Are Tube Amps History?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Are Tube Amps History?

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:47 am

ElfDude wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:Wow, that was one of the silliest titles for the most totally noncommittal article, that really takes no stance whatsoever

I'm yet to read anything particularly helpful in one of those articles that Carvin audio sends out.

They've come a long, sad way... down.

Speaking of, did you ever figure anything out on those old Carvin branded effects, like the chorus?
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:13 am

ElfDude wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:Wow, that was one of the silliest titles for the most totally noncommittal article, that really takes no stance whatsoever

I'm yet to read anything particularly helpful in one of those articles that Carvin audio sends out.

I agree and get really annoyed whenever an advertisement is cloaked in worthless dribble.

I think the pros and cons have been beat to death a 1000 times over. As long as tubes are available at manageable prices there will be a market for tube amps. Do you notice that it's never a question of: "Do tubes sound as good as solid state amps?". Even though a few ss amps may come close, they still don't exactly duplicate the sound and feel of even many low priced tube amps. SS amps do have some advantages over tubes, mainly price, weight and reliability (debatable). But until the cost of ownership becomes prohibitive for the vast majority of players, IMO, tubes will remain in strong demand. (Most likely, government regulation and economics will ultimately determine tube amp desirability.)
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:49 am

...and of course the endless guitar "grudge matches" of say a high end LP versus a PRS.. which inevitably end with nobody in the video taking a position on the matter, and always ending it with "They're both great guitars, and it all comes down to personal taste." Which is of course true (it's always going to come down to taste when you've got the money to buy a high end PRS or Gibson.. because at that point you can pretty much afford anything on the general guitar market), but that's not why we click on those videos. We want to hear someone take a stand and say something about what they like better and why--but they almost never go there.

Solid state proponents along with modelers would almost never risk placing their amps against something truly venerable with a pure circuit like a Trainwreck, an old handwired Marshall or Fender, or something like a modern Carr. There's just no way to recreate the incidental, shifting, beautiful artifacts of tone that change with distance from the amp, interaction of different pup mags with different tubes, volume, room size (w feedback tendency) etc.

On the other hand, your generic brown sound, hi gain clobber from a decent enough crunch factory, etc, your generic modern mid-low priced Marshall/Peavey and many others.. modelers can do that 12AX7 crunch nowadays really well, and really convincing.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby hallwayminstrel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 am

ElfDude wrote:

I agree. Their articles are insipid and shallow. For example this quote: "In any case, a good tech should be able to quickly isolate and rectify the problem."

Ok, once the tech can get to it, if you can find one in Utah who isn't backed-up six weeks or more.
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb
2017 MB15 Bass Amp

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 pm

I don't feel like starting a new thread, but has anyone here had a chance to try out a Headrush Pedalboard from Eleven?

Return to Other Gear