Vintage Hagstrom Viking (Natural Birch, 1975 ) ARRIVED!

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Vintage Hagstrom Viking (Natural Birch, 1975 ) ARRIVED!

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks gents. Much obliged. The pickups are phenomenal. The clarity and simultaneous bottom end on these pickups, combined with the amazing sustain this unique bridge (on no other guitar other than the vintage Hagstroms running up to just about this year until they switched over to that next proprietary bridge which was like a Nashville looking Tom style roller bridge on the last run off Hagstroms until they died in the early Eighties.. you can see it on the cherry burst Viking on the previous page) delivers is just unbelievably unique. The thing just chimes and sustains forever. There's a little extra high end in the audio because the acoustic strumming was getting picked up by my vocal mic (sm57. The guitar is being picked up by a Telefunken m80 on the right hand speaker and an AT2020 on the left. They work well together). So it sounds a little touch more twangy than usual, but you get the drift off how nice this thing sounds. It's like an ES335 in HD.

On one hand these pups are based on a 58 PAF, but they "improved" on the wind to deliver more clearly what the guitar is doing... So while PAFs are generally clearer than the subsequent Gibson buckers, these Hagstrom vintage "Custom 58's" are clearer than that, with just superb note separation and booming bottom end. They're the epitome of the kind of pickup I hunt fanatically. I love companies that don't just look at what Gibson or Fender are doing and just ape it... I love companies that, especially in the pickup and hardware department, examine where the leaders are falling down with weak spots on their instruments... And come up with their own versions of a bridge, a classic style humbucker, a choice of body wood, etc...

Love it! Thanks very much for listening and commenting. (Still haven't heard from the dudes who specifically asked me to do it though.... :think: )
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:31 am

I'm jonesing for a good semi-hollow SOOOO bad! Great stuff, dude!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks Doug. I'll try to get up the sounds of it overdriven, which was the real epiphany for me. So unique sounding, and it sustains forever like you've got a compressor on it on 11, even with the volume on that old X100B on .5! I've never owned a guitar that crunched like this before. It's completely psychedelic sounding in a way that a solidbody could never do.. and I've owned over the course of my life virtually every incarnation of a solidbody.

So long story short Doug--YES! Do go out and grab one. Don't make the mistake I made and wait until 40 years of playing to finally wake up to these axes, in my case because you failed to recognize what they do and how they do it, and also because you thought they made you look goofy and rock-a-billy because they were big and oversized.

Quite the contrary.. they're the serious, in-the-know guitar player's guitar. It's opening a whole new world of songwriting, especially instrumentals, for me.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:04 am

This is what happened back between the mid sixties and late Seventies as the popularity for these great vintage guitars were built and their popularity grew, eh?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... 2.app.html
Eh? Lol. :laughhard: :lol: 8)

Ya need wood ya need wood apparently...

Pretty interesting article actually. The Vikings were an interesting bunch of boys and girls.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 am

That was an interesting article. Even raising their forests from 1% to 1.5% is "only" half of a percent, but that's a 50% increase! Not bad, Iceland.

Interesting to note that they are talking about a few million trees. The US currently has 33% forest, and, give or take, roughly 3 trillion trees.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:08 pm

It is a fascinating article. It's incredible the amount of deforestation effected so many centuries ago and its virtually impossible to recover still. You tend to think of modern man of the 20th-21st century as the most deadly versus his natural resources, and yet between the 9th and 11th centuries, the level of tree cutting was just of epic proportions.

And -- connected to my pun with the word Viking and their using of native Scandinavian wood-- they're talking primarily arctic birch, it seems. Which is what these original Vikings from the old Swedish made Hagstrom are made of, 100% aside from the brazillian rosewood boards. Just in this case they got their wood stocks from next-door Northern Finland rather than across the sea in Iceland. For the company then (the "new" Hagstrom use birch in their resonator boards) it was cheap, plentiful, and absolutely superb as a tonewood. The acoustic projection on this old Viking is almost as loud as my Yamaha (which is admittedly not an expensive guitar, but it I'm just talking volume projection and the Yam is a decently made nato and spruce top, albeit small bodied, axe).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 pm

The whole Hag family. With some nice lens shape distortion hitting the Northen pretty good in the lower left.

I've turned into a Gibson-Carvin-Hagstrom man. Which is not a bad thing to be.

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Some cool shots of Frank with his now-impossible-to-locate hand painted SuperSwede:
the guitar in closeup-- it obviously was the initial design before they adopted the Patch 2000 Swede stoptail with the blocks under the chrome (like in my Northen on the left above), so he has the boltdown stoptail that's on my HIIN OT (2nd from right above).

Those (now vintage) humbuckers are so recognizable when covered because of the rounded cover corners.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear