PRS SE Custom 24: Is it a quality guitar?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Leddiebonavaughan

PRS SE Custom 24: Is it a quality guitar?

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:00 am

Hi everyone!

My Question: how is the build quality and overall play-ability of this specific PRS model? I'm considering purchasing it in left-handed in order to replace my current 24 fret guitar. If you have any experience with it, left or right handed, I would appreciate your input.

Now for some context.

Leddie here. It's been a very long time since I've been on these forums, but I'm glad to be back. Unfortunately with a new account name (lost my old one). At any rate, I'm still loving my 2011 Bolt +. It still gets most of my calls when performing. But today I've got a new dilemma.

PRS has FINALLY come out with a left handed version of their Custom 24 SE. I'm ecstatic because I've wanted a PRS (even though it's an import) for a long time but couldn't swing the $3,000-$4,500 or more price tag for a lefty. Additionally, I need to get rid of my current 24 fret guitar due to it's being equipped with a licensed Floyd trem and being such a pain for me to keep up. I need something with significantly less input required.

My Floyd-equipped guitar is a 2011 Jackson DK2L (L for left-handed). It's an import as well, but it's of good quality with great seymour duncan pickups. It's a good guitar with great play-ability, but I'm just over dealing with the tuning issues that a floyd presents. Last night was the final straw. I played outdoors and the weather significantly affected my tuning to the point where it was affecting the show and I ran out of fine-tuner space. I couldn't stop the show and grab an allen wrench and I didn't bring a backup 24-fret. This prompted me to finally look at replacing the guitar as I rarely use the floyd for it's dive-bomb glory except for fun at home. I had these tuning issues even though I have a Tremol-No equipped on the trem.

I'd prefer a Kiesel 24 fret, but my current budget doesn't allow for the $1100-1300 price tag a new Kiesel would run me. Plus, I have to use my 24-fret again for TSO stuff soon. I wouldn't be able to wait for my guitar to be built.

Well, that's the background. If you made it this far, thank you for reading. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, from experience with this specific SE Custom 24 to any other thoughts and comments. Have a great day everyone!

-Leddie

TylerE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: PRS SE Custom 24: Is it a quality guitar?

Postby TylerE » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:21 pm

They're darn nice $500 guitars.

But it's still a $500 guitar. Fit and finish is excellent, but the components are 2nd rate.

(And actually in the case of the custom it's a $500 guitar with $250 of bird inlay).

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:51 am

Thank you very much for the reply! This does help me in my considerations. I've been watching YouTube videos and listening to sound files(with quality speakers), and for my options as a lefty and my budget, this guitar looks like the best 24 fret option available. Now just to sell my Jackson...

Thank you again!

-Leddie

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:50 am

There's a left-handed version of this? I feel a bad case of GAS coming on...

Welcome back to the forums as well, Leddie!
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 pm

There sure is! It looks beautiful too. I'm doing my due diligence and checking a myriad of reviews. So far, every one of them has come back as saying it's a very good guitar. Especially for the money. I'm thinking I will pull the trigger if I can sell my Jackson.

In full disclosure, I'd love a 24 fret Kiesel, but at the moment, my budget simply doesn't allow for it. At any rate, I think I'll get a good 24 fret in the PRS SE model.

-Leddie

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Leddiebonavaughan wrote:There sure is! It looks beautiful too. I'm doing my due diligence and checking a myriad of reviews. So far, every one of them has come back as saying it's a very good guitar. Especially for the money. I'm thinking I will pull the trigger if I can sell my Jackson.

In full disclosure, I'd love a 24 fret Kiesel, but at the moment, my budget simply doesn't allow for it. At any rate, I think I'll get a good 24 fret in the PRS SE model.

-Leddie

What kind of Jackson do you have? If it's an MIJ, MIM, or MIA, you'd be trading down by selling it for a PRS SE IMO.

EDIT: A bit of research shows it's probably MIM. I personally wouldn't sell that to acquire a PRS SE. If the trem is that big of an issue, just get a Tremol-no.

DOUBLE EDIT: Which licensed Floyd is it? If it's the FR1000, then it's an MIM; if it's the 580LP, then it's an MIJ and you even *more* shouldn't sell it.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqeNLJZxuKg

This guy claims to like the SE better than a more expensive PRS he's played. It's brighter-sounding, which may or may not be your kind of thing. I'm seriously considering getting one of these because I really want a PRS but don't want to spend $3000-4000+ on one.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Cynical wrote:
Leddiebonavaughan wrote:There sure is! It looks beautiful too. I'm doing my due diligence and checking a myriad of reviews. So far, every one of them has come back as saying it's a very good guitar. Especially for the money. I'm thinking I will pull the trigger if I can sell my Jackson.

-Leddie

What kind of Jackson do you have? If it's an MIJ, MIM, or MIA, you'd be trading down by selling it for a PRS SE IMO.

