budokan top). I was a fool to part with That Damned Guitar.

Ah okay.. because of the M22'S on it, I thought it was yours. I don't remember specifically, but that looks similar to the sofa that your old black DC 150 was on in that one picture you seem to still have of her since you sold her. I thought that was a brown leather chair too?

I'm probably brain damaged and an misremembering. Wouldn't be the first time.

Speaking of great vintage tone, I'm putting together a quick demo of this old Viking..
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:33 pm

I honestly don't think the fact that he used it will add a penny to the value of that Les Paul. I swear I'm not trying to be unpleasant or play devil's advocate.. this guitar was the most coveted Les Paul in the galaxy, worth in the ballpark of about half a million at the low end of very least. I seriously doubt there's a single guitar that Hammett owns or did own that has that value now, had that value once upon a time, or likely will have that value at any time in the future. He's s mortal piggybacking on the back of the gods.

That's my take. Now don't get me wrong.. I know Hammett means an awful lot to an awful lot of people. I just don't think the high end guitar collectors market attaches that kind of meaning to an instrument that he played in the past, even on the most vital Metallica albums.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
Casual Madman wrote:
Doctor Doug wrote:Almost every guitar I own is a variation of a Les Paul. LOVELOVELOVE!

I'm with you. For a good many of us, that configuration - single cut, carved top, double hums, weighty, set neck, shorter scale - just feels right.

I'm a big old boy - 6' 3", big hands, long spatulate fingers - so you'd think a longer scale, larger bodied axe would fit me better.

Nope. Not generally. I did bond well with my the late, lamented Destroyer (shorter scale, but bigger body) - but no other flattop has ever suited me. Including, sadly, my ST300.

Ever play a slab Les Paul style axe, ie same build style just without the carved top,? Or are you partial to having a maple cap on there too? I've always had them both ways, but I do tend to notice that the slab bodies tend to sing louder. They seem to have a fuller set of lungs. Probably no coincidence that Les himself preferred just a slab of mahogany with no maple cap...

But there is definite wisdom in this thread. Just took in my 4th 24.75 scale/PAF style humbucker guitar this week. And my two 25.5 scale axes... Are thick slab single cuts with buckers and PAFS. :lol:

I haven't yet, but I'd love to get my hands on one.

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Wiring out of phase came before this guitar as well as guitar May built with his dad.

The"out of phase" sound on a Les Paul is also known as the "Peter Green Sound." He's the first guy to have used it. And regardless whether you believe it was due to Selmer repairing his burst wrong, or that Gibson screwed up the mags from the factory, it's the result of a happy accident that turned the Peter Green/Gary Moore Les Paul into the most famous Les Paul in the world. Dingleberry from Metallica has it now.

A ton of Hamers were wired out of phase that had 2 humbuckers. My 2001 Studio Custom has this and it sounds great!
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:12 am

I had never looked this up, but apparently Hammett paid about 2 million for the Greeny/Moore Les Paul--

http://www.guitarworld.com/kirk-hammett ... tion/25904
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I had never looked this up, but apparently Hammett paid about 2 million for the Greeny/Moore Les Paul--

http://www.guitarworld.com/kirk-hammett ... tion/25904

I know Hammet has his fans and his haters. Either way, I'm glad the guitar gets played and isn't just hanging on a wall somewhere.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:34 am

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: No Namm?...

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 pm

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Whoa... :shock:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:19 pm

I suppose you've all seen this by now...

Gibson-custom_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Which was announced along with the (I'm not kidding) Special Chinese New Year Les Paul:

The official chibson?

I think it's The Year Of the Ugly Guitar Shape... All around.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Geez...... It's embarrassing already. Why so many misses?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 pm

What in the name of all that is holy is that thing? Holy cow. I'm not opposed to the concept or even the beginning of *some* of the things they wanted to incorporate, but, man... Talk about going off the deep end!

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:02 am

What's wrong with trying to get into the Chinese market? :laughhard:
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:57 am

This is the weirdest thing. I was looking at this year's line of Les Paul Standard ("T" line), and checking out their "Mojave Burst" which is kind of a "desert burst" or even like a honey burst but really drained of all other red color from the darker trim to where it's just ghost traces.. like this here is a nice example of a 2018 Mojave Burst, with a decently matched flame top (AAA):

Really, REALLY nice, right? Gorgeous, actually, if you ask me. Now check out the landing page for the 2018 Gibson Les Paul Standard T w Mojave Burst selected:

link here.

But these are the images I mean:

To interest you in this color selection, one of 4 color options this year, they present you with horrendously mismatched flame tops.. mismatched in every possible way.. and in every possible photo angle:

What's up with this? What do they have a huge surplus of the other colors and they're trying to push people away from buying this one? I wouldn't want one because of the Burstbuckers (Pro, no less), but they're really nice in well selected and assembled examples.

Another nice, very delicate example:

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ilyti
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ilyti » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:16 pm

That is a really, really nice burst in the final photo. In the first one the rosewood board looks so dry its about to crack and splinter.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:49 pm

That is Chatoyance.(I know... You know that :wink: ) But the photographer did a terrible job, and the marketing dept. should have NEVER approved those photos.
I once commented on how Gibsons have tremendous chatoyance, while Carvin/Kiesels flame looked the same, no matter what the angle or lighting. (I like both...depends on my mood)
I always remember seeing Jimmy Page's Les Paul looking like these photos while on stage. Then he would turn, and the guitar would do a hologram-like switch to the other side.

The 1st and last photos are beauties.

Return to Other Gear