Gibson Woes...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Gibson Woes...

Postby colossal » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 am

Doctor Turn wrote:"Nice to see he plays guitar as well as he runs the company."

You misspelled ruins, Doc :lol:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:27 am

colossal wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:"Nice to see he plays guitar as well as he runs the company."

You misspelled ruins, Doc :lol:

:applause:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:30 am

Treadplatedual wrote:
ElfDude wrote:I'm still the worst player in this forum, but maybe I'm not so bad after all.

That's got to be a spoof video, right? Right?...

I assumed it was real. It's also up on youtube and nobody is suggesting it's fake....
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Treadplatedual
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Treadplatedual » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
Treadplatedual wrote:
ElfDude wrote:I'm still the worst player in this forum, but maybe I'm not so bad after all.

That's got to be a spoof video, right? Right?...

I assumed it was real. It's also up on youtube and nobody is suggesting it's fake....

Lol...yeah, it was more of an ironic rhetorical question. Stands to reason now why he wanted to become a lifestyle brand, rather than a musical instrument brand.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s
2017 A6H - Lithiums

2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio - 490R & 498T

1970s Westone MIJ Test-mule

Pod HD500x
Eleven Rack
Boss Katana (For the funzies)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:47 pm

There was already lots of music store talk here, and i didn't think this was worth it's own thread, but here we go.

Today I made a trip to really the only nearby "mom & pop" music store worth going to, in terms of electric guitars. I heard they did a remodel. They did, and it looks great. They still carry Fender, Gibson, Knaggs, Suhr, Anderson, Ibanez, Rickenbacker, and PRS, but it seemed like they had less PRS than before. Their counter, with a glass-front display case, now ran almost the full depth of the store, giving more display space for pedals, and...saxophone mouthpiece holders.

However, after the initial 3 second first impression of the remodel, I quickly thought, "Oh...hold on..."

I'm 5'9" (5'10 in shoes, 6' in heels). In the entire store, the only electric guitars where the lowest point of the body was below the tippy-top of my head were Fender Telecasters. It's one row hanging on the wall, and three floor stands, each with about 8 telecasters on them. Above that there was one row of misc Fenders like Duo Sonics, etc. Every other guitar in the store, I'd either have to reach higher than my full height, or worse, all of their Ibanezes were on the wall behind the counter, with the bottoms of the hanging guitars being at least 7-8 ft up. Even things like that Iron Label RGD or whatever it is that kinda sorts look similar to some of the Aqua/ash Aries builds were effectively un=touchable without asking for a sales person to get a ladder to get it down from high on the wall behind the counter. This is also where every one of their Gibsons were.

And surprisingly, even though every telecaster they had was playable and readily accessible, they had not one tele between $199 and $900. They had none of what is considered by most the value-for-dollar champion of the century, the Classic Vibe or Modern Player lines.

While the remodel seemed to give them more display space (maybe not, though...)...they ended up not having the actual accessory i wanted, so I left empty handed, after trying out a lovely and inexpensive Ibanez 12-string acoustic.

Treadplatedual
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Treadplatedual » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:54 pm

spudmunkey wrote:There was already lots of music store talk here, and i didn't think this was worth it's own thread, but here we go.

Today I made a trip to really the only nearby "mom & pop" music store worth going to, in terms of electric guitars. I heard they did a remodel. They did, and it looks great. They still carry Fender, Gibson, Knaggs, Suhr, Anderson, Ibanez, Rickenbacker, and PRS, but it seemed like they had less PRS than before. Their counter, with a glass-front display case, now ran almost the full depth of the store, giving more display space for pedals, and...saxophone mouthpiece holders.

However, after the initial 3 second first impression of the remodel, I quickly thought, "Oh...hold on..."

I'm 5'9" (5'10 in shoes, 6' in heels). In the entire store, the only electric guitars where the lowest point of the body was below the tippy-top of my head were Fender Telecasters. It's one row hanging on the wall, and three floor stands, each with about 8 telecasters on them. Above that there was one row of misc Fenders like Duo Sonics, etc. Every other guitar in the store, I'd either have to reach higher than my full height, or worse, all of their Ibanezes were on the wall behind the counter, with the bottoms of the hanging guitars being at least 7-8 ft up. Even things like that Iron Label RGD or whatever it is that kinda sorts look similar to some of the Aqua/ash Aries builds were effectively un=touchable without asking for a sales person to get a ladder to get it down from high on the wall behind the counter. This is also where every one of their Gibsons were.

And surprisingly, even though every telecaster they had was playable and readily accessible, they had not one tele between $199 and $900. They had none of what is considered by most the value-for-dollar champion of the century, the Classic Vibe or Modern Player lines.

While the remodel seemed to give them more display space (maybe not, though...)...they ended up not having the actual accessory i wanted, so I left empty handed, after trying out a lovely and inexpensive Ibanez 12-string acoustic.

