Gibson Woes...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Gibson Woes...

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:50 am

wickid wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:The crazy thing about that "look to your maternal grandfather for your baldness future" thing:

:hijack:
:?: I always thought it was paternal. Or maybe that's because I have my Dad's Dad's MPB?
... carry on ... :wink:

Maternal. At least that's the way they say it's "supposed" to be.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and ... ess-on-mom
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 am

It can come from both sides, apparently. My maternal grandpa had thinning hair by the time he died in his 70s. My dad was bald after a few years in the military (also was the only one in his family with any baldness, from either line). The redeeming quality is that both sides had great beard-growing prowess, so as my beard thickens, my top hair thins. Gravity taking effect in one way or another, I suppose.

My son is probably doomed, though, since his maternal grandfather has MPB, and then I have the balding crown. At least he has thick curls now (his mother's hair).

Maybe Gibson is going out of business because many of us are going/have gone bald. :think:
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Without question, like I said above. I stated the "rule" or "thing to look to" when trying to predict the future of (or ex post facto try to determine the cause of) your hair loss is you're supposed to look at your maternal grandfather... that my brothers and I bucked that "rule" big time. And I'm sure there are many other examples of that trend being defied. The one great grandfather I never met is on my father's fathers side. I met my paternal grandmother's father, which is my german-irish side, but I never met my father's father's father. He never came to the USA from Europe.. so my dad never met him (I don't think) either. I'd like to ask him, actually.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Interestingly, my father and both of my grandparents have full heads of hair. Snowy white, but basically a full head of hair. My younger brother however, has a receding hairline that started when he was about 20. I suspect by the time he hits 40, he will likely start shaving his head. I don't think I seen a photo of him from the last decade + where he wasn't wearing a hat.

I am the lucky one, I guess. This thread is already full of ugly, so...
Screenshot_20180221-121219.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:05 pm

From FB/"post a pic w one of your Carvins,"

One ugly pile of hair w a face, and his girlfriend in a pretty goofy pic. :lol:

Also a great example of how horizontal flame and figure disappears when looked at from up the neck. Happens w all my guitars.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Look at this dazzling beauty: all wood SE Gibson Les Paul:

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:37 pm

While we're bragging about our ability to keep hair.....I'm pushing 40 and still have it.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:While we're bragging about our ability to keep hair.....I'm pushing 40 and still have it.

Good job, genetics.

Props for the Epiphone LPC, too.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Casual Madman wrote:
Doctor Doug wrote:While we're bragging about our ability to keep hair.....I'm pushing 40 and still have it.

Good job, genetics.

Props for the Epiphone LPC, too.

I like that guitar so much that I have a duplicate!

sinistas

Postby sinistas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:00 am

I shaved my head at 23. It was a great decision.
Last edited by sinistas on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:26 pm

The apparent source of Gibson's woes...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/gibson-b ... ar-stores/

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:54 pm

Gibson shares the blame, but much of what he's saying about the chain retailers is absolutely true. They're awful to the nth degree.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:03 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Gibson shares the blame, but much of what he's saying about the chain retailers is absolutely true. They're awful to the nth degree.

I agree!!!!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:41 am

Decent little article. Gibson is partly to blame, for sure (one has to be responsible for their business). WIth that said, I think he's correct about online retailers taking over. It's annoying for me when I find things online that I can't find locally, plus it's usually cheaper. I would prefer supporting local businesses, but sometimes that just doesn't happen.

Another issue cited in that article is the economic situation this side of 2008. Despite hearing that we've rebounded since, I just don't see it with the common, everyday person. The money is super tight in general, so the first thing to go are luxuries, especially the more expensive ones (and Gibson is not something I classify as cheap).

There are other economic things, and really this affects everyone, though I think Gibson, and other music brands will continue to suffer until the economy either rights itself, or something changes in terms of pricing. Get ready to possibly have all foreign made instruments (not that they're bad now...some are great).

My morning half-waking rant.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:24 am

That article makes strange points. It says stores are to blame because:

- they don't have chairs. Umm..ok...
- "well, Apple let's you play with their most expensive items", the difference being that it sits on a desk, and if you decide you want it, you get an identical one of the shelf in a box. If you say you want to try out the one in the box because they are so different, you might end up with a different result.

It also ignored many of the rules they put in their dealers, which seem harsh (to someone who doesn't really know much about business management... Like me).

