Gear burnout

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Gear burnout

Postby DannyB819 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:05 pm

I went through a similar burnout a few years ago and decided that MORE gear was the answer. Playing mostly in two bands - one being a cover/bar band, the other being a female-led Pat Benatar-esque hard rock band, I tried having one rig that would do everything. What ended up happening was me having a rig that was both expensive and frustrating because it was a jack of all trades, but a master of none (except I really had that 80s hard rock tone down pretty well).

Having started playing more R&B and funk in recent endeavors, I decided to segregate my rigs. My cover band rig now is my jack of all trades rig with two delays, phaser, compression, flanger, chrorus, wah, vibe, multiple stages and flavors of overdrive, and a boost and is meant to be played with through a two channel amp for more versatility in gain structures. That pedalboard usually goes through either my X100B or my Lonestar and with either of my C66s.

My R&B rig is pretty simple - it's a compressor, an overdrive, a chorus, a vibe, a wah, and a boost. Usually gets played through the Lonestar and with either my Nash, my parts Tele, or the 335.

Then there's my blues rig - currently my absolute favorite. It's a Univibe, two overdrives, a boost, a wah, a delay, and a reverb through a Victory V40. Mostly used with my Nash.

I'm currently building a classic/hard rock rock rig and am actively shopping for amps and pedals. It's a really fun process that gets the creative juices flowing. If I'm playing my covers rig and a funk thing hits me, I can run over to that rig and keep it flowing without drifting back into some kind of 80s vibe because I've got a heavy chorus and delay going.

I'm also lucky that I've got a wife that's supportive of the addiction.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:04 am

Their may be a distinction from a normal musician and a collector to be considered. I am a musician. Guitar is not the instrument that defines me as one. Guitar is a hobby for me. I have always loved playing but never took it seriously. I still do not. I am a guitar collector. I differ from some because that rare such and such 5k guitar is collectible so I must have it mentality is not mine. I collect the guitars I want to play for the most part. I also try to have the required mix that any good collection should have. Value and rarity have no real influence on me.

Now amps is were I fall into the buying more to chase some unobtainable goal. As well as pedals and effects, chords, picks, strings, speakers and so on.

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:24 pm

No gear burnout here. I still GAS for a CS, badly!! And eventually some kind of bolt-on. I also have pragmatic GAS for things like more XLR cables, mics, stands, etc (I own 98% of the band's FOH & PA gear).

I typed out a whole thing, but deleted it. I'll just say my burnout is from other things that aren't physical objects.

TylerE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TylerE » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 pm

This is why I bought a Helix.

Pretty much any sound I want I can dial up within about 30 seconds.

Yea, sure, it's maybe missing that last 5%, but the flexibility is hard to argue with.

Still plenty of GAS on the guitar/bass side, but it's actually pretty much cured me as far as amps/pedals go.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:49 am

Haven't posted here in a thousand years, but came perusing for the first time in an age and saw this thread....

Yes, I have gear burnout sometimes. If I'm honest, a big portion of mine came from becoming too vested in Carvin/Kiesel over the years and it really manifested during the leadership transition and new direction of the company. But the details aren't important and they apply only to me, so I'll leave it at that.

But I've gotten wrapped up in the minutiae of various things regarding equipment many times, and it has never benefited me artistically or in any other creative way. Experience had taught me mostly to forget about this stuff at this point, especially given the limited time investment I am able to make these days.

As much as I value the different feel and vibes of different instruments (both guitars and amps), age and experience - which are really often the same thing - have taught me the importance of having a consistent and stable interface from which to create, without having to worry about a million other nuances and idiosyncrasies while switching between instruments.

So these days I own only a few guitars, and two of them are 3-voice guitars. So whether I want to run a piezo output through a Para Driver for great acoustic tones...a standard 5-way mag output to an amp or emulator...the 13-pin output for everything from sax and flutes to vintage LPs and Strats and 12-strings to string sections and pads...or any combination of the three outputs....I use a single interface for all of it with which I am adept. Despite the incredible versatility, it is a huge simplification of what would otherwise be literally a room full of gear with discreet functions. It makes being creative in the way I wish painless and rewarding.

OK, back under my rock now....
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:12 am

Well said, GuitFiddle.

I think the minutiae is exactly what captivates so many, including me. Life changed in the past year for me, and that has driven a change in my approach, very much turning into a less-is-more reasoning. Having more space from less equipment is pretty nice, too.

Between living with tangible pieces of memories (attaching said memory to something, because someone played it) has been an issue for me, though it's been slowly abating as time marches on. Living with the potential usefulness of something has been the other, and far more invasive methodology in my life, owing to many years of intense poverty and actually needing to save as much as possible. The "poverty mindset," has little benefit with music equipment, I think, at least for me now.

Living with the above, and then being on the hunt for that "perfect," guitar was one heck of a ride. I still haven't found it, so I have so many instruments. I just don't have time to play them, and that bothers me, too. I don't know when I will, but I keep trying.

One change has been the quality of digital effects. To my ear, so many sound rather good. Not quite the exact same as the analog versions, but so close that I notice no difference playing. More modern processors/software has done all but bridge the gap to me. I've been starting to question the amps I own as well, outside of their (in some cases) rarity or specific sound (some of which can be reproduced digitally).

I recently switched back to bass from doing drum/percussion at my church, and had no real amp to use (both in storage). Neither amp was feasible for normal use. An 8x10 is just too big, and the small amp had no line out for FOH. The resolution? I plan to sell those amps once I pull them back from storage, and just go with a preamp and powered monitor setup. It's been working fine for me, and the sounds I get are so close to the real thing that I don't care.

Outside of all that, everything has felt like a re-hashing of what we have. Very much a "nothing new under the sun" feeling to me. Blah. At least I'm back playing a stringed instrument regularly, even if it's not my primary, and I don't have to haul around heavy equipment anymore. I guess, in that regard, technology has moved forward and helped, if for no other reason than to distill and compact into a single, do-all box.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:50 pm

"Gear burnout?" HAHA!

some guys.jpg

Let me explain what's happening. After all, this is what the BBS is for - members helping each other.

Ok, so in short, none of us have so-called "Gear burnout". What is happening to us when we think we have "Gear burnout" (which is not a thing, by the way), we are simply at the bottom (our personal bottom) of the simple Craving Cycle. I'll picture it below, and it will immediately make sense to everyone, and explain itself.

craving cycles.jpg

The trick here is to realize that you have to learn to ignore your own thinking. Why do I say this? It's because the craving cycle is a bit deeper than you think (pun intended!).

Here, another picture will help explain.

craving.jpg

As you can see, craving happens deep inside the middle part of the brain. It's called the "midbrain" for a reason. That part of your brain is the fight/flight area, etc etc. "Thinking" like "self-talk" happens up where your forehead is. As you can see, craving wins - because it's primitive, like breathing. "Thinking" only last a while and does not ultimately overpower your cravings. Cravings ultimately win.

So, in short, just know that cravings will cycle on and off. Cravings will come back. And cravings will win once again, later.

So for now, as you look back at all your gear purchases you feel wasted and sad. And burned out. Feeling that way is normal. But it won't last forever. You will start to build GAS once again! THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE FOR MORE GAS LATER! :)

Don't try to fight science.

Anyway, we all know there's another reason (2 actually) why you don't actually have "Gear burnout".

One reason is the very nature of metal itself.

anatomy of metal.jpg

As you can see, the anatomy of metal means we are actually all doomed to buy lots more gear, chasing TONE. We like tone. And we like LOTS of CERTAIN tones. So, buy more YOU SHALL. We all know metal is it, and we chase it real bad.

