Are Tube Amps History?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Are Tube Amps History?

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:39 pm

What an alarmist title. They. Are. Not. Going. Anywhere!

If I try and order cigarettes interstate from an Indian reservation or even just from an out of state seller into NYC, to avoid the absurd sales tax in NYC, they will confiscate the cigarettes, in as bid to force me to do it their way. Doesn't mean tobacco is going to be made illegal.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:54 pm

I wonder if it's just that the shipper, in this case, was not willing to invest the time and money into following international regulations and paperwork. Might be similar to PRS when he discussed on a recent interview (on Philip McKnights channel) that he has no problem shipping rosewood fretboard guitars overseas because he is willing to put in the effort to provide all the required documentationand forms (but that it does delay delivery by about 40 days...).
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby hallwayminstrel » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:49 am

Omsong wrote:I just stumbled upon this Youtube video: Will VTs Soon Be Outlawed

Apparently, a 12A*7 was purchased from a foreign supplier on Ebay and was confiscated when attempting to ship it through their International shipping service. One of the viewer comments mentions that the USPS policy is to not ship vacuum tubes as well. FedEx and UPS both use their own airlines and, therefore, their own, separate, regulations.

I received my latest batch of tubes from Doug's tubes a month ago and he always ships USPS. They arrived in my mailbox just fine.

I saw the quote about "well USPS is afraid of the gasses in the tubes" and had to laugh. (They're called vacuum tubes for a reason.)
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb
2017 MB15 Bass Amp

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:08 am

Different tools for different uses. I have to say though, with the advances in technology that has allowed micro tube amps to be versatile and usable under any situation, I don't think tubes are going to go out of style. I personally have found only one solid state amp that I can say I really enjoyed using. Everything else that I've fallen in love with is a tube amp.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:What an alarmist title. They. Are. Not. Going. Anywhere!

If I try and order cigarettes interstate from an Indian reservation or even just from an out of state seller into NYC, to avoid the absurd sales tax in NYC, they will confiscate the cigarettes, in as bid to force me to do it their way. Doesn't mean tobacco is going to be made illegal.

Is it tobacco or a different kind of weed?... :lol:

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:38 am

Would be a pretty cool moment in NY state law if there actually was a public process to order weed from a mail order house. Because of the fact that it would pass overwhelmingly, I seriously doubt that the state legislature will put it on the ballot--a la Cali's brave move--any time soon.

As for me, if you would have caught me in my teens and 20's, absolutely. All day long (literally). Today, rarely ever.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:53 am

hallwayminstrel wrote:I saw the quote about "well USPS is afraid of the gasses in the tubes" and had to laugh. (They're called vacuum tubes for a reason.)

Well, they are a vacuum but (and my tube theory is more than a bit rusty) if I remember correctly, as the cathode or filaments (depending on the design as some tubes do not have separate filaments) heat up they do release impurities that can pollute the vacuum. That's why some tubes had "getters" which are designed to burn off these impure gases each time the tube is fired up. The internal metal components (and even the glass bulb, I suppose) can contain rare earths, some of which are now probably on someone's restricted list. IOW, there is a "possible", though minute risk of contamination. Certainly nothing near as severe as the new mercury filled lamps.

Someone who has a clearer recollection of VTs may want to correct me or elaborate...

Kiesel
Past tense

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:19 am

How Its Made: Audio Vacuum Tubes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFQSdX1B-ic
Last edited by Omsong on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiesel
Past tense

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:32 am

Cool video, Omsong.
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:56 am

skully13a wrote:Cool video, Omsong.

Agreed. It's easy to see why tubes can be quite pricey as, essentially, each one is custom made. I would expect that some factories are more automated than shown in this video, NTL...

Kiesel
Past tense

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Lov'n those vintage tube tones. Check out this fun video: Repairing a '56 Bassman - gorgeous tones at the end!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wst69bygMSk

I didn't realize Bassman Reissues were available: At Sweetwater $1449

Edited: HERE is a great video series on vacuum tube theory for those that are curious about how those glass thing-a-ma-gigs work.

Kiesel
Past tense

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 am

Omsong wrote:I've wondered about those little Quilter amps. I know the 45, impressive for it's size, is a smaller version of their 101 but I've heard reviews (of the 101) that range from NO THANKS to REALLY IMPRESSIVE. What's your take on it? Does it sound like a hundred other decent SS amps or can you get a tube vibe out of it?

Here's a cell phone from the audience clip of the MicroBlock 45 live, playing the oldies.
Running into an un-mic'd 4x10 cab.
It could have been a lot louder but I was told that the mix out in the room was good. Hearing this I wish I'd turned it up a wee bit.
While I'm singing the only effects pedals I'm using with the amp are reverb and a tiny bit of delay. For the "lead" I boost it a little with a Joyo sweet baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOnvu2WXINU
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Oh man, ElfDude, that takes me way back! Haven't heard that tune in a looong time. Way to go! I've been listening to various Youtube demos of the Quilter amp heads and am quite impressed. Kind of leaning towards trying a Mini 101, myself.

Kiesel
Past tense

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Knocking it out as usual Matt. But what is all the fuss. Aint that the same amp they used on the original recording. :lol:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Omsong wrote:Oh man, ElfDude, that takes me way back! Haven't heard that tune in a looong time. Way to go! I've been listening to various Youtube demos of the Quilter amp heads and am quite impressed. Kind of leaning towards trying a Mini 101, myself.

I'd strongly recommend the 101R over the 101. Lots more control over the EQ. And of course, the reverb. :)
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:52 pm

ElfDude wrote:
Omsong wrote:Oh man, ElfDude, that takes me way back! Haven't heard that tune in a looong time. Way to go! I've been listening to various Youtube demos of the Quilter amp heads and am quite impressed. Kind of leaning towards trying a Mini 101, myself.

I'd strongly recommend the 101R over the 101. Lots more control over the EQ. And of course, the reverb. :)

I've heard that the 101mini is on the dark side and the 101R brightens up the tone a bit, too. I'd probably use a reverb pedal, though, so haven't yet decided if the more trad. EQ is worth the extra $100. What do you think?

Kiesel
Past tense

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:01 am

Omsong wrote:
ElfDude wrote:

I've heard that the 101mini is on the dark side and the 101R brightens up the tone a bit, too. I'd probably use a reverb pedal, though, so haven't yet decided if the more trad. EQ is worth the extra $100. What do you think?

I haven't bought a 101R (yet). But I just couldn't get the chime out of the original Hwy 101 that I needed so I returned it. Thus, to me, the extra $100 would be worth it. To others out there it's not. Especially those who put EQ pedals in the effects loop. :)

Fortunately I really like my Aviator and my MicroBlock 45.
Unfortunately the MicroBlock wouldn't turn on this morning. :( I suspect the external power supply and not the amp itself.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Are Tubes Worth It from Carvin Audio.

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 am

Wow, that was one of the silliest titles for the most totally noncommittal article, that really takes no stance whatsoever aside from pointing out that your fear of tubes blowing out on you right in the middle of your cover of Eruption at the local bar, are probably exaggerated.

It doesn't make any real case of the value proposition of a tube amp versus that of SS or digital modeling, and suggest that tubes may or may not be worth it. It just generally states that you may have been listening too much to the internet forum boogey man a little too much, and that tube issues may be exaggerated.

And it makes a pitch for the Vai LEGACY pedal, lol. Which was obviously the point of the article.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:40 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Wow, that was one of the silliest titles for the most totally noncommittal article, that really takes no stance whatsoever

I'm yet to read anything particularly helpful in one of those articles that Carvin audio sends out.

Return to Other Gear