Also, I'm not sure what they mean about being afraid of online selling. The three local shops worth going to all have online stores.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:57 pm

If you came to NYC and shopped in Sam Ash or especially Guitar Center, good lord you'd understand. The atmosphere, knowledge base, and user friendliness is completely derpy. I used to play 1957 Les Pauls back in the day in the early 80's in Manny's and the rest of 48th Street. Just to play a 60's Firebird you practically have to apply for a security clearance. It's a store with a shopping mall vibe designed for middle American gleeks. These are not stores designed for committed players in the slightest.

The majority of the blame is Gibson's, no doubt. But the modern chain music store is a disaster for the sale of high end instruments. You cringe the moment you walk in.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Well, the only reason I personally stop at chain stores, is just to wander around and waste time, or take a look at the used pedals and guitars. Otherwise, if I want to try out something nice, I'll go to three other local non-chain stores before stopping at a Guitar Center.

But none of them have chairs. Although, I will chalk that up to Bay Area real estate prices, and not being able to spare the square footage of a chair for something that doesn't produce revenue. Ha!

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:56 pm

I started to read the story above with a already bad cry me a river attitude. But he makes some good points about retail.
I hate guitar center. Sam ash is only slightly better. I have two stores here in Dallas I deal with. Both treat me like family. Well they treat me like a good customer who spends money anyway. I find one online retailer (sweetwater) to provide excellent customer care. I have a Sales Engineer that knows my voice and my preferences. Back when Carvin was smaller I really enjoyed doing business with them.

Take care of me and I will come back and refer your business. No major music store has ever tried to earn my loyalty.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:16 am

texastoast wrote:... I find one online retailer (sweetwater) to provide excellent customer care. I have a Sales Engineer that knows my voice and my preferences. ....

I just ordered from SW for the 1st time. (Elixir Optiwebs, I think.) I was totally surprised when they called my home phone (and left a msg). It was an odd feeling actually. And I got some of their fireball candies. :D
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:50 am

And on the chair thing: you just cannot underestimate how important that is, creating a user friendly environment for people to feel welcome playing the instruments. Guitar Center has some chairs put out from time to time, Sam Ash virtually none. I'll never forget when I went to pick up my P90 Super Swede (not the high end Northen, I had to get that from Rosetti UK thru a Scottish dealer) at Sam Ash in 2016, one of the employees asked me to please keep it down the moment I plugged in.

"I'm sorry, guy, I'm picking up an order here for my first Made In China guitar ever; I'm going to run through all the positions and play the thing." He looked at me as though I was impudently challenging the authority of a human resources manager. I thwacked away. Even my sales rep looked at the guy like he was nuts. All of the decent to great guitars are behind the counter in layers going way up to a nearly 20 foot ceiling, and usually the counter guy is talking to someone, and you have to 1) pull them away from someone or wait until they're done, they have to 2) get a ladder and climb up and tweeze something down, then you have to 3) find a powered amp on the floor and sit on that or find the rare chair that's usually not on the floor. Most of the time I just say "F^$# it," and walk out. It takes too long and you feel like you're making the planet come to a screeching halt and *crickets* because you're putting them thru this.

Then Guitar Center is just a zoo of tons of school kids cutting class, on lunch, or after school, crowding around their two friends who can kind of play, and they usually have an ESP or Ibby blasting through an Orange or a Marshall combo, playing some ACDC major chords or doing the same chugs. Most of their floor models are hardly playable because of the way GC is like the "Starbucks" of music stores (and I mean that because they allow them to use it like its a "third space" a la Starbucks, ie there's work, there's home, then there's that "third space" where you feel able to spend long stretches of your day), and I think it's a mistake. It makes professionals and those looking to spend real money, feel out of place.

I think it's a mistake for GC to have allowed this situation to develop. It turns their instruments to filthy, cheetoed mush, it turns the staff cranky, and the folks who wind up working there are just slightly older versions of the noodling gleeks (remember Gleek the special monkey with the Wonder Twins?) on the Orange Amps and ESP's, any really good guitar is kept off the floor, the LP Standards and Trads that do make it out there usually have something wrong with them. The one exception seems to be Fender: kids tend to not play Strats, Teles and Jazzmasters very much. They actually have a separate room set up for higher end Fenders, the AVRI's and relic-ed, which is almost a literal sanctuary.. but they don't have one for Gibsons with the high end Custom Shop reissues and special eds. Which makes zero sense.

As far as vintage guitars go, there's a separate room for that as well, but those guitars, like 60's Teles, Firebirds, Gretsch, etc (you're not going to see any 50's Gibson solidbodies) are literally held in place with chains and combination lock. There is rarely anyone in there dedicated to the room, so you literally have to find someone to go and UNCHAIN a silly 60's non reverse Firebird or something. It's unlike any sort of retail music experience, anywhere, ever.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear