Gear burnout

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Gear burnout

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:15 pm

I've been noticing this feeling building for a while, and wonder if anyone else out there gets it, too? I've been happy with the gear I have, and even have started to distill/simplify the collection. I dig the various sounds and feel of so many combinations of parts, measurements, woods, etc, though it just doesn't feel as big as it once did. Just feels like I'm walking a well-trodden path. Maybe it's a jaded 30 something issue.

Not that I have an issue with music; I love listening/playing, and mentally sampling the various styles. I guess it focuses around the gear only. So, does anyone else get like this?
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Gear burnout

Postby Greg Emm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Great thread. Short response: yes.

As you so aptly describe the situation, a feeling of stagnation at times infringes upon my experience of enjoying the variety of tools at hand. My thinking always moves to liquidating gear so that I can focus on fewer options, maybe goading myself into learning new tunes, techniques, and rediscovering something I may be overlooking or taking for granted in my instruments.

Thanks for starting this discussion.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks for the response, and use of more....erudite...syntax (words of the day, people). I would love to hear more responses.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm not sure I understand the question.. I think you described the periphery more than the question, but I think the gist is that even though you enjoy the nuances of difference between different pieces of gear, the differences themselves seem to be smaller and less significant as you get older? Is that the idea?

If I was playing a consistent form of music, say like I was just a metal lead player playing songs that were handed to me, I might say yes. But I'm constantly writing music and am backlogged with executing all of it, and the kind of music I write has huge variations in sound from part to part within the same song. And of the 6 electrics I have, none of them sound super close to one another. My 2 Fender scale LP style Hag SS's sound completely different owing to humbuckers vs P90's. The 4 Gibson scale guitars are all wildly different sounding: the LP Special w P90's (which sounds different than the triple pup long scale P90 Hag) sounds very different than both the Carvin (sounds more like a cleaned up LP Custom with an outrageous number of tonal options), and the HIIN (honestly sounds like itself, though reminiscent of an SG but the Custom 58's extend a clarity impossible on a SG). The Viking sonically is off in another galaxy than any other guitar, utterly unique; on one hand PAF ish but with a lush piano like lyricism impossible on a Gibson.. probably due to 1) bolt on, 2) old birch, 3) unique rail bridge and ebony mount, and 4) the pickups.

Other interesting things: the Carvin when split on the neck especially sounds like a Strat. Yet it's Gibson scale. The Northen Super Swede when split sounds almost EXACTLY like a Telecaster. I need to do a demo of that amazing guitar, it single handedly through it's splitting (also owing to Fender scale vs splitting a gibsony axe) killed my 60's Baja Tele GAS.

There's one other guitar (not a Fender, you guys would never guess it in a million years) that I want, and one is for sale on Reverb.. but this time I'm saving for a Carr amp, and if I can find one of those super rarity guitars after that, I'll buy one.

Could I whittle down to essentials? Yeah, and I know what I would keep. Would I want to because I think there's massive sonic overlap? Not at all.
Last edited by Doctor Turn on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:00 pm

double
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:08 pm

To clarify, it's more the constant desire to acquire that has finally worn off on me. I have....far more guitars than I really think I need, though each one is entirely is own sonic subset. A thinline Jag with unpotted pickups sounds nothing like my DC135. Yet, I find myself gravitating toward my back-breaker Bolt+, and the Vader, depending on if/when a vibrato is needed. Both of those guitars cover so much ground in simple ways. The 135 is mostly meant for high gain shreddy stuff; all high output singles/humbuckers with ridiculous switching.

I just feel spent/weary of the whole acquisition thing. I feel tired from the marketing, and burned out from seeing so many new guitars. Would I enjoy them were I in that person's position? I'm not even sure anymore. It really started with pedals. I owned so many, and lived by their potential for use, but never found myself using them. So I've whittled it down, and ultimately the rest of the gear as a result. *shrug* I suppose it's kind of cathartic.

DWG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DWG » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:07 pm

I love guitar gear and over time we all end up with a lot of it. While I don't get the urge to have less gear, I do recognize that there is only so many hours in the day for me to develop as a guitarist. So, I’ve tried to become very guarded about how I spend my music time.