Ridiculous. Sales 101 is "put the product in their hands." How do you sell something as intimate as a guitar without the ability to play around with it (hence the 10-day trial Kiesel provides)?
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s
2017 A6H - Lithiums

Pod HD500x
Eleven Rack

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue May 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Gibson files for bankruptcy: LINK
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Omsong wrote:Gibson files for bankruptcy: LINK

To be clear, the same type of bankruptcy as GM and Marvel both did...but also Circuit City and Blockbuster. But also Macy's...but also Sharper Image. :think: .
Last edited by spudmunkey on Wed May 02, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue May 01, 2018 2:10 pm

It's all been said.. but they better start listening to people about their guitar prices--for their reissue grade LP's and V's and Explorers especially--if they want to survive. Brands like Kiesel and Mayones and Knaggs are going to bury them if they don't smarten up. The classic rock 60's-70's Gibson Fairy Magic Dust is not as strong as it once was.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed May 02, 2018 6:49 am

That came a little earlier than predicted, but only by a few months. So now they get to restructure and try to be successful. Business success rates after Chapter 11 are supposedly low (some claim around 10-11% of businesses that do it remain in business).

Maybe there will be a liquidation sale, and we can cash in on some instruments at real prices, and not the hyperinflated "Heirloom" pricing crud that Gibson has foisted on the public for too long.

I'm also waiting to see if this happens for Guitar Center.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:41 am

Glad that i got my lefty ES guitars in time :D

This bankruptcy ould be good news. Unlikely that the brand will die completely.

But if it does...still plenty of used ones out there to last for a while.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Treadplatedual
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Treadplatedual » Mon May 07, 2018 9:42 am

Bob77 wrote:Glad that i got my lefty ES guitars in time :D

The guitar business is still making money, it's all the other nonsense Henry J bought that was tanking them. They'll likely just re-organize, sell off the unprofitable parts, and streamline the product offerings (a la GM a few years back, remember Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, etc?), and hopefully start making guitars people want for prices they're willing to pay. Yay capitalism!
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s
2017 A6H - Lithiums

Pod HD500x
Eleven Rack

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue May 08, 2018 10:01 pm

I wonder how their acoustic business will fare. Gibson quit building banjos a few years ago, and have only been turning out high end mandolins (> $5000) since the flood.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed May 09, 2018 6:09 am

I hope it survives. I've always been a fan of their acoustic guitars, and they (among others) present a great alternative to the usual Martins (which themselves are obviously great).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed May 09, 2018 7:18 am

Doctor Turn wrote:I hope it survives. I've always been a fan of their acoustic guitars, and they (among others) present a great alternative to the usual Martins (which themselves are obviously great).

Very much agreed. I always liked their acoustics. A little forward-sounding, but comfortable and responsive. Now if we can get them to use harder frets that don't turn into a giant divot from using a capo, we'll have something real (goes for pretty much every acoustic maker).

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 am

I've been wanting a vintage spec J45 Montana for-frickin-ever. With this glorious Carr Mercury V, my needs for more electrics dwindles (although I still must have the Telecaster. . . and either a Custom shop LP Standard or Custom, or a Vintage late-70's Swede).

And one of these days, hopefully soon, I will grab one. This is one of the reasons I REALLY miss the bevy of used guitar shops that used to be everywhere in NYC.. if you order an acoustic guitar online and it's not one that really sings, and there's nothing up w the bridge or the nut, there's not an awful lot you can do short of messing w the bracing/glue-- and anything else you can do to get the strings harmonizing w the soundboard and back is going to void whatever warranty (or simple returnability, if used). Acoustics really need play thru's.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed May 09, 2018 9:51 am

Doctor Turn wrote:I've been wanting a vintage spec J45 Montana for-frickin-ever. With this glorious Carr Mercury V, my needs for more electrics dwindles (although I still must have the Telecaster. . . and either a Custom shop LP Standard or Custom, or a Vintage late-70's Swede).

And one of these days, hopefully soon, I will grab one. This is one of the reasons I REALLY miss the bevy of used guitar shops that used to be everywhere in NYC.. if you order an acoustic guitar online and it's not one that really sings, and there's nothing up w the bridge or the nut, there's not an awful lot you can do short of messing w the bracing/glue-- and anything else you can do to get the strings harmonizing w the soundboard and back is going to void whatever warranty (or simple returnability, if used). Acoustics really need play thru's.

When you do get one, you MUST name it "Hannah." Please. That would be hilarious.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 am

Treadplatedual wrote:
Bob77 wrote:Glad that i got my lefty ES guitars in time :D

The guitar business is still making money, it's all the other nonsense Henry J bought that was tanking them. They'll likely just re-organize, sell off the unprofitable parts, and streamline the product offerings (a la GM a few years back, remember Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, etc?), and hopefully start making guitars people want for prices they're willing to pay. Yay capitalism!

Lol

Well hopefully the guitar part of the business will continue...or at least parts of it.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Wed May 09, 2018 10:46 am

From The Hard Times, a satire site in the vein of The Onion but oriented to underground hardcore/metal: https://thehardtimes.net/music/gibson-e ... irculation

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 am

I'm sure Les Pauls and SG's (and Explorers and V's) aren't going anywhere.. even if Slash and Bonamassa have to team up to buy that division and shrink the co down to its roots. But I'm sure that business isn't going anywhere. Sanity simply needs to be brought to the acquisitions dept and the pricing setup on the "good" Gibsons.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear