PRS SE Custom 24: Is it a quality guitar?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Don
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: PRS SE Custom 24: Is it a quality guitar?

Postby Don » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:44 am

I bought a new PRS SE Soapabr II several years ago for $289. It was a very nice guitar- alnico mag pickups, aluminum tailpiece, decent tuners... The molded plastic nut wasn't great. Other than that, it was as nice as any US made Fender or Gibson I had played.

A friend had a US made Santana. Wow! It was like it had been sprinkled with magic dust! Heads and shoulders better than almost any electric guitar I had played at that time and in ways that I couldn't even express.

I eventually bought a used DC150 that was almost as nice as the Santana and sold the Soapy, but it was a nice guitar.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:05 am

Yea those USA made Santana models are really amazing guitars. I tried one upside down (cause I'm lefty) a few years ago and I was really impressed with that instrument. But boy....look at the price!! :wall:
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:26 am

Believe me, I'd buy a USA-made PRS, but I'm on a budget. Buying a $1200 Carvin is a big purchase for me. I've decided to be more picky about what I buy, so even this PRS SE could be a non-purchase if it doesn't feel right and doesn't stay in tune. The staying in tune thing is going to be my main deciding factor in buying a guitar from now on. If I pick it up off the rack and it doesn't stay in tune I won't buy it. Even on my most expensive Carvin I fight tuning issues, and I expect better out of any guitar I pay that much for.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:52 pm

It's funny you mention violins bob, because I'm actually a classically trained violinist. My performance instrument cost me thousands more than the PRS. But as you have already alluded, they are a different game entirely. My violin is an incredible instrument with beautiful projection and tone. What sucks is that lefties are even more rare in the violin world than they are in the guitar world. So really, I don't have much to complain about.

Even so, I definitely plan on playing as many guitars as I can, as everyone suggests. The jury is still out on whether or not I will try and save up my money. Little things keep cropping up that hinder me from piling up cash. For example, I now need to prioritize a new 1x12 speaker cabinet over a new guitar, so there's a new search. One day I hope to get a USA PRS, but that may simply have to wait. In the meantime, I'll be trying out as many SEs as I can, lefty and otherwise. Probably even different brands that offer me the 24 frets with the other specs I desire.

Thank you all for your comments thus far. They have really given me great food for thought. Especially reminding me of the drop in QC along with the drop in price.

-Leddie

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:28 am

Leddiebonavaughan wrote:It's funny you mention violins bob, because I'm actually a classically trained violinist. My performance instrument cost me thousands more than the PRS. But as you have already alluded, they are a different game entirely. My violin is an incredible instrument with beautiful projection and tone. What sucks is that lefties are even more rare in the violin world than they are in the guitar world. So really, I don't have much to complain about.

Even so, I definitely plan on playing as many guitars as I can, as everyone suggests. The jury is still out on whether or not I will try and save up my money. Little things keep cropping up that hinder me from piling up cash. For example, I now need to prioritize a new 1x12 speaker cabinet over a new guitar, so there's a new search. One day I hope to get a USA PRS, but that may simply have to wait. In the meantime, I'll be trying out as many SEs as I can, lefty and otherwise. Probably even different brands that offer me the 24 frets with the other specs I desire.

Thank you all for your comments thus far. They have really given me great food for thought. Especially reminding me of the drop in QC along with the drop in price.

-Leddie

What an odd coincidence that I made that comment about violinists and you happen to be one hahah LOL! So buying a high end guitar should not be too difficult for you then psychologically speaking :mrgreen:

Having good guitar amps and speaker cabs is certainly just as important. Personally, I would focus on getting a good guitar first, and then the amps/speakers.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Sam Ash still hasn't called me back to tell me if they have the lefty PRS in stock, and apparently they're the only store around that sells them, at least online. I don't know if I'll ever get to try one.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:52 pm

Bob, you're right. It's not a big task mentally wrapping my head around spending that much on an instrument, it's just making sure the wallet can actually swing it, hahaha. I'd love to drop the cash on the PRS, I just don't see it being feasible at the moment. I think I'd actually prefer a straight radius of the compound radius of the USA PRS's. I still wouldn't send it back to the store though. The ones I've played have all been top tier instruments.

2plus2, try Sweetwater. I know they are selling them online. However, they don't have any retail locations. You might have to "buy it so you can try it" and then return it if you don't want it. I may end up having to do the same thing. I watched Shane's video from In The Blues and he absolutely makes that thing talk. It sounds fantastic. Definitely threw lighter fluid on my Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. hahaha.

Return to Other Gear