Gibson Woes...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Gibson Woes...

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:33 pm

It's so severe though. :shock: This is something you see from time to time on well bookmatched tops, but not often.. at least not from what I see. Usually tops are more harmonious and respond in a more uniform way versus angle changes (my koa guitar, if you look at it from above, all of the horizontal flame and quilt vanishes and it's just a "coffee bean" (bird eye style artifacts) or two set against massive vertical stripes, seen from the bottom up all the horizontal stuff appears and the up down strips recede a bit. My flame top Hag--seen from above they turn into the weakest sort of limpid flame,get around the knobs or just in front and they're your typical 3a stuff, but tough to make one side look so out of whack with the other.

On the Gibby it just looks so terrible--there's nothing particularly unique about that angle on the website page show piece, versus the first and last ones, but it just looks awful. These are 3 different shots of the same guitar, and they just magically happened to find the most imbalanced angle of chatoyance of 1 side versus the other for each shot? Regardless the reason, I can't understand why they chose these photos/specific guitar to represent the model to America.. :lol:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:37 pm

It's better than the actual cracked headstock they had on their official website for months (and might still). :lol:

https://www.gearnews.com/gibson-les-pau ... eadstocks/

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Yeah I remember posting about that here, the guy who knows the guy who had to take the photo posted on it in FB right when the story began to break. It's on one of the threads around here.

People were saying, "Truth in advertising?" :roll:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:03 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Yeah I remember posting about that here, the guy who knows the guy who had to take the photo posted on it in FB right when the story began to break. It's on one of the threads around here.

People were saying, "Truth in advertising?" :roll:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Because those who crave Ugly must not be forgotten?

"Les Paul Custom Ice Flame" $8100 of fugliness. :shock: :shock:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:30 pm

I can respect that guitar only due to the presumed amount of work that went in to create it, including the over-indulgent flame inlays, but I could not respect the person who buys it, as it's just a signifier of opulence and excess in a grand way. Also fugly.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:20 pm

A-and revealed.

"Flying Eagle" SG, flamed koa top... pretty cool. I could do without the fancy inlays and the $8200 totally laughable price tag.

Gibson must have Rush and Locker Room in combination wafting into their HVAC system with their new pricing structure. They come out with something folks might be willing to buy even at maybe 3-4 grand (which would give a nice profit), and price it completely out of everyone's reach except for a few rich men who can't play guitar.

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:52 pm

At the end of the day, I suppose I'm not much of a Gibson fan. Too pricey, IMO. Also, their flamed maple seems to rarely be as good as what I routinely see from Kiesel (not that I would buy a super expensive one anyway). The broken headstocks are a real thing, too. Thankfully I have never had it happen to me.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:23 pm

Slap some regular MOP blocks and headstock inlays, and I would like that one. Oh, get rid of the gold truss rod cover, and those tuner knobs too.
Is that a "Retail" price?
Gibson loves to put a HUGE retail price on guitars, but "Street" price is usually significantly less. A Gibson I bought, had a retail price of $3449. It advertised at $2269, and I paid $1699. (NOT on closeout) A bit of haggling on a limited run model.

That's a nice SG.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Just some random dude on FB posted his LP near the window. But marone a mi, what a photo. . . it actually looks like the board has maple applique binding like my high end Super Swede.

The picture in the dictionary next to the word "bitchin'."
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Wow! Gibson found a way to make an uglier V than the Roswell Rhoads.

Doctor Turn wrote:A-and revealed.

"Flying Eagle" SG, flamed koa top... pretty cool. I could do without the fancy inlays and the $8200 totally laughable price tag.

Gibson must have Rush and Locker Room in combination wafting into their HVAC system with their new pricing structure. They come out with something folks might be willing to buy even at maybe 3-4 grand (which would give a nice profit), and price it completely out of everyone's reach except for a few rich men who can't play guitar.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 am

^^^Unlike some comments here^^^

THIS IS CLASSY!!!!!!! What an Absolutely STUNNING Guitar.
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 3.46.55 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:41 am

yea I don't get the crazy negative comments about Gibson guitars, as it is very true that actual retail prices are always different from whatever crazy prices they use to advertise. Any Gibson dealer will tell you that Gibson has some crazy strict rules about the prices retailers are allowed to show on store websites.

