Vintage Hagstrom Viking (Natural Birch, 1975 ) ARRIVED!

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Vintage Hagstrom Viking (Natural Birch, 1975 ) ARRIVED!

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:53 pm

If I bought a brand new semihollow and it looked like this, I wouldn't bat an eyelash. The fact that this is just a couple years shy of 50 years old is almost coma-inducing, I'm so blown away. NAKED-APE, remember when you said when I lost that brownburst out in Dover that it was because something better was around the corner?

Well this one sounds better, plays better, and is in better condition. You were 100% right. This thing has the original case in great shape, has the case key, tool kit, and even an unplayed "Hagstrom Sweden" complimentary guitar pick.

My Series III 6L6GC X100B adores this guitar, especially that hi headroom clean channel, adores this guitar. Some pics. I took these last night, it's locked up with my tech right now for full setup, although the condition and setup from GC was totally playable and sounded amazing.

The pickups remind me a good bit of my old M22N.. very round and thick, but still so full and transparent. Amazing.

What a score..
Last edited by Doctor Turn on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Vintage Hagstrom Viking (Natural Birch, early 70's) ARRIVED!

Postby Naked Ape » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 pm

:applause: I love it when things work out for the best!!
That thing looks amazing!!!! Hard to believe it's age. I bet you have a 'Perma Smile' ear to ear. :D
Look forward to a thorough review, when you get it back from your tech. (if he gives it back) :lol:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! The Universe has a plan....things definitely happen for good reason. :wink:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:33 pm

I've forgotten, mate, is this your first semi-hollow?

Sure is a looker! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:56 pm

Thank you both! I was up late last night playing from midnight to three in the morning before going to bed, trying it out on all the different settings before I had to go to bed and then drop it at my tech this a.m.

Like the NJ/Dover specimen, I've never heard a low E string that projected so big and round and full before. The whole low end is like that, you physically feel it.

Elf, yeah it's my first semi hollow. For the past couple of years I would always, when stepping into Sam Ash, or GC, or some of the second hand shops or little boutiques downtown and in Brooklyn (nothing really in the Bronx where I live) I would always pull down Gibson ES's, Gretsch, Guild, D'Angelco's, Epiphones, etc. Usually made of mahogany or laminated maple, usually set neck. This guitar, made of old arctic birch, sounds a bit similar but somehow more 3D, wider, more projecting, richer. It's got the same pups as the old HIIN double cut stubby... but sounds very different. While it delivers that classic semihollow sound it's somehow more musical.

I always used to feel--honestly--that most semihollows I would play, their notes die. Like vibrations come up out of the soundholes that shakes the guitar in a way that's counterproductive to the resonant frequency of the note at hand, and sends it into a quick death. SH's always sounded dead and dull and without sustain to me. Most of them anyway, of course there are some amazing 335's and the higher end examples.. but most of the best hollows and semihollows I've played have been Gretsch and Epiphone (I remember I played a Wildkat special edition thru a Vox AC 30 in GC about 2 years ago where it sounded so good that two different people came up to me and asked me what guitar I was playing; same thing happened with just a boring old Dot but where everything just came together nicely).

But since getting on this little Hagstrom bender starting last year, and I got interested enough in Vikings since hearing so much from the old boys who own and play them and swear there's nothing like them (lots of European studio guys on FB), I went out to NJ and played that Viking as the prospect attracted me. And it was all over. Those little differences--bolt neck, those old original Custom 58's, Swedish handmade engineering, old growth birchwood--they seem to make all the differences. Very lyrical, almost naturally emotional sounding guitar. The sound, the neck, the feel, the shape (I like the more ominous looking horns vs a 335), it just strikes all the right vibes for my tastes!

Happy dude I am!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Gorgeous. Bursts and such are nice, but there's something lyrical about a good natural woodgrain finish.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:25 am

Casual Madman wrote:Gorgeous. Bursts and such are nice, but there's something lyrical about a good natural woodgrain finish.

I agree, Naked Ape and I were talking by PM and he was stressing the same thing, that I had more than enough bursts (there were also a couple clear natural birch vintage 70's Vikings available, two on Reverb, one that looked mint but had a neck plate that indicated some shoddy work was done on it) and that the natural blonde would look way better. The three Hagstroms I'd previously bought, the Northen Super prototype, the customized 3 x P90 Super, and the 1972 HIIN OT are all vintage tobacco/vintage "heritage" style cherry sunburst.

It matches nicely with my natural koa Carvin. But yes I agree with you guys, it has a natural simple beauty that's similar to the koa. It kind of has a simple authority in it's look. It makes it look like "a serious guitar." So to speak.

Of course like most semis and classic hollowbodies, the top is laminated. I believe the body is just routed out birch carved to allow for the innards and for the top to be set down onto it.