Last spring I was going through a real bought of guitar playing distraction, and I came up with these 5 questions for myself. (Answers provided) It’s my attempt to maintain my focus. But alas, I’m typing this right now and you can all see the answer to the last question. Hope you can relate and get a laugh. :lol:

Are you an Artist or a collector of paint brushes?
You spend too much time buying new guitars, amps, & gear.

Are you an Artist or a golden retriever?
You spend too much time tracking and waiting for the delivery guy.

Are you an Artist or a gear tech?
You spend too much time tinkering with gear and rewiring your setup.

Are you an Artist or a music voyeur?
You spend too much time watching people playing their guitars on YouTube.

Are you an Artist or a music conversationalist?
You spend too much time on forums debating about guitars and music.

DWG

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 pm

That's one thing I've never gotten into, the tinkering side of the electronics . . . swapping pickups myself, I have always loathed doing intonation. I was soooooo proud of myself when I first took apart the chassis of my combo to blow out the potentiometers to remove crackle from build up w spray component cleaner and spray air.

I still have my extra vintage M22 set, and haven't put the replacement 80's 22SD in there. That's a job for my tech. It's not like the modern pups where the 4 wires are clearly delineated (either that or I have to cut back the insulation to get a better lead on another wire or two to reveal the colors, I see red black and white or but not the last color which became green.. I like leaving this stuff up to my tech. You can see the condition of the wires..)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

mangdrew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby mangdrew » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:18 am

Don't worry, it'll pass!

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:32 am

I love having as much gear as I can get until it's time to pack for a gig... then the option anxiety kicks in. Trying to decide the best two guitars to take for this particular gig, but then weighing that against which guitars I really like that haven't been to a gig for a long time, etc. Those are the moments I envy the artist who just has in one model of guitar and that's all he plays. But that feeling passes. :mrgreen:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:07 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:I've been noticing this feeling building for a while, and wonder if anyone else out there gets it, too? I've been happy with the gear I have, and even have started to distill/simplify the collection. I dig the various sounds and feel of so many combinations of parts, measurements, woods, etc, though it just doesn't feel as big as it once did. Just feels like I'm walking a well-trodden path. Maybe it's a jaded 30 something issue.

Not that I have an issue with music; I love listening/playing, and mentally sampling the various styles. I guess it focuses around the gear only. So, does anyone else get like this?

I don't know if I'm feeling burn out or not.
As far a guitars go, I'm pretty happy right now. My last two successful kiesels filled a lot of needs for me.
I haven't really been working on any new builds.

I've got maybe one or two sitting around that aren't keepers (one I'll sell) and that's about it.
Looking to pick up a tele, but there's no real rush. I'm keeping my eye on the used market.

I've been using the hd500 live more, so im thinking about getting a FRFR unit.
Amps and pedals are good.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:54 am

I love having lots of guitars.
I play them all but I only gig with the same couple over and over and over....

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 pm

I think I've finally come to the realization that I don't need anymore guitars or amps. I hardly play all my guitars anyway since I have one out of them all that I just can't put down, and that guitar in combination with my JHS Sweet Tea pedal gets me where I want to be tonally. Having too many pedals and guitars and amps is something I wish I hadn't done sometimes, but I hate to get rid of my guitars.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:48 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:I've been noticing this feeling building for a while, and wonder if anyone else out there gets it, too? I've been happy with the gear I have, and even have started to distill/simplify the collection. I dig the various sounds and feel of so many combinations of parts, measurements, woods, etc, though it just doesn't feel as big as it once did. Just feels like I'm walking a well-trodden path. Maybe it's a jaded 30 something issue.

I don't understand these words in this order. :shock: :lol:

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:08 am

Since I got 2 dogs (50+ and almost 70 lbs each - medium size), and really since the new Kiesel models, ... the gas has waned a bit. Not entirely, as I still build different Carved Top variations (diff color jelly beans). I've got a lot of bases covered, and know what I like now, for the most part.
The dogs take up some space in my house (crates, mats where they lie when not on the couch ... or in my lap, ooof!), which is already cramped with the current horde of gear I own. And I cannot really play all that loud around them - at a certain point 1 or both will get up off the couch and go somewhere else out of earshot. :twisted: (Sometimes they like it tho - they'll lay down when I'm playing clean.)
The newer Kiesel models do not have me gassing ... maybe an Aries, but I'm not a huge fan of the emphasized bevel. I know I can get both a 22 fretter and bevel delete, but oddly, I think I'd prefer the bevel over the sharp edges (with either a solid color or all black limba?). I kinda like the shape of the other new model (Vanquish), but I just (still) don't get the tone delete by default (and no-return when added, mmmm - nope).
If they come out with Lithium alternatives, I may give them a try in some new axe (CT or Aries?).

And amps ...
I used to want a Mesa ... Road King II (I think?, the 1 where you can switch 6L6s and EL34s - MOOCHO dinero!!). I also had some gas for an amp (or 2) on the Museum now. In the past I may have jumped on that, but again with the limited space, and the dogs ... and other expenses - planned home improvement project ... I just cant swing it (sorry guy). I don't play all the gear I have now. I'd love to drag out my X100B IV again - I keep threatening myself I'd do it. :twisted:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:19 pm

I'm going to be ridiculously painfully honest.

I find that when cash is tight, I get on a jag about how you don't need more than one or two good guitars. Then, when money is flowing, I get on the hunt for variety and enjoy the luxury of having multiple guitars with multiple scale lengths and pickups/woods/bridges/year vintages.

But underneath it all, I've always, even though I'm more of a Gibson-humbucker driven sort of a guy, been instructed by the example of Jimi Hendrix who was the big inspiration for me that got me into guitar when I was a wee young tyke (even though I had a lawsuit Japanese Les Paul from that 70's era as my first electric).. I watched him do so much with one single style of guitar.. initially the black 62-65 rosewood board strat, then switching to the white strat at the end (with some others in there, of course)..but he did play a Les Paul Custom black beauty at least once, but the thing I will say is that when you see him say on D ick Cavett playing his SG Custom, he doesn't sound like Jimi at all. His playing sounds dull and uninspired compared to those huge hands making mince meat of the long tight scale on a Fender Strat and it's bell like attack. (A little better with his V at Isle of Wight).

Point being that you can really establish yourself and your sound with one guitar, and even the addition of different sounds to your tonal vocabulary can sound unnecessary beyond a certain point. Jimi is a case in point, Robert Fripp is another. Zappa is another, and the inverse of Jimi.. when Zappa started soloing almost exclusively on Fenders in the last two tour phases of his life (84 and then 88.. saw him on both legs) it totally didn't work for me anywhere near as well his work on an SG/handmade SG/Hagstrom Swede & Super Swede/Les Paul Custom.

Then again you can be a Keith Richards/Eric Clapton sorta dude and make your bones on everything and anything and have no specific sound outside of "phases" of your playing. Duane Allman the same to a degree, but I would argue that his work on his two primary 59 bursts dominate above his (admittedly gorgeous) work on a Fender. Same goes for Gibbons.. he goes out onstage with substitutes but his albums are all Pearly Gates.
Last edited by Doctor Turn on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:22 pm

I put a space between the D and the I in d*ck Cavett.. because even though the D is capitalized, it still displays d*ck.

The system has a strange and filthy mind.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I put a space between the D and the I in d*ck Cavett.. because even though the D is capitalized, it still displays d*ck.

The system has a strange and filthy mind.

hahaha Now that's funny!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm a "collector" by nature. Once I have one of something I like, I'm likely going to want more and more....and it doesn't really seem to stop. I'll find things from my youth, and still want more even if it's something I haven't seen in 20+ years. :lol:

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:54 pm

I've never really been a gear guy. I've bought and sold many pieces of gear over the years but only to the extent of searching for a particular sound. I found the tone/sound I like so I see no point in collecting stuff unless it's something very interesting and I can use it. or if it's given to me.

There's only one thing I wish I didn't sell. My first amp was a Roland Cube 60 from the 80's. It was covered in thus ugly dark orange. I sold it several years after I got it. I see them on Reverb or eBay once in a while. I may buy one. I'd love to have it back.

Return to Other Gear