EDIT: A bit of research shows it's probably MIM. I personally wouldn't sell that to acquire a PRS SE. If the trem is that big of an issue, just get a Tremol-no.

DOUBLE EDIT: Which licensed Floyd is it? If it's the FR1000, then it's an MIM; if it's the 580LP, then it's an MIJ and you even *more* shouldn't sell it.

It's a MIJ Jackson. I checked the guitar itself and it's says, "Made in Japan". I played it a bit today. It's just a "meh" feeling guitar for me now. Especially since I can tune up any of my other guitars easily as they all have either quality tuners or locking tuners. My Carvin is still my dreamboat guitar, and it blows the Jackson out of the water on almost every level. The only one that comes close to rivaling my Carving is my Gibson SG, and even that's a distant second.

The sound of the Jackson is amazing. Chords and single notes sound wonderful, but the playability simply isn't there for me. Still, I have heard about a wonder-luthier about 30 mins from me. I may try a last ditch effort to have him set it up for me and see how it feels from there. I don't want to throw away money, but I also don't want to keep a guitar that isn't working for me.

So far, I've liked everything I've seen and heard about the SE Custom 24s. Maybe I'll be able to buy the guitar outright depending on how deep a discount I can get from my place of work. Only time will tell haha.

-Leddie

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:09 pm

It's a pretty great guitar for the money. I'm not sure where you live, but if you order it from an online shop, make sure you give it at least a day in the case (even in the box) without touching it. The factory setups on these guitars can be really wonky and putting your hands on it too early can cause warpage.

That said, it'll probably be worth it to have a pro setup done before judging it.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:57 pm

Leddiebonavaughan wrote:
Cynical wrote:

-Leddie

It's a MIJ Jackson. I checked the guitar itself and it's says, "Made in Japan". I played it a bit today. It's just a "meh" feeling guitar for me now. Especially since I can tune up any of my other guitars easily as they all have either quality tuners or locking tuners. My Carvin is still my dreamboat guitar, and it blows the Jackson out of the water on almost every level. The only one that comes close to rivaling my Carving is my Gibson SG, and even that's a distant second.

The sound of the Jackson is amazing. Chords and single notes sound wonderful, but the playability simply isn't there for me. Still, I have heard about a wonder-luthier about 30 mins from me. I may try a last ditch effort to have him set it up for me and see how it feels from there. I don't want to throw away money, but I also don't want to keep a guitar that isn't working for me.

So far, I've liked everything I've seen and heard about the SE Custom 24s. Maybe I'll be able to buy the guitar outright depending on how deep a discount I can get from my place of work. Only time will tell haha.

-Leddie

If an MIJ Jackson is "meh" feeling to you, you are highly unlikely to be impressed by a PRS SE. The Jackson is definitely a higher-quality guitar.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:18 am

Price range isn't everything. It's all about how a guitar feels and sounds, and you have to try it out to see if it's right for you. Personally if I didn't like a more expensive guitar and felt it needed to go I'd sell it.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:41 am

I've tried to post a reply 4 times and it hasn't sent. I'm gonna let it rest for now. I'll just say simply that the Jackson isn't working for me, I'd rather have a 24 fret Kiesel if I had the cash, but the lefty SE seems like a good middle of the road.

-Leddie :rockon:

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:37 am

2Plus2isChicken wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqeNLJZxuKg

This guy claims to like the SE better than a more expensive PRS he's played. It's brighter-sounding, which may or may not be your kind of thing. I'm seriously considering getting one of these because I really want a PRS but don't want to spend $3000-4000+ on one.

Duuude...if you really want a real Maryland made PRS save your $$$, sell some gear and get the real deal. PLUS...if you ever part out they tend to retain their value pretty decently..at least the lefty ones.

I am lefty and have played those SE guitars. Not my cup of tea, they just sound and feel - to my ears and hands - like cheap guitars. I guess they are ok for what they cost. It's like comparing a Les Paul to its Epiphone counterpart. Some Epiphones are cool for what they cost but it's just not the same.

The guy in the video can say whatever he wants haha. He's actually a good guitar player BTW and has done a bunch of reviews. I remember seeing other videos in the past. But IMHO there's no way those SE guitars come close to a higher level PRS.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 am

Well I've owned enough guitars to say I can't justify spending that much on one. I'm not even sure why a USA-made PRS costs so much. It's not going to be $3000 better than the SE model so to me it's a waste of money. There's nothing you can do to a guitar past $1,000 to make it better. Nicer woods, maybe, made in the USA obviously, but the SE looks awesome and I don't really care about where it's made. As long as it plays nice and stays in tune I'm fine. I'm waiting for Sam Ash to call with one in stock for me to try. That's one thing Kiesel has against it. I'm not paying for a guitar without trying it first anymore.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:32 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:Well I've owned enough guitars to say I can't justify spending that much on one. I'm not even sure why a USA-made PRS costs so much. It's not going to be $3000 better than the SE model so to me it's a waste of money. There's nothing you can do to a guitar past $1,000 to make it better. Nicer woods, maybe, made in the USA obviously, but the SE looks awesome and I don't really care about where it's made. As long as it plays nice and stays in tune I'm fine. I'm waiting for Sam Ash to call with one in stock for me to try. That's one thing Kiesel has against it. I'm not paying for a guitar without trying it first anymore.