One thing that surprised me it's it's a good eight pounds or so. That center block of solid birch under the top adds to the weight, and it weighs about the same as a good vintage Les Paul. It weighs about the same as my Special, I'd wager between 8 and 8.5 lbs.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:06 am

I forgot to upload this. The one real sign of its age: some slight finish checking on the back of the neck under the headstock.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Pretty funny, I just realized something about the pickguard on the vintage Vikings (and I guess to a degree on the reissues, although they're positioned further forward on the body than the vintage and they're cut a bit differently around the pups).. they look like in silouhette the shape of the treble side of a Holdsworth HHxx, like almost exactly. It's like the bottom half of a Holdsworth Headless to a tee:

Pretty freakydeak.

Modern Asia made reissue (still awesome for the money by all accounts.. guard slightly different and slid up forward on the body):

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:46 pm

... and now look what appeared now that I've acquired a semihollow at last (this was high on the list too, with the switching and pups so much like my beloved 150):

Stereo SH 225 in great shape:

Looks like the hardware may have been modified a touch. Was this bridge available in 1989?

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Yes, it was. From a 1989 catalog:
http://carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/89-sh225.html

Kevio over at the museum wrote:1989 was the last year the SH225 would be offered, at least officially. Features and specifications were the same as 1988, and the new bridge/tailpiece was standard, and tremolos were evidently no longer offered. Base price on the SH225, with form-fitted hardshell case, was $899.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Sweet. I was eventually going to look it up, but good on you!

That's one sweet Carvfner.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Doctor Turn wrote: Carvfner

Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it. Like Phteven. :lol:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:18 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote: Carvfner

Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it. Like Phteven. :lol:

Or kovfefe (or however that was spelled).

Anyway, that's a sweet price for that SH225!
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm trying to figure out which is silent, the V or the F... Carve-nur? or Carf-nur? :lol:

That's always cool to see the great Roy Clark playing M22's. Shows how versatile and NOT-made-for-metal those pups were/are (there are some who think that the "M" stands for "metal" because the "H" stands for Holdsworth and I guess the "C" stands for "Classic.".. maybe they stood for "Mark?" Maybe they were the first pickups he wound on his own without his pop?)

Zappa, Roy Clark, Oingo Boingo, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Heart, Lita Ford, Starship, Cippolina, and so many others.... about as versatile a pickup as they come.

What's cool about that bridge on the 225 is it looks like the true vintage style "ABR" skinny bridge, as opposed to the Nashville redux of the design. The ABR is tougher to intonate as the saddles are crammed in a little tighter, but they transfer more sustain and look MUCH better. Been thinking of swapping out the Nash on my Special.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Man o man, a whole new world of sounds and playing approach is opened up with this guitar. What's amazing is how wicked it sounds with tons of dirt on it. It justsustains forever.

Looks great next to my other natural finish girlie (AGAIN with these flipped images)

Superlative alternatives to the usual Gibsons...

My Nexus 6P bricked on me so i had to buy an unlobked Sony Xperia... but i hate the camera, does nothing justice so this is my old tab cam.. also not great.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:32 pm

That looks killer Doc! What a score! :applause: 8)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks my friend. I like the subliminal Holdsworth connection via the shape of the pick guard, and the Birchwood neck and body.

Btwi had it dated today... It's a 1975, so it's about three years younger at least than I thought it was.

This was actually the last round of batches in the last year they called them Viking 1N, with the N meaning "Ny" meaning New, new version with humbuckers instead of the DeArmond single coils (and Fender style headstock) of the sixties. Then the line paused until the final two years 78-9, where it was just called "Viking" (since the buckers were no longer new) and the headstock switched from the headstock shaped "ducks foot" block inlay to the Fleur de lis inlay used today and was (and still is) used on 99% of the Swedes. The bridge also switched from the unique rail with the adjustable sliding clamps on mine (and my 72 HIIN OT) to a Nashville style Tom with rollers. Also with some cherry sunbursts introduced on those last two years of the model. Like so

That block inlay was replicated briefly on the reissues on the final roughly 75% of the high end Northen line. Mine is an early handmade prototype so it has the Fluer de lis, the last three years or so of that line had the block inlay like on my Viking.

I finished my demo, for those who asked, of it clean. Didn't get around to the overdrive channel.. which is a mind-blowing sound. It's completely unlike anything in my arsenal!

I just need to transfer the audio file from my board to my PC so I can upload.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Vintage Hagstrom Viking (Natural Birch, 1975 ) ARRIVED!

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:45 pm

Ok for those guys who wanted to hear it--this is a demo on the clean channel of the old X100B. No effects, just the axe straight into the amp. The chime, and emotional shimmer of these spinoffs of a 1958 PAF,is just amazing.

I'll do another upload of the axe overdriven next weekend. That's a whole other subject and an epiphany bigger than the clean sound of this guitar. I start yapping so much on this demo I had to edit it and chop it off on the end. I sound like some radio dork yammering on and I just chopped a long segue into more noodling off.

Two links,

Compressed soundcloud:

and straight WAV via Drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_YHO ... Vc1bU9vb28
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:36 am

Very cool!

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:01 am

What a great demo, Doc. That Viking looks and sounds aces. You really scored with that one.

Thanks for posting. Excellent stuff.

Return to Other Gear