I think it is silly to say that people are crazy or stupid for buying X or Y guitar brand at whatever price. Everybody spends money in whatever they like. Let them! And if somebody is a wealthy collector that buys expensive guitars but does not play them...who cares? Well...at least I don't :lol:
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:30 am

You know... that ugly V...
I could actually see myself playing that one in my 50s-60s trio.
But I'm not willing to pay a price like that for a guitar that would essentially be a novelty. 8)
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:18 am

Doctor Turn wrote:marone a mi,

The second generation Italian in my appreciates this...

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 am

DannyB819 wrote:

Northeastern Bronx boy.. old school Italian hood.. neighbors and friends w tomatoes in backyard, wine grapes winding along fences and basement wine... conversations like an episode of The Sopranos.

Bob77 wrote:yea I don't get the crazy negative comments about Gibson guitars, as it is very true that actual retail prices are always different from whatever crazy prices they use to advertise. Any Gibson dealer will tell you that Gibson has some crazy strict rules about the prices retailers are allowed to show on store websites.

I think it is silly to say that people are crazy or stupid for buying X or Y guitar brand at whatever price. Everybody spends money in whatever they like. Let them! And if somebody is a wealthy collector that buys expensive guitars but does not play them...who cares? Well...at least I don't :lol:

I see, Mr Purity. :laughhard:

But yet.. things that Kiesel does earns a classical Bob, "Can somebody please explain to me (why Kiesel is making another headless, and what is the attraction to headless??), (why people want Jeff to sign guitars, I just don't understand), (the sale price of Kiesel NAMM guitars,) (etc)" but if Gibson marks a guitar up into the stratosphere to where 99% of most players can't afford it... who cares? you think it's silly to even mention it. :lol:

Yep. ------->You're a Gibson fanboy :lol: Nothing wrong with that, and you're absolutely allowed to ask those questions I mimicked above (all of which you did ask in one form or another just over the past 2-3 weeks).

This is all meant is friendly ribbing (goofy needling can read as serious attacks on the web, and I'm just friendily reminding you that when you don't "get" something... you happily bring it up. :stir:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
DannyB819 wrote:

Northeastern Bronx boy.. old school Italian hood.. neighbors and friends w tomatoes in backyard, wine grapes winding along fences and basement wine... conversations like an episode of The Sopranos.

Bob77 wrote:yea I don't get the crazy negative comments about Gibson guitars, as it is very true that actual retail prices are always different from whatever crazy prices they use to advertise. Any Gibson dealer will tell you that Gibson has some crazy strict rules about the prices retailers are allowed to show on store websites.

I see, Mr Purity. :laughhard:

But yet.. things that Kiesel does earns a classical Bob, "Can somebody please explain to me (why Kiesel is making another headless, and what is the attraction to headless??), (why people want Jeff to sign guitars, I just don't understand), (the sale price of Kiesel NAMM guitars,) (etc)" but if Gibson marks a guitar up into the stratosphere to where 99% of most players can't afford it... who cares? you think it's silly to even mention it. :lol:

Yep. ------->You're a Gibson fanboy :lol: Nothing wrong with that, and you're absolutely allowed to ask those questions I mimicked above (all of which you did ask in one form or another just over the past 2-3 weeks).

This is all meant is friendly ribbing (goofy needling can read as serious attacks on the web, and I'm just friendily reminding you that when you don't "get" something... you happily bring it up. :stir:

Did you go to law school or something? :laughhard:

It's all good. Gotta have fun BSing in online forums talking to virtual strangers. I bring stuff that I don't "get" here on THIS forum. I do directly to the guys that are into these products and have more experience with them than I do. You won't find me asking those questions on other company's forums :naughty:

I said a few times before that I like gibson's semi-hollow/fully hollow guitars. I could care less about their solid body guitars and acoustics. Actually, most regular production Les Pauls you find in stores plain suck. So..how does that make me a Gibson "fan boy" exactly lol? :lol:

Do you know why I said it is silly that people on this forum rant some other company's odd looking overpriced guitars? Let's look at that Kiesel double-neck on the GIS for over 8 grand :ninja:

:rockon:
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:24 am

Defining the word"woes," man. Things are getting tightywhiteystainy:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/ ... me-rapidly
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Bob77 wrote:[

Do you know why I said it is silly that people on this forum rant some other company's odd looking overpriced guitars? Let's look at that Kiesel double-neck on the GIS for over 8 grand :ninja:

:rockon:

TOOOOOtally agreed, I was one of the guys who laughed his galoot off on that one, as soon as it appeared.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 pm

And now, for your consideration......

https://reverb.com/news/gibson-nods-to- ... _source=FB

Return to Other Gear