Reason number two is the way tone is produced by musical instruments. I will once again help with a very helpful graphic image.

tone percent.jpg

Again, it's useless to fight science. "Gear burnout"? No, we here on the BBS are all among friends. We understand. You will be back in the builder soon enough.

One more diagram will help. As you can see, haters and poor logic both abound on the dreaded interwebs. Stay here where you are safe from both.

stupidity singularity.jpg

In the meanwhile, consider your location on the personal progress rating scale - your personal progress in your musical and music-gear buying journey. You might be about HALF done, but I can assure you, no more than half.

personal progress rating.jpg

Have a nice day. Glad I could help everyone.

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:37 pm

^^^This reply makes me happy on so many levels.
Many Thanks GnP for explaining my inner brain patterns and tendencies.
So much warm happiness just soaking in right now.
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Praiser wrote:^^^This reply makes me happy on so many levels.
Many Thanks GnP for explaining my inner brain patterns and tendencies.
So much warm happiness just soaking in right now.

LOL!!!

And of course, we finished that with 3 of the 4 most splendid (for my taste). Here's the fourth.

xjbebop CT4.jpg

:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:52 am

My brain may have become more broken down over the years in the "craving," department, as I used to cycle, but as I came to know more about how the instruments function, the less enamored I became with trying to get more equipment. Even my signature declares a joke about always having one more guitar (I made that joke to in-laws, who also play, though I don't actually follow it). While I admit it's fun to look and see what's possible, I don't actually *want* anything, including in the builder. I already have it. My most recent "cycle," only came from my father passing, and him leaving me a considerable amount of gear, new and old, cheap to slightly expensive (depending on one's perspective).

What I came to realize was that this "cycle," was a result of a fairly deep feeling of personal loss, and trying to still feel connected. Admittedly, I don't speak much about guitars to anyone these days, as most guys are not looking at guitars in a more technical perspective (some do).

The past year has also seen a significant shift in life (having a 1st child and massive economic/employment changes will do that). I've been forced to focus away from the topics I used to sink into so often (gear acquisition, hot-rodding cars, building highly customized PCs, playing guitar, and attending PC gaming competitions). Instead, I've reverted back to my lifestyle in teenage years, which was work, lifting weights, playing guitar, and working on cars as needed. Add to that a significant portion of caring for a baby, and I just don't see it changing. Maybe it will (most things do), but I don't feel like it's worth doing anymore, and once I reach that point, there has never been a single thing I've picked up again. I've been close to that point with guitar, often beating myself up for not improving, or not meeting goals, instead of enjoying what I *can* do. Being happy, and satisfied, in the moment is worth far, far more to me now than trying to find the next best thing that might gain my limited attention.

Coming from a psychological background, it could be anxiety or depression, or maybe I'm just realizing things. I don't even like watching TV because of ads, don't go to see movies, and rarely go to a restaurant. I go to work, go home, and do the needful. Surprisingly, I'm more at peace than I've ever been in life previously.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Image

I totally forgot to mention; nice "vintage" Newegg box you have there. Their slogan has since changed to "Take it from a geek," as their prices raised, and everyone claimed they were getting screwed.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:Image

I totally forgot to mention; nice "vintage" Newegg box you have there. Their slogan has since changed to "Take it from a geek," as their prices raised, and everyone claimed they were getting screwed.

Lol. Another thing that ebay seller sent that had me and a bass-player co-worker cracking up about, was that he printed the packing/address label for the post office (the delivery/shipping info taped to the face of the box) on the back of some kind of a school exam.. that had a lot of answers marked wrong.

I guess boxes and pieces of blank paper were running a little tight where that old Carvin guitar was gutted to produce those loose vintage pups.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:51 am

That's quite funny! Never had something quite like that, though I've had plenty of local (to the seller) shopping ads as packing material, and had an inverted diaper box once. You should've posted pictures, and maybe we could have debated what the correct answers were :laughhard:

Return to Other Gear