Gibson Woes...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Gibson Woes...

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:02 pm

The one local to me has the high-end stuff (reissues/vintage/oddball) all in one room, right next to the main kiosk, where they *will* give the evil eye to anyone who walks in the room. I was nearly asked to leave for comparing my then newly-minted V6 to a Les Paul. They weren't chained up, however.

Speaking of that, you should go to that store, grab an amp, get them to unchain one of those guitars, and then play the into to "Unchained," on it....just for the massive pun that would be. Make it loud to where they ask you to leave. Walk out, and never look back.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Ha, well, it's not like they would learn anything from the experience, so it would just be making the day annoying for the people who have to work there. ;)

Going back to all of the music stores I've been in since starting guitar in the 80s in rural/suburban Wisconsin, I can only think of two stores that had comfortable seating (other than just the occasional stool). The sofas were right next to the counter and next to the sheet music, and virtually exclusively used by parents while they waited while their kids were taking/finishing their lessons. :lol:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:48 pm

:lol: The new Ed Sheeran Les Paul (from FB)

Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:35 pm

You know what they say: "There's no money above the 5th fret."

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:48 am

Why is it that Gibson places their truss rod covers in what I'd call an inverted position? The shape is obviously similar to their headstock. Why not make it match, or is it supposed to be something like a bell?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:55 am

They're generally referred to/thought of as Bell (shaped) Truss Rod Covers.

One of the simple, cheap little details forgers tend to miss is they mount their covers with three screws instead of two. The bell cover always mounts with two.
ALLParts:
PG-9485-023 Bell Shaped Truss Rod Cover for Gibson®
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:23 am

Guild inverts them, and it matches the headstock shape more...I always thought it looked better. Ah well, at least I now know the shape Gibson claims it to be.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:25 pm

I always thought they looked kind of like a condom. With a hole in the end. :laughhard:

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:54 pm

I first discovered guitar center in Los Angeles (1990?)
It was a cool store. If you bought strings, the sales guy would just ask what you'd normally pay and then match it - and I could buy strings dirt cheap at MI!
It was filled with cool guitars and amps. I loved to pop in and check stuff out.

Fast forward years later and the chain came to NJ.
Those early stores all started off well enough but definitely turned to garbage as time rolled by.
I miss the days when managers would wheel and deal a bit and actually give a crap.

Luckily I have at least one cool local shop - with comfy couches, chairs, and stools!!
They're awesome in the amp and pedal dept, guitars not so much. Minimal variety.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Casual Madman wrote:I always thought they looked kind of like a condom. With a hole in the end. :laughhard:

Broken condom style ... :lol:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:39 am

.....and that's how Gibsons are made.

gpbarnett
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby gpbarnett » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:51 pm

If I had a bajillion dollars to spare, and wanted to get into the guitar business:

1. Wait for Gibson to file for bankruptcy
2. Buy the Gibson company
3. Sell off everything but Gibson and Epiphone
4. Continue to sell Epiphone in retailers. If they haven't already done so, move production overseas, probably Korea or Mexico.
5. Switch all Gibson branded guitars over to the Kiesel online/phone sales model (have a few in stock, but generally have all guitars built to order by skilled workers in the USA where I can keep my eyes on them).
6. ...
7. profit

I'd put massive efforts into quality control, as I've read many complaints about the quality of recent Gibsons (haven't tried any, so I don't know if the complaints are an accurate representation).

I've gotten so used to being able to get something custom built, that is at least close to my ideal specifications, that I am rarely tempted by any guitar I find in a retail music shop. The last one I bought "off the rack" was a Fender Duo Sonic, to scratch the itch for a 24" scale guitar. If I had realized that Rondo offered (not sure if they did when I bought the Fender) 24" on their semi-custom guitars, I could have gotten something much closer to what I really wanted (2 humbuckers, tilt back headstock, set neck or neck through, trans finish) instead of 2 singles, bolt on, etc. If a big company like Gibson went semi-custom build to order like Kiesel, I think it would change the entire industry. There haven't been any Gibsons close enough to what I want to actually buy, but if I could have configured to my taste for a reasonable amount of money, I might have bought.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:43 am

gpbarnett wrote:If I had a bajillion dollars to spare, and wanted to get into the guitar business ...

Half a bajillion woould probably suffice. :wink:

The only real speedbump I can see with this business model is the sheer volume of people buying Gibsons. I don't know what happens to all of them, but the annually-produced tens of thousands of Les Pauls alone go somewhere. If production had to be adjusted to meet even 75-80% individually-specced orders, the volume couldn't be sustained anywhere near the current level.

That might not necessarily be a bad thing.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Casual Madman wrote:
gpbarnett wrote:If I had a bajillion dollars to spare, and wanted to get into the guitar business ...

Half a bajillion woould probably suffice. :wink:

The only real speedbump I can see with this business model is the sheer volume of people buying Gibsons. I don't know what happens to all of them, but the annually-produced tens of thousands of Les Pauls alone go somewhere. If production had to be adjusted to meet even 75-80% individually-specced orders, the volume couldn't be sustained anywhere near the current level.

Exactly.

People seem to forget that the volume of guitars these big companies make is huge. Kiesel probably makes a tiny fraction by comparison.

And...I wouldn't be surprised if Kiesel expands to other products besides instruments down the road. Heck...bring us some Kiesel branded amps lol
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

gpbarnett
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby gpbarnett » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Bob77 wrote:And...I wouldn't be surprised if Kiesel expands to other products besides instruments down the road. Heck...bring us some Kiesel branded amps lol

If Kiesel ever does expand, I hope they start building drums (probably just the shells, use existing hardware/cymbals/heads).

If Jeff's kids end up being passionate about something music related other than guitars, that would be a good reason to expand. Otherwise, I have no problem with Kiesel sticking to guitars/basses.

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:09 pm

wickid wrote:
Casual Madman wrote:I always thought they looked kind of like a condom. With a hole in the end. :laughhard:

Broken condom style ... :lol:

When the song Gangnam Style first came out, for the longest time, I thought he was saying Condom Star.

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:11 pm

gpbarnett wrote:
Bob77 wrote:And...I wouldn't be surprised if Kiesel expands to other products besides instruments down the road. Heck...bring us some Kiesel branded amps lol

If Kiesel ever does expand, I hope they start building drums (probably just the shells, use existing hardware/cymbals/heads).

I vaguely remember seeing a photo of a drum kit in the old Carvin factory. Can't remember if it was an experimental Carvin design, or just a personal kit that Jeff messed around with. I'm sure Spud can find the pic. :wink:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm

It's Jeff's personal, and was a prototype kit for a possible line of Carvin drums, but they decided against going forward with it. I don't recall ever seeing a photo, though. :think: And I know there was a thread about it, but I can't find it.

edit: nevermind, found the thread. :)
http://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtop ... 59#p617659

Mike Jones wrote:Huh... So that's what this is... Neat.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Since Kiesel is the of king of exotic woods...man, that would be amazing to see a line of drums with crazy looking exotic woods.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Bob77 wrote:Since Kiesel is the of king of exotic woods...man, that would be amazing to see a line of drums with crazy looking exotic woods.

I can see it now. Beveled drums. Headless.

:mrgreen:

Return to Other Gear