You could have been able to afford that guitar a long time ago :mrgreen:

I was underwhelmed with the couple of SEs I tried, and would much prefer their USA-made counter parts. Your experience might be different and you might fall in love with them.

As to why are USA-made PRS so expensive? Same reason why other USA made brands are so expensive: name brand, labor is higher, snobbiness, specific options not available anywhere else, etc. BUT...there are some exceptions, as there are some instruments that are built to some specs you cannot find in their overseas counterparts.

Anyway, I agree with you. Higher price does not necessarily mean something is better. That's why you have to try and see what sounds/feels good.

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:13 pm

I've got to say, I played a lefty PRS Custom 22 once in red flamed maple that was brilliantly gorgeous. I've never seen anything before or since that is quite as spectacular. But what was even more impressive was how it played. Arguably in the top 3 best playing and sounding guitars i've ever played in my entire life. However, $3000+? I just couldn't swing it.

If this SE could get even 2/3rds of that magic mojo, it would be the deal of the century. Regardless, I need to do something about my 24 fret situation. Like I said, it's just not working for me with the floyd and the locking nut. The strings were out of tune again before a recent performance and I just had to suck it up and deal with it.

As I mentioned, I'd prefer a 24 fret Kiesel, but I have to live within my means at the moment. Loving this thread though. EXCELLENT opinions and commentary. I sincerely appreciate all of your thoughts and input! Thank you!

-Leddie

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Leddiebonavaughan wrote:I've got to say, I played a lefty PRS Custom 22 once in red flamed maple that was brilliantly gorgeous. I've never seen anything before or since that is quite as spectacular. But what was even more impressive was how it played. Arguably in the top 3 best playing and sounding guitars i've ever played in my entire life. However, $3000+? I just couldn't swing it.

If this SE could get even 2/3rds of that magic mojo, it would be the deal of the century. Regardless, I need to do something about my 24 fret situation. Like I said, it's just not working for me with the floyd and the locking nut. The strings were out of tune again before a recent performance and I just had to suck it up and deal with it.

As I mentioned, I'd prefer a 24 fret Kiesel, but I have to live within my means at the moment. Loving this thread though. EXCELLENT opinions and commentary. I sincerely appreciate all of your thoughts and input! Thank you!

-Leddie

What you described has been my experience with the higher end PRS guitars I've tried.

If you are in a bind and need to get something cheaper asap that's understandable.

If I was in your shoes, I would try to figure out how to properly set up that annoying floyd rose and save money until I could get a higher end PRS...or whatever other good guitar you want.

Man, by the time you add all the money you spend on cheaper guitars over the years, a higher end guitar would have paid for itself aldreay. It' "hurts" more to pay $3,000 for one guitar than buying six guitars worth $500 each over a number of years. But it is the same money at the end.

A $3,000 PRS is really not that far out of reach if that's what you really want. Where there's a will there's a way...and thank gawd you are not a violin or cello player. Those things are really expensive :laughhard:

Just my 2 cents.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm generally a fan of cheap guitars, but they usually don't end up being keepers.
My Yamaha Mike Stern Tele ($250) is my all time favorite find.
I have a Vox SC33 that can kick some serious ass for under $400.

The cheap PRSs look odd to me with their beveled tops. *yuk
I just don't dig them. I've played a couple and wasn't really blown away by them.
Test drive as many as you can - that's probably the best idea. I've been searching for a cheap fender tele to take home as of late. Haven't found a good one yet.

I own a Custom 24 (1994ish) and didn't pay 3K for it. I think it was around the low 2s with a 10 top / birds / wide thin/ custom finish (at the time at least).
I can honestly say it's worth every dam penny I paid. My desert island guitar.
Zero issues with it after all of these years - at least none that weren't user related!
A one of a kind sound - I can listen back to old recordings and tell when I was using that guitar.
Maybe not all big money guitar purchases are worth it, but this one was.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:30 pm

arahobob wrote:Test drive as many as you can - that's probably the best idea.

This is true for any price range, but even more so as you drop your price as not only can quality go down, but so does consistency.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:21 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
arahobob wrote:Test drive as many as you can - that's probably the best idea.

This is true for any price range, but even more so as you drop your price as not only can quality go down, but so does consistency.

Very true. Good example of that is with Epiphone guitars.

Return to